Halladay to Phillies/Lee to Mariners/Lackey to Red Sox

Glenn Quagmire

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2005
He is a top 10 pitcher but you are right. He can walk. The M's aren't gonna get too much unless Bavasi gets a job somewhere else. I don't want the M's to sign him either. Deal him at the deadline if we can find some nice young players. Smoak would be a great deal.

You think Smoak straight-up for Lee would be a great deal? I know he is projected to be a very good player, but he really hasn't proven anything in the majors yet. That just seems a little one-sided to me.

But I do agree that teams will try to screw us because they know we will be desperate to unload him, so you might be right. To be honest, I don't even know if it would be better to trade him early or wait until the deadline. You could probably make arguments both ways.

Glenn Quagmire

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2005
If we get Smoak that would give us an infield of Triunfel (3B), Ackley (2B), Smoak (1B) and Franklin (SS). That could be pretty special. Franklin is a few more years away but it looks like he might have a really nice upside.

I completely forgot about Carlos, which is weird since he's one of our highest rated farm guys. I wouldn't be opposed to getting Smoak at all, I was just under the impression we would get more than that for Lee.

And seriously, the catching position is going to send me to an early grave. Having either Johnson OR Moore on the roster is one thing, but to have both of those guys eating up spots is crazy. Moore actually has some upside, whereas Johnson really doesn't, but so far Moore hasn't lived up to his billing (although he's still very young).

Trampled Underfoot

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 26, 2001
You think Smoak straight-up for Lee would be a great deal? I know he is projected to be a very good player, but he really hasn't proven anything in the majors yet. That just seems a little one-sided to me.

But I do agree that teams will try to screw us because they know we will be desperate to unload him, so you might be right. To be honest, I don't even know if it would be better to trade him early or wait until the deadline. You could probably make arguments both ways.

The problem is that we are trading a player that will be a two month rental. Smoak may have struggled so far but he is going to be a really good player. He is on the level that Jones was when we dealt him. A prospect between 8-20 or so I would say. Perhaps we could get another minor prospect back but that would be a bonus. If we let Lee walk, we get 2 draft picks. So you can get two picks, one possibly as high as spot 16-30, or a player that is ready to produce (Smoak). Unless Smoak looks lost for the next few months, I would like the deal.

Glenn Quagmire

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2005
The problem is that we are trading a player that will be a two month rental. Smoak may have struggled so far but he is going to be a really good player. He is on the level that Jones was when we dealt him. A prospect between 8-20 or so I would say. Perhaps we could get another minor prospect back but that would be a bonus. If we let Lee walk, we get 2 draft picks. So you can get two picks, one possibly as high as spot 16-30, or a player that is ready to produce (Smoak). Unless Smoak looks lost for the next few months, I would like the deal.

Got it. Yeah, the fact that Lee isn't under contract is what's going to kill us (along with the fact that teams will know that we are sellers at the deadline). I knew Smoak was projected highly but I had no idea he was similar to Adam Jones, at least talent-wise. I guess that wouldn't be a bad deal at all then.

And I don't want the draft picks either. That's too much of a crapshoot.

In other news, this quickly turned into a Seattle Mariners/Tacoma Rainiers thread. I'm sure the other members are thrilled. :mj07:

shawn555

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 11, 2000
berlin md
Got it. Yeah, the fact that Lee isn't under contract is what's going to kill us (along with the fact that teams will know that we are sellers at the deadline). I knew Smoak was projected highly but I had no idea he was similar to Adam Jones, at least talent-wise. I guess that wouldn't be a bad deal at all then.

And I don't want the draft picks either. That's too much of a crapshoot.

In other news, this quickly turned into a Seattle Mariners/Tacoma Rainiers thread. I'm sure the other members are thrilled. :mj07:

Texas has some interesting catchers in system.

The mariners more than likely would have to add something to get one and Smoak.

Salty has Macky Sasser syndrome so maybe a change of scenery would help him out, he can completely rake and would cost the Mariners a good amount to get him back.

Taylor Teagarden could be had a lot cheaper but he has really struggled with the bat while up with Texas this year.

Max Ramirez is another interesting name but seems to have a big league job for now.

Glenn Quagmire

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Texas has some interesting catchers in system.

The mariners more than likely would have to add something to get one and Smoak.

Salty has Macky Sasser syndrome so maybe a change of scenery would help him out, he can completely rake and would cost the Mariners a good amount to get him back.

Taylor Teagarden could be had a lot cheaper but he has really struggled with the bat while up with Texas this year.

Max Ramirez is another interesting name but seems to have a big league job for now.

I was being a moron and forgetting that the Pirates most likely won't be in contention at the deadline, so any potential trade with them is probably out.

Yeah, that Mackey Sasser deal is a head-scratcher. I can't figure out why that happens to guys. I've always been a fan of Salty -- very good hitter, which is what the M's need in spades.

Bet on MyBookie