Rugby World Cup (Continued)

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

hoss

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
England
Well that was bizarre beyond belief!! Wales played out of their skin - I was cheering them on for all I was worth near the end.
Funny how a team can suddenly lift itself to unheard of levels.
However, still think they All Blacks will win the Tournament + will be very interested if anyone gives England less than twenty handicap vs the Welsh;) - wishful thinking maybe

Sorry if anyone followed me today - I had it coming :(

Record now 17/11 +17.1pts:)

ps At least Howlett scored two!:p

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

PAWAQATSI

Kangaroos
Forum Member
Dec 8, 2001
the land of confusion
No worries Hoss....you were due for a miss after such a great run of hits. Still plenty on the pile and more to come I'm sure.

Geez...the Welsh were bloody good hey ?!! :eek:

british bulldog

Forum Member
Sep 5, 2002
England, u.k.
Well you can look at this result between Wales and New Zealand in a number of ways. You could go as far as saying that this was the best performance that Wales have produced so far in the tournament and that if Hansen had gone with his best fifteen starters then perhaps Wales would have won the group. Or, you could say that new Zealand were playing expansive rugby and allowing the opposition space behind the game line and if they needed to play physical tight rugby then they could have chosen to at any time.

ONE THING THAT WAS EVIDENTLY NOTICABLE WAS THAT AS SOON AS WALES GOT WITHIN A FEW POINTS OR TOOK THE LEAD, NEW ZEALAND STEPPED UP ANOTHER LEVEL AND WITHIN A FEW MINUTES WERE BACK IN FRONT AGAIN. THAT IS QUALITY AND THE GULF BETWEEN THESE TWO SIDES. WALES PLAYED A GOOD GAME AND LIKE HOSS, I WAS ROUTING FOR THEM. AFTER ALL, THEY ARE BRITISH. BUT LETS MAKE IT CLEAR, THE WELSH WERE ALLOWED TO PLAY DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE ALL BLACKS WERE CONTENT TO THROW THE BALL ABOUT PLAYING EXPANSIVE RUGBY WHEN THEY HAD THE OPPORTUNITY. AS EARLY AS THE 4th MINUTE NEW ZEALAND WERE AWARDED A PENATLY THAT WAS IN EASY KICKING DISTANCE OF THE POSTS, YET THEY CHOSE TO KICK FOR THE LINE AND HAVE THE LINE OUT. IF THAT IS NOT SHOWING YOUR INTENTIONS OF WANTING TO PLAY OPEN RUGBY, THEN WHAT IS.

:clap: :thumb: Good call Crooky on your countrymen. Now your countrymen have had their time in the competiton and this time next week the Welsh will be flying home.

As for Hoss and me, well we fell for the trap :shrug:

Let's hope you all continue to bag a few winners in the last 7 games.

Early lines for the 1/4 finals

New Zealand giving 15 - 16 to South Africa.

Australia giving 32 - 34 to Scotland. LOOKS A PLAY HERE ON THE AUSSIES.

France giving 12 to Ireland.

England giving 28 - 30 to Wales.

Last edited:

crookycymru

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2002
Wales (United Kingdom)
Nice one Derek.....how did I know it would be a Englishman who would be the first on here to take a pop at the All Blacks, rather than praise the Welsh, which is probably the best performance by a British team in World Cup history.

True, the All Blacks play a expansive game, but that is no surprise. The All Blacks came out, expecting to do what they did against Tonga. Anybody who says the All Blacks under performed are liars. It is impossible to defend against the type of rugby these sides played today. We saw Samoa play at that intensity for fifteen minutes against England....France did it against the All Blacks in the last World Cup and won. Very few teams can defend against expansive rugby played at its best. We could all snore our way through Johnny Wilkinson banging over penalties time and time again, but this was the game of the World Cup without a doubt, and a massive credit should go to the Welsh.

As for the All Blacks always being in control, you may be right, but the All Blacks were definitely rattled when Wales took the lead. And lets not forget that the game turned on the worst decision since Tony Blair went to war, and that was the ref adjudging that Howletts try was not a forward pass. :nono:

I would not get so smug about your chances next week. True, I cannot see England playing and defending like that, but if Wales play at the same pace as today, your boys are in trouble. We saw England not have a look in in fifteen minutes when Samoa ran the ball at the English, and Wales will do exactly the same next week if they had any sense, and if Charvis can get to Johnny Wilkinson and rattle him, you are looking at a sub-standard England. :moon:

However, you came into the thread after being absent for a while, and made a rash statement that a All Blacks reserve team would put thirty plus on a Welsh first fifteen. You probably made that comment without much thought, and it has backfired on you in spectacular style! :p

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

alb

Forum Member
Oct 30, 1999
Gibraltar
Okay want I really want to know is what does cymru stand for? I saw a spectator in the crowd with sunglasses and written on them was CYMRU. For a moment there, I thought the 'crooky' was at the game.

crookycymru

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2002
Wales (United Kingdom)
This thread has come to its end, so I will open another thread for the latter stages of the competition.

The two threads on the World Cup have been of the highest quality throughout, and thanks to Anders, Hoss and Pumpkin, it has been an absolute goldmine for anybody who has followed. ;)

Anders stands on the verge of a huge profits with his props, while Hoss has been outstanding with his picks throughout, as has Pumpkin whose help has been invaluable.

From a personal point of view, I could not be happier. After a tough start, losing three units in one Friday, I ended the tournament with 8-0 from my last eight picks, which has brought me to a healthy profit. Whats more, my prop bets are bang on course for a payout, although I would swap my five units on Wales for a Welsh win next week without hesitation. :p

On the outright market, I am still happy with my selections, and I still feel the winner of the semi final in France's half of the draw, will win the Webb Ellis Trophy.

2003 Rugby World Cup :

16-5 (76%) +12.64 Units (+?1264 Calculated to a ?100 Unit Stake)

crookycymru

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2002
Wales (United Kingdom)
To answer your question Cymru=Wales in our own Welsh language.

We actually have our own language in Wales, although only a small percentage of Welsh actually speak their own language. Luckily for me I was moved from a English speaking school to a rare Welsh speaking school when I was eight, and can now count myself as one of the small percentage who are fluent. :)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

british bulldog

Forum Member
Sep 5, 2002
England, u.k.
What is up with you Gareth.

I said Wales played a good game, go back and read the posting.

Is it no wonder that I post very little on the forum when hypocrits like you post comments that continue to backstab at me. You did it in "batter up" but you got laughed out of there and then you ask me to post in here and every time I do you have to make a remark.

Well I am through with your pathetic comments, and going back to last week you still have not contacted the site that you say I am supplying rugby plays to and also not come up with documented proof that I don't stake what I say I do. But that is what I said you would do because you are nothing more than a jealous and pathetic little boy.

BY THE WAY, DON'T BOTHER THANKING ME ABOUT THE 12/1 WINNER I GAVE YOU BACK IN MAY BEFORE I POSTED ON THE COMMUNITY PAGES WITH HOWARD BECOMING NEXT TORY LEADER. I GUESS YOU WOULD HAVE GONE ALONG YOUR MERRY WAY AND SAID NOTHING, BUT THAT SUMS YOU UP. ALTHOUGH NOT CONFIRMED I TOLD YOU TO PLAY AT LADBROKES AND THEY HAVE DECIDED TO PAY OUT AS FROM TODAY.