Rugby World Cup (Continued)

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Pumpkin

Forum Member
May 9, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Sorry Kick

Got very busy and didn't get to look before kickoff.

As I stated if it rained i was going to stay out - and I'm glad I did. Normally weather like that helpd the plus, but Tonga seemed to me to be unlucky and catch the All Lbacks trying to prove a points (or points in this case)

As soon as they refused the shot at goal and went for the try in the 1st couple of minutes Tonga were in for a long day.

That being said, with the awful weather they should still have covered 70.5 etc :eek:

Anders

Bandit
Forum Member
Dec 17, 2000
New Zealand
Kyle - geez, sorry mate, wish I'd been around to help ya out :( :( ... and Tex.... :(

Bummer....

:(

Hope I can find something good for ya at another time :shrug:

PAWAQATSI

Kangaroos
Forum Member
Dec 8, 2001
the land of confusion
How the fu** do the Springboks fail to beat Georgia (those giants of international rugby) by 30 or more points, let alone the 60 odd spread??? :mad:

These blokes are a fair dinkum disgrace to the game.....:cuss:

:nooo: :nooo: :nooo:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

crookycymru

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2002
Wales (United Kingdom)
New Zealand 91-7 Tonga
South Africa 46-19 Georgia

Apologies to anybody who followed along. If I could go back a few hours I would still have played these games, but it was just one of those days, and we all have them in gambling.

Tonga cannot expect to give away penalty after penalty and keep the score down against the All Blacks, who were vastly improved. Pawa has already said that the South Africans were a disgrace. To think that these players came in, had a chance of making the test team, but to play with such a lack of passion was infuriating. They made a second string Georgia team look good, and this says a lot. Things are not right in South African rugby. I heard the commentator say before the game that the Boks have not kept the same team for more than two consecutive days in more than four years!! :eek:

Back later with tomorrows games. A day to put behind us all, but lets get back in the black tomorrow. :)

hoss

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
England
Can only echo what Crooky + Pumpkin have already said - NZ went for the throat from the word go + Tongan indiscipline as they got more and more desperate blew the handicap. Only saving grace was the 2 tries Doug Howlett scored:)

South Africa were just crap + unbelievably were getting bossed b the Georgian pack for periods of the second half. would love to see Samoa beat them, but will certainly be looking for a line less than 20 when they play NZ in the 1/4 final, then we will unload bigtime;) . Maybe that's wishful thinking...

As for tomorrow still very keen on Wales. Will cheer on Mat Rogers in the Aussie game + can't make my mind up for the France game - should really back Scotland getting 25 or 26 but I'm struggling to make myself do it :shrug:

good luck whatever you play + well done to those who stuck with the Kiwis :thefinger :D

crookycymru

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2002
Wales (United Kingdom)
Saturday 25 October

Wales vs Italy

The biggest rugby match for a Welshman since we beat the English on that famous day in Wembley Stadium. Defeat is out of the question. The knock back effect would be devestating as what was once a national sport begins to fall under the shadow of Welsh soccer. With all that is going on in Welsh rugby at the moment, it is vital that Wales make the quarter finals. To think that four years ago we had a hope of winning the tournament, and probably gave the Aussies their toughest game in Cardiff, only to be doubting wether we can beat Italy four years later shows how little progress this fiercely proud rugby nation has made.
I could give you all the angles as to why Wales will win, but I will settle for just saying that Wales will win the most important game of rugby a Welsh team has faced in years.

1 Point Wales (-10) available at 10/11 Generally

France vs Scotland

FACT-If France play the kind of rugby that we all know they can, this limited Scottish line up will not be able to compete with the French. What is, and has always been one of rugbys great myths is why the French are superb at times, but resemble a bunch of part timers at others. However, they will rise to the biggest challenge, and this is by far their biggest match in the tournament so far. I believe that maybe barring Clive Woodward, they are coached by the best tactician out there in Bernard Laportes, and I had no hesitation in tipping them as part of my outright 'portfolio' :p (like that one Hoss?? ;) ).
Scotland on the other hand were flattered against USA, while Japan caused them all sorts of problems. Admittedly, their team is experienced enough to cope with the pressures of the match, but they should be smashed up front, and Gregor Townsend, apart have nobody in the backline who can cause France problems. Whats more they decided to leave the one player who has the pace and strength to cause French some problems on the bench.
I am looking for a polished display from France, and eighty minutes of high intensity rugby.

1 Point France (-21) at 10/11 with SportingOdds

Passing over the Australia game. I am not at my best trying to solve matches with these big spreads, and will try to cut back on my plays on these type of games, as it is proving too unpredictable, and whats more unprofitable.

Good Luck :)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

hoss

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
England
Very good Crooky! It's only a 'portfolio' because I've had that many bets that they won't fit on one piece of paper any more:D :moon:

crookycymru

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2002
Wales (United Kingdom)
:D :lol:

I am going to bed. Butterflys are really kicking in now. Up very early ready to put the Welsh bacon, Welsh sausages, Welsh dairy eggs, Welsh black pudding through their process, to eat with a good Welsh loaf of bread.

May even wash it all down with a nice chilled glass of Italian Wine!!! :rolleyes:

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mad,
Tros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.

Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad,
Tra m?r yn fur
I'r bur hoffbau,
O bydded i'r heniaith barhau.

I want you all to sing those words like mad when the anthems are sung at the beginning of the game. If you listen closely, you might even hear me and the pet sheep singing it, wherever you are in the world.

Whats more, maybe the British Bulldog will join in with me as well!!! :shrug:

Nos Da!;142loser:

Pumpkin

Forum Member
May 9, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Very, Very wet in Adelaide

Although I thought the line was small on the Aust game, the weather and the way the SAF reserves played has changed my view. The Saf played as though they were playing there 1st game in ages - which they were :D

The Aust backline has some classy players, but almost all of them haven't played a full game in over a month. It has taken most teams about 10-15mins to get on top of the minnows and if this happens 82 may be too far away. The only thing stopping me having a bigger play is that Nam are easily the worst side in the comp

1pt Nam +82.5

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

british bulldog

Forum Member
Sep 5, 2002
England, u.k.
Gareth

I cant sing those words because I can't bloody understand them, let alone read it. I may whistle "land of my father" though.

Anyway on with the task in hand and that's trying to supply winning plays.

Wales play Italy at Canberra Stadium where the two sides meet for what is in effect a likely place in the last eight of the Rugby World Cup.

I remember growing up and watching the five nations as it was back then in the 70's and marvelled at the jinking runs of Phil Bennett, the reverse pass around his back from Gareth Edwards, the calm JPR Williams with his socks rolled down around his ankles and the other Williams (JJ) flying down the wing. Sorry for those I have failed to mention, although one name escapes me who I would have liked to mention, I think he played in the centre or on the wing. Anyway, that then was one proud rugby nation which produced so many great players before and after those that I mentioned. How things have changed, as Wales have struggled in world rugby for a decade now. Back in those wonder days of the 70s the Welsh performed with passion from the heart and spirit from the sole, just as the Welsh coal mining communities did for each other.

Right now though Welsh rugby has never been so woeful and defeat against Italy will put Welsh rugby back further. This is Wales's chance to encourage todays youth to return to what is their national sport. Make no mistake, the Welsh people love their rugby but over these past ten years the Welsh players have lacked that same passion.

Just when it's not needed Wales have several players who have only a handful of games between them. This may have been forced upon them or it may be coach Steve Hansen's decision, but these lads should need time, but right now that is something Wales don't have.

Wales were asked to constantly battle to control possession and they lacked composure on many occassion against Tonga and that spells danger. Italy's pack are dominant and this is where the game will be won. I see them winning plenty of ball and releasing a good back row. If that doesn't work effectively they have plenty of talent to steal the ball on the ground, get plenty of turnovers and work well in the tackle. One bright spot for Wales is that Iestyn Harris has finally come of age. Some are saying he is a world class number 12, I am not convinced. His kicking game has improved tremendously, both from hand and tee, but question marks still surround his ability to run and break the game line with regularity, bringing the three quarters and wingers into play. Can Wales forwards perform well, win enough ball for their backs and win this game. The answers unfortunatly yes and no. If Wales turn up and perform like they did against England in Cardiff earlier this year, then there is no doubt they will win and win comfortably. However, if it's the same Welsh side that has churned out one poor performance after another, then Italy will win.

I feel that this handicap line is high, and is based more on years past than present. Italy beat Wales convincingly in the Six Nations this year and Wales ended that campaign finishing bottom and collecting the wooden spoon.

I am not saying Wales won't win, I hope they do win, but Italy in receipt of 12 points is to large.

2 points ITALY +12 @ 5/6 (Victor Chandler)

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
May 26, 2002
Canada
ok there Pumpkin...........I'm with ya......

here's my bet:

NAMBIA +82.5 at $1.91

now........this time I'm going to win right :D

if not I'm going to do this :chairshot

just kidding.........but after yesterday's Rugby loss, I just gotta turn it around with a win :)

and oh by the way.......know this is off topic......but it's close to Rugby.........go to the CFL forum.....take Winnipeg -3.0.....amazing spread.......just thought I'd pass it on :p

ok..........now Nambia better come through with a cover :nono:

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
May 26, 2002
Canada
69-0 at the half :eek: :eek:

ok.......this is a joke....it's the world cup for fu**s sake.......how in the hell can one team be so much better then the other.......this game is a complete joke.........I mean something should be done.....69-0 at the half..........score is going to be like 130-0 :eek:

pathetic :mad:

well that's back to back loses for me........this one is not even close....I mean come on....get real.......69-0 at the half :eek:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

UT-Longhorn

U.T. Texas Ex
Forum Member
Jul 13, 2002
Texas
kickserv said:
69-0 at the half :eek: :eek:

ok.......this is a joke....it's the world cup for fu**s sake.......how in the hell can one team be so much better then the other.......this game is a complete joke.........I mean something should be done.....69-0 at the half..........score is going to be like 130-0 :eek:

pathetic :mad:

well that's back to back loses for me........this one is not even close....I mean come on....get real.......69-0 at the half :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Did the Nambia team get back on the bus early?!?! 69-0:eek:

crookycymru

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2002
Wales (United Kingdom)
Kyle,

Agreed that this is a joke! Not good for anyobdy when you see a result like this. The competition to date has been worthwhile, and it has been great to see sides like Georgia compete with the giants, but Australia are showing here what a world class team should do to a team of minnows.

Hope the Boks are watching.....102-0 as I type! :rolleyes:

PAWAQATSI

Kangaroos
Forum Member
Dec 8, 2001
the land of confusion
Some of the funniest 'walk in' trys I have ever seen!! :D
Perhaps the giant is awakening??

Aussie,Aussie,Aussie.....oy...oy...oy!!!

......and pumpkin.....what were you thinking?

Kyle....you got mail :thefinger

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
May 26, 2002
Canada
142-0 final score :eek:

ummmmmm.....think the federation has some decisions to make...

that was a disgrace to sport in general.........

I mean........what's the point of even playing that game :shrug:

and I must say I can't remember the last time I lost a bet in the first 2 minutes of the game :D

hoss

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
England
Quick post:

2pts Argentina (+7) v Ireland 10/11

well done Wales :D :cool:

will update record later

hoss:p

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
May 26, 2002
Canada
ok............I just keep coming back for more..........can I please win....please please please :D

ARGENTINA +7.0 at $1.91

I mean.........come on now.....give kickserv a break...make me win one :p