"Best" U.S. President

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

lostinamerica

Forum Member
Oct 10, 2001
Between Green Bay and Iowa City
(1) Abraham Lincoln

"I have said that President Lincoln was a white man, and shared the prejudices common to his countrymen towards the colored race. Looking back to his times and to the condition of his country, we are compelled to admit that this unfriendly feeling on his part may be safely set down as one element of his wonderful success in organizing the loyal American people for the tremendous conflict before them, and bringing them safely through that conflict. His great mission was to accomplish two things: first, to save his country from dismemberment and ruin; and, second, to free his country from the great crime of slavery. To do one or the other, or both, he must have the earnest sympathy and the powerful cooperation of his loyal fellow-countrymen. Without this primary and essential condition to success his efforts must have been vain and utterly fruitless. Had he put the abolition of slavery before the salvation of the Union, he would have inevitably driven from him a powerful class of the American people and rendered resistance to rebellion impossible. Viewed from the genuine abolition ground, Mr. Lincoln seemed tardy, cold, dull, and indifferent; but measuring him by the sentiment of his country, a sentiment he was bound as a statesman to consult, he was swift, zealous, radical, and determined . . .

Upon his inauguration as President of the United States, an office, even when assumed under the most favorable condition, fitted to tax and strain the largest abilities, Abraham Lincoln was met by a tremendous crisis. He was called upon not merely to administer the Government, but to decide, in the face of terrible odds, the fate of the Republic.

A formidable rebellion rose in his path before him; the Union was already practically dissolved; his country was torn and rent asunder at the center. Hostile armies were already organized against the Republic, armed with the munitions of war which the Republic had provided for its own defense. The tremendous question for him to decide was whether his country should survive the crisis and flourish, or be dismembered and perish. His predecessor in office had already decided the question in favor of national dismemberment, by denying to it the right of self-defense and self-preservation--a right which belongs to the meanest insect.

Happily for the country, happily for you and for me, the judgment of James Buchanan, the patrician, was not the judgment of Abraham Lincoln, the plebeian. He brought his strong common sense, sharpened in the school of adversity, to bear upon the question. He did not hesitate, he did not doubt, he did not falter; but at once resolved that at whatever peril, at whatever cost, the union of the States should be preserved."

~ Frederick Douglass (April 14, 1876)

(2) George Washington

"Washington was the one truly 'indispensable man.' With his towering prestige, unfaltering leadership, and sterling character, he was perhaps the only man in the history of the presidency bigger than the Government itself.....Although his every move could be deemed a potential precedent binding generations unborn, his foot did not slip once. He made no major mistakes--something that cannot be said of any of his successors.....If we must rank Presidents, Washington, in my judgment, deserves the place at the very top."

~ Historian Thomas A. Bailey, in Presidential Greatness, 1966.

GL

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
Not sure what his deal is.

it's a long story.....but the gist of it is that i am not happy the direction my new adopted son is heading....he wants to get married but he doesn't know to who yet....can you understand my plight ?

Last edited:

kosar

Centrist
Forum Member
Nov 27, 1999
ft myers, fl
it's a long story.....but the gist of it is that i am not happy the directio my new adopted son is heading....he wants to get married but he doesn't know to who yet....can you understand my plight ?

Yessir. I understand. Smurph needs a steady hand, no doubt. And I hope these delusions get cleared up. I love the guy, but i'm worried a little about this 'married' stuff.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Yessir. I understand. Smurph needs a steady hand, no doubt. And I hope these delusions get cleared up. I love the guy, but i'm worried a little about this 'married' stuff.

my biological clock is ticking.

no matter what i do, i can never seem to please dad. ...Hey AR, I know what I'm doing on my stocks now - maybe it's time to get your portfolio in order...