Movie: The Counselor

The Boys

Registered
Forum Member
Oct 17, 2001
Royal Oak, Michigan, a Detroit Suburb
Saw this last night for the second time, really enjoyed this film.

Legendary filmmaker Ridley Scott and Pulitzer Prize winning author Cormac McCarthy (No Country for Old Men) have joined forces in the motion picture thriller THE COUNSELOR, starring Michael Fassbender, Pen?lope Cruz, Cameron Diaz, Javier Bardem, and Brad Pitt. McCarthy, making his screenwriting debut and Scott interweave the author's characteristic wit and dark humor with a nightmarish scenario, in which a respected lawyer's one-time dalliance with an illegal business deal spirals out of control.

Rotten Tomatoes

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Just being honest, I thought both movies were horrible :(

kneifl

you were right...the dialogue was overwrought and overdone...terrible casting(what a waste of bardem...fassbender is boring....Cameron diaz?...lol)....

bad gradpa wasn`t what I thought it would be...I figured separate candid camera-like skits based on the character...it was more like a bad road movie...all the filler with the kid was a waste...

really disappointing

The Joker

Registered
Forum Member
Aug 3, 2008
Tennessee
www.madjacksports.com
A review found online.

"The Counselor" comes across as a slick action-filled crime caper film at first glance. However as you watch it, you will realize that it was actually mostly long-winded, unrealistically philosophical conversations and monologues from the most unlikely of characters. I think the main problem is the turgid and generally lifeless script which the talents of the director nor the actors could save."

The Joker

Registered
Forum Member
Aug 3, 2008
Tennessee
www.madjacksports.com
From yet another reviewer.....

"I don't know how anyone could really enjoy this movie unless they were looking for something with no action, no plot and dialog performed by actors who seem more bored than I was just watching the film. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was the worst or even one of the worst movies I've ever seen, because it very easily could have made for a decent watch, I just have absolutely no idea what the director was trying to do."

The Joker

Registered
Forum Member
Aug 3, 2008
Tennessee
www.madjacksports.com
From another reviewer.....

"This was the type of movie that when you see the preview you say to yourself "Wow, this looks like a good action/thriller". Unfortunately, the trailer was much better than the actual movie."

The Joker

Registered
Forum Member
Aug 3, 2008
Tennessee
www.madjacksports.com
Another reviewer.....

"The screenplay is so badly written that the plot isn't clear in a totally unnecessary way. There are so many stupid things like why didn't Penelope's character get out of town straight away? What about Javier's character he knew he was in trouble too. The speeches by the characters are okay but hardly compensate for the story. The only good point is the ending is realistic didn't have any cute rescues but it was just so depressing."

The Joker

Registered
Forum Member
Aug 3, 2008
Tennessee
www.madjacksports.com
One of many reviews saying the same thing........

"What a disappointing movie.

Nothing makes sense and everyone looks like a secondary leading character.

You star with no idea what is the weight and story of the leading character, the Counselor. And it just doesn't build up. As you see great actors coming in the movie story, you tend to build expectation that soon are to be defrauded in hallow characters that just don't meet the expectations.

Just an horrible movie to spend your money in.

One of those cases where the trailer exceeds the movie."

The Joker

Registered
Forum Member
Aug 3, 2008
Tennessee
www.madjacksports.com
Last one........

"I read many reviews stating that it's the worst movie of 2013..and I'm wondering in what other year you can find something worse than this.

Of course it's also a problem of expectations. You have Ridley, the director of some of my favorite movies. You have Cormac..wow..The Road. You have a great cast.

But what you get out of this is: a) A drug deal with no drug, and no deal. And no dealers. b) The "best-Razzie-ever" sex scene with a Ferrari. c) Dialouges made out of randomly selected sentences from blog-level philosophers speculating on how bad is life and worlds made out of worlds to destroy worlds created by worlds.

On the positive side, you have two talented cheetahs acting there. Hope their career won't be jeopardized by this appearance."

Bet on MyBookie