Rugby World Cup (Continued)

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

hoss

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
England
too much junk on the old thread so time to start again :)

2pts Romania (+47) v Argentina 10/11 Ladbrokes (+ tote/Bet365/V.Chandler etc!) - forget Romania's destruction at the hands of the Wallabies+ remember the game against Ireland.
The only teams who've won by this big a margin are Australia, NZ (twice), England and Ireland (v Namibia + you know what I think of them!). Argentina are probably 20-25pts behind the top nations with their first team, many of whom don't play tomorrow as they are being saved for the crucial game v Ireland at the weekend. The Argentinian coach was not happy with the tight scheduling of their games + has stated his intention to keep his main men out the game if possible. This includes Pichot and Quesada, whose goalkicking was so good in their last game.

the weather forecast is for some scattered showers, but I don't trust the site anymore!

I can see the Argies winning easily, but 47 is a lot - 7 converted tries!

One additional play: 0.5pt Bouza 1st tryscorer - 20/1 Boylesports - plenty of 16s elsewhere.
I've noticed that the forwards seem to be scoring a lot of points against these weaker teams - their backs can still tackle but the forwards have been getting completely overpowered. The Argentinian pack walked all over Namibia, so I'm hoping for a scrum near the goal line + a pushover try for the Argies no. 8 :D

Pumpkin

Forum Member
May 9, 2002
Canberra, Australia
In defence of the bom site the storm that hit Canberra yesterday was unlike anything I've seen in over 20 odd years living here - particulary in October. Those type of freak storms happen more in Feb-Mar

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

hoss

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
England
Well that was a real pisser! Argentina win by 47 - there's no push here so its a loser - Quesada came on as sub + kicked a conversation from the touchline to scupper the bet + then Romania had a penalty to get us home + chose to kick for touch instead.

To cap it all my 20/1 chance Bouza scored two tries, but not the first!

Oh well, 2 bets tomorrow:

2pts Fiji (-9) 10/11 Stan james - v Japan - taking the view that whilst I've been impressed with Japan, Scotland aren't the best opposition + France never really got going against them. Fiji have recalled Serevi to fly half, so expect plenty of sevens style (+ probably error strewn) rugby.
The provisional handicap line on Betfair for this match before the finals started was 27.5, and whilst thats obviously way too many, I think the handicap is an overreaction.

Also going to add to my ante-post portfolio: 1pt e/w Mat Rogers top tryscorer 12/1 Boylesports 1/4 1234 (think it's even bigger with Canbet) - got 3 tries already + moved from the fullback spot to the wing for the game against Namibia - got to fancy he'll get a couple here, which should put him in the frame at least.

good luck
hoss

Record now 9/7 +5.2pts:)

crookycymru

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2002
Wales (United Kingdom)
Hoss,

I really like the Rogers bet. 12/1 is certainly a huge price!! :rolleyes:

I am passing tomorrows game between Japan and Fiji. Too many ifs and buts.....and after thinking about the game during my five hour drive home tonight, I still didnt get any closer to the result than when I left! :p I am surprised that Fiji dropped Nicky Little, as he was one of their better players against the Americans, and I think the Sarevi gamble will backfire a little. Japan have also brought in some new faces which has confused me even more, but there is no doubt that have been amongst the surprise packages in this years tournament. However, I still feel layers over rate Fiji slightly, so I am really looking forward to the game, without having to have a bet.

Good Luck...:)

UT-Longhorn

U.T. Texas Ex
Forum Member
Jul 13, 2002
Texas
Do either of you guys think Japan could or would pull the upset here? Is the Japan ML worth a play or not? what do you think?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

boris

Forum Member
Feb 15, 2000
Aussie abroad
Strong tip for Japan to win the game from the pros, not just cover the spread... Fiji not looking so great so far.

Pumpkin

Forum Member
May 9, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Give Japan a real show here.

They have proved that they play solid rugby with great structures and managed to put 29 points on the french. Fiji will lose teir way once again with stupid errors and not keeping to the game plan.

Can see Japan kicking away with this and will be taking the 13+ price on the margins at anything bigger than $8.50. Alos think the crowd has been an influence in most games and particulary up in Townsville where they have been supporting Japan all the way.

I'll be cheering with them

Nipon!Nipon! :D

Play 2pts Japn 13+ $10 at IASbet

hoss

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
England
Fiji 41 Japan 13 :D

As many games seem to be - very tight until half time + then the 'better' side kicking on in the 2nd half. Fiji scored a couple of typically spectacular tries late on, but Japan accredited themselves well yet again. Was worried at halftime as it looked like I'd put up my 3rd loser on the trot! (don't think I've done that before on Rugby on here!:p ).

Lines are out for the next 7 games :cool: - I'll post my plays now (in case the lines change ;) ) + hopefully post reasons later.

2pts South Africa (-63) v Georgia - the underdogs here have to be looking forward to their 'cup final' v Uruguay. They picked up a few knocks vs Samoa (unsurprisingly!) + face a South African side that has promised to play exciting rugby. Obviously its a lot to give away, but I'm hoping the South Africans will want to but on a show to get in the first team for the Quarter final.

1pt Tonga (+70.5) v NZ 10/11 (superodds) - risking a point on a bad weather forecast ( :shrug: ) and a Tongan side thats not usually prone to shipping loads of points. (except the 101 v England in '99!)

3pts Wales v Italy (-10) - not impressed with Italy + Wales have decided to put out their proper team :moon: .

find other games tricky at the moment - f.w.i.w my handicaps were Argentina (+6) v Ireland, Scotland (+21) v France, Namibia (+81) v Australia and Samoa (+43) v England. I know a couple of these differ a bit from the handicaps out there, but I need to think about a couple of things first :D (do think the Argies could give Ireland a hard time though!)

Record 10/7 +7pts

good luck
hoss:)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

crookycymru

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2002
Wales (United Kingdom)
Back to the business end at last after what have been the worst two days I have ever seen on Madjacks.

Congrats to Hoss today on a easy cover. Yet to watch the second half, but after watching the first half, I always thought Fiji could run away with the game when they wanted to.

Friday 24 October

New Zealand vs Tonga

I for one, have been incredibly unimpressed with the All Blacks so far. While they have destroyed very weak opposition in the first two matches, what has surprised me is their lack of structure, and the endless handling errors they are comitting. They only piled on the points towards the end of the second half when the part time Canadians tired, but they are up against a physical team tomorrow, who will not dodge the challenge up front. Behind, the All Blacks will have far too much, especially with the pace out wide, but if the Tongans can spoil a lot of ball, it will frustrate the All Blacks, and at least keep the score down. It would not surprise me one bit to see the New Zealanders trounce them, but I think it is more likely we will see a fifty or sixty point thrashing as opposed to over seventy.

1 Point Tonga (+70.5) at SuperOdds

South Africa vs Georgia

Hoss has said a lot here that is completely valid about this match up. The fact that Springbok coach Rudolf Straueli has opened up selection to the whole of his squad suggest the players coming in will be chomping at the bit to impress. And those players are not bad either-you have seasoned players in Stefan Terblanche and Breyton Paulse out wide, and a number of physical forwards who can compete with the one Georgian strength-their power up front.
What was not said is that Samoa put over forty on this lot, and Samoa are not the world class team the Springboks are.
Expect this to be pretty ugly!

2 Points South Africa (-63) at 5/6 with Bet365

I will be updating the Celtic League rugby thread shortly before the New Zealand game, and back with more World Cup plays tomorrow evening.

Good Luck :)

Edited-Upgrading South African to a two point bet.

Last edited:

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
May 26, 2002
Canada
good luck guys.........good job so far :)

and as for madjack sponsors........as of right now you can get Tongo +70.5 ($1.91) at betcris

by the way hoss.......currently NAMBI is +78.5 ($1.91) at betcris......just thought I'd let ya know.

(and Gareth you got e-mail!)

Anders

Bandit
Forum Member
Dec 17, 2000
New Zealand
Sheesh, someone's gotta back the ABs :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know, we've been pretty bloody average to date.... but that won't continue for ever .... and we still scored 70 v the Italians and 68 v the Candians...and Italy beat Tonga by 24....and this ain't even Tonga's top side.....mosta these guys are club rugby players from Auckland....kinda like our line-up tonite....MacDonald has played enough rugby at centre for me to be comfortable with him there...Ali Williams shoud get plenty of the pill at lineout time....possibly our strongest front three at setpiece time ... weather schmeather...

ABs -70.5 x 2 units

Better still - NZ by 61-90 pts @ $1.75 x 5 units

:eek:

GL all :)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Pumpkin

Forum Member
May 9, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Have to agree with Anders,

Tonga aren't that strong up front and out wide they have nothing. If it wasn't for their fullback last week the welsh would've flogged them.

If the weather holds off it has to be a minus play and no bet if there is rain

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
May 26, 2002
Canada
well kickserv went hard......bet entire account on Tonga +70.5, and I got a great price ($2.00) as well :p

so I'm all happy........I see hoss and crooky are on it, and I check the weather and it looks bad.............so I click back on madjacks and i see that Anders and Pumpkin like NZ :eek:

CRAP :cursin: :shocked: :hitwithro

Dammit I say.....dammit..........now what the hell am I going to do.....I just placed a huge bet on a sport I know nothing about.....stupid I know.........but I just had some great sex and was feeling all great about myself and decided to just unload on a rugby game..........I had a great day in tennis and hockey and said hey.........let's let it rock...........BUT NOW I READ THAT ANDERS AND PUMPKIN SAY IT'S A BAD PLAY.......Fu** :rant2:

now what should I do :shrug: I mean there is another book that has NZ -68.5......should I take that and maybe get super super lucky and hit a middle????

need some input guys...........2 hours until kick-off (if that's what it is called!!) and I'm looking for advice........

sheesh..........why didn't I see the Anders and Pumpkin post.......

why, why.....why I say :D

bad weather was supposed to be good for Tonga.......ahhhhhhhh :thinking:

help........please help kickserv :eek:

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
May 26, 2002
Canada
and wouldn't NZ want to rest their players if they are up by 40 or more......I mean the game is already done with..........is there any point for them to just keep scoring and/or keep their top guys on the field :shrug:

all they need to do is win and they are a top 4 seed in the QF's, correct?? Doesn't matter how much they win by right :shrug:

UT-Longhorn

U.T. Texas Ex
Forum Member
Jul 13, 2002
Texas
kickserv said:
and wouldn't NZ want to rest their players if they are up by 40 or more......I mean the game is already done with..........is there any point for them to just keep scoring and/or keep their top guys on the field :shrug:

all they need to do is win and they are a top 4 seed in the QF's, correct?? Doesn't matter how much they win by right :shrug:

I hear ya kick, i was about to lay 10 units on the game, then saw them post and now dont know what to do..........

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
May 26, 2002
Canada
well hope they respond.........I could be in some real trouble....:eek:

don't know what the hell to do now :mad: :eek: :shrug:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

UT-Longhorn

U.T. Texas Ex
Forum Member
Jul 13, 2002
Texas
kickserv said:
well hope they respond.........I could be in some real trouble....:eek:

don't know what the hell to do now :mad: :eek: :shrug:

yea, and just in case they dont, im trying to search all over the net for other RUGBY forums and cant find any:shrug:

CranMan

Forum Member
Sep 11, 2003
Sigourney, IA
Another Rugby site

Another Rugby site

kickserv-

At another site that has very detailed write ups on these matches, they predict that N.Z. will win by 60 pts.

Thanks for the tennis selections (need to rebuild my account after loosing $1,365 on Virgina Tech money line last night)