Service Plays Thursday 3/20

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

eddieh8823

Forum Member
Dec 3, 2007
GOOD LUCK!!! TOURNEY TIME BABY!!!!!!!!!!

:00hour :00hour :00hour :00hour

Arthur Ralph

Artie sucked a big one today losing his regular and superpick. He did win the freebie, whooooooooop de damn do lol

Super Picks XAVIER

900 GOLD KEY winner ORAL ROBERTS

Free Play: George Mason

Deano's Free B

Forum Member
Jan 9, 2008
Flint, MI
H.P.

H.P.

Josh Dean- Top Plays (44-27) OA (121-88)

Almost swept the whole board yesterday but lost the baseball pick. Don't mess with baseball fellas, usually dont go the way it should in preseason!

200* Oral Roberts

100* Bulls

100* Kent St.

100* Belmont

Free Pick: UCLA/MSVS UNDER

JMeyers

Not Posted Yet

tomtebow

Forum Member
Oct 11, 2007
JEFFERSONSPORTS 4-3 last night

Documented records since October 6th

NCAA HOOPS 149-105 (59%)
NBA 93-70(58%)
NHL 45-33 (59%)
NCAA FOOTBALL 27-11 (71%) (10-4 bowl games) 71%

OVERALL RECORD 324-222 (60%) since oct 5th

MARCH MADNESS EARLY RELEASE
MICHIGAN ST-7

more in the morning, good luck to all

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

mrpickem

Forum Member
Sep 23, 2005
DR BOB SPORTS:

5 round 1 Best Bets and all of them happen to be on Thursday.
Purdue (-2 1/2) 3-Stars at -2 1/2 or less, 2-Stars at -3.
USC (-2 1/2) 3-Stars at -3 or less, 2-Stars up to -4.
Washington State (-8 1/2) 2-Stars at -9 or less, 3-Stars at -8 or less.
Michigan State (-6 1/2) 3-Stars at -7 or less, 2-Stars at -7 1/2.
Oral Roberts (+9 1/2) 3-Stars at +8 or more, 2-Stars down to +7.
Possible Best Bet on Xaver (2-Stars at -8 or less).
Below is the Best Bet analysis and I'm still working on writing up the opinions and working on my brackets, but hopefully I'll have that for you by 11:30 am or Noon Pacific.
3 Star Selection
***PURDUE (-2 ?) over Baylor
Thursday 11:50 AM Pacific - Rotation 714
Purdue has the youngest team in the NCAA Tournament field, but they also have one of the most talented. Coach Matt Painter brought in 6 talented newcomers this season and those first year players struggled early in the season and often didnt play hard against weaker non-conference teams. However, the Boilermakers upset Louisville in mid-December and started playing up to their enormous potential once conference play started. Purdue beat Wisconsin twice on their way to finishing second in the Big 10 while going 14-4 ATS in their last 18 games. The Boilermakers played their best against the better teams that they faced, going 6-1 ATS and 4-3 straight up in 7 games against fellow NCAA Tourney teams with 2 of their losses being by just 3 points at Clemson and at Michigan State. Baylor has also made an incredible resurgence under coach Scott Drew, but Baylor is just 3-8 straight up and 5-5-1 ATS against other NCAA tourney teams (excluding small conference teams). Baylor did play well away from home and they are 8-2-1 ATS as an underdog this season, but I favor Purdue by 3 ½ points after adjusting each teams for their ability to play better against other good teams. The reason for the play is a 45-11 ATS subset of a 133-58-4 ATS situation that applies to Purdue as long as they are not favored by more than 3 points. Ill take Purdue in a 3-Star Best Bet at -2 ? points or less and for 2-Stars at -3 points.
3 Star Selection
***Usc (-2 ?) over Kansas State
Thursday 04:10 PM Pacific - Rotation 722
This will be billed as a match-up between super freshman O.J. Mayo from USC and Michael Beasley from Kansas State, but the Trojans have a much better supporting cast and their stingy defense (39.1% FG allowed) will make it tough for anyone other than Beasley to score. Kansas State has struggled away from home this season, especially against good teams, as the Wildcats are just 5-8 straight up and 3-9- 1 ATS away from Manhattan, with 4 of those wins coming against mediocre teams Central Florida, Rider, Colorado, and Iowa State (the other was against Oklahoma). Kansas State is just 1-5 straight up and 1-5 ATS away from home against other NCAA tournament teams. USC, meanwhile, plays their best against good teams and the Trojans are underrated now that theyre healthy. The Trojans were without 2nd leading scorer and rebounder Devon Jefferson for 4 games and they were without pointguard Daniel Hackett for most of 5 games (he missed 4 and played just 2 minutes before getting injured in another). USCs rating in the 24 games in which Jefferson and Hackett both played is 2.6 points higher than their overall season rating and my ratings favor the Trojans by 5 ? points in this game. In addition to the line value, the Trojans are also more likely to bounce back from their conference tournament loss (a spread covering 3 point loss to UCLA) than the Wildcats are. USC is 16-4 ATS after a loss the last two seasons while the Wildcats are just 3-6 ATS this season after a loss, including only 1-5 ATS when not laying 10 points or more (they have a tendency to beat up on bad teams). USC is also 43-23-1 ATS when facing a team with a winning record in 3 seasons under coach Tim Floyd. In addition to the line value and team trends, the Trojans also apply to a very strong 133-58-4 ATS first round situation that is 45-11 ATS at -3 points or less (or dog). Ill take USC in a solid 3-Star Best Bet at -3 points or less and for 2-Stars at -3 ? or -4 points.
2 Star Selection
**Washington State (-8 ?) over Winthrop
Thursday 04:20 PM Pacific - Rotation 726
I picked Winthrop to upset Notre Dame in last years first round, but the Eagles are not nearly as good as last years team and Washington State is better on both ends of the court. My ratings favor Washington State by 9 ? points after factoring in what is sure to be a very slow pace and the Cougars apply to a 90-40-3 ATS round 1 situation. Ill take Washington State in a 2-Star Best Bet at - 9 points or less and for 3-Stars at -8 or less.
3 Star Selection
***Michigan State (-6 ?) over Temple
Thursday 09:30 AM Pacific - Rotation 728
Ive learned a few things about Tom Izzos Michigan State teams over the years and this is a game that they are likely to cover. Izzos teams has covered the spread an impressive 55% of the time in his 13 seasons, but Michigan State often has trouble with teams that are close in talent or more talented (just 75-85-2 ATS when favored by less than 4 points or as a dog) and the Spartans also arent particularly good laying a big number since Izzos fiery nature doesnt come out as often against weaker teams (46-54 ATS as a favorite of more than 11 points). Izzos teams are also better when hes had ample time to prepare his team (114-78-3 ATS with 3 or more days off) and teams on a roll tend to stop rolling when coming up against the keen strategic mind of Izzo (59% ATS facing a team off a win and cover). This game is in the sweet spot for Michigann State, as Temple is good enough to respect but not good enough to overcome Michigan States fundamentally sound play (like teams with equal or better talent sometimes can) and Izzo has plenty of ammunition to get his team focused for the Owls given that Temple has won 7 straight games. Izzo also has enough time to implement a game plan to combat what the Owls have been doing well of late. Michigan State is 85-31-2 ATS under Izzo when favored from 4 to 11 points, including 62-17-2 ATS against a team coming off a win and 43-11-1 ATS with 3 or more days off to prepare. The Spartans also apply to a 92-33-3 ATS round 1 situation while Temple applies to a negative 8- 30 ATS tourney situation that is based on their recent success. My ratings favor Michigan State by 7 points, which is where the line opened and Ill take Michigan State in a 3-Star Best Bet at -7 points or less and for 2-Stars at -7 ? points.
3 Star Selection
***Oral Roberts (+9 ?) over Pittsburgh
Thursday 12:00 PM Pacific - Rotation 729
Pittsburgh sure played well in the Big East Tournament, recording 3 consecutive upset wins over Louisville, Marquette and Georgetown. However, all that has done has given us line value on the other side and made it tough for Panthers coach Jamie Dixon to find ammunition to motivate his team. Facing Oral Roberts in the NCAA tournament is actually a letdown game for Pitt after last weeks emotional ride and the Panthers have never been good at continuing a short term hot streak under Dixon, going 1-6 ATS in his 5 seasons after winning and covering in 3 or more consecutive games (0-6 ATS as a favorite of 4 points or more). You may recall last season that I went against a similarly hot Oregon team as a 9 point favorite and #3 seed against Miami-Ohio after the Ducks had just won and covered 3 consecutive Pac-10 tournament games. Or, the year before when I went against Iowa after they won and covered 3 straight games to win the Big 10 tourney only to lose straight up as a #3 seed to Northwestern State. Teams that win and cover 3 consecutive conference tournament games are only 9-19 ATS when seeded #3 or worse and favored in their first round NCAA Tournament game and the Panthers apply to a very negative 4-28 ATS first round letdown situation as well as a 45-112-4 ATS situation that works in the regular season and the post-season. Oral Roberts is a pretty good team (I rate them the same as Villanova) that played pretty competitively in road games against other NCAA Tournament teams losing those by an average of 11.7 points to Texas A&M, Arkansas, and Texas (which would translate into 7.6 points on a neutral floor). My ratings favor Pitt by only 7 ? points in this game and the slow pace that the Panthers play suits Oral Roberts well, as the Golden Eagles play outstanding half-court defense (39.8% FG allowed and limited Texas A&M, Arkansas, Texas, and Oklahoma State to just 40.8% shooting all away from home). I bet against Oral Roberts in the 1st round last year for a Best Bet winner on Washington State, but this season the Eagles are in a very good spot and Ill take Oral Roberts in a 3-Star Best Bet at +8 points or more and for 2-Stars at +7 ? or +7 points.
Opinion/Possible Best Bet
Xavier (-8 ?) over Georgia
Thursday 09:20 AM Pacific - Rotation 712
Georgias run through the SEC Tournament was certainly incredible given their 4-12 conference record in conference play heading into the tourney and having to win 3 games in 2 days, but the Bulldogs were running on adrenaline those last couple of games and that has likely worn off by now. Teams that are upset winners of their conference tournaments usually dont fair well in their first NCAA Tournament games. Georgia applies to a negative 3-20-1 ATS first round situation that is based on their conference tournament success while Xavier applies to a very good 92-33-3 ATS first round situation. The Musketeers are also 17-8-1 ATS under coach Sean Miller when coming off a game in which they lost straight up and lost to the pointspread, so Xavier should bounce back with a good effort. My ratings favor Xavier by 7 ? points in this game, but the situation is good enough to give up some line value. Ill lean with Xavier at -8 ? or -9 points and Ill take Xavier in a 2-Star Best Bet at -8 points and for 3-Stars at -7 ? or less.

mrpickem

Forum Member
Sep 23, 2005
Dave M@linsky
6 unit play: USC

Gold Sheet Lts
EARLY BASKETBALL LTS RELEASES FOR THURSDAY, MARCH 20:

GEORGIA +8? over Xavier 9:20 AM (team #711)

TEMPLE +7 over Michigan State 9:30 AM (team #727)

STANFORD -14? over Cornell 2:00 PM (team #732)

the duke

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 19, 2007
Rob Veno

West Virginia Over 137 -110 (710)

Xavier Over 129.5 -110 (712)

Blue Chip: USC -3 (722)

Marquette -6 (734)

20* Blue Chip: UCLA Over 122 -110 (736)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

the duke

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 19, 2007
Matty O'Shea

CBB Sides Single-Dime Bet - (THURSDAY)

723 George Mason 6 (-110) Bodog vs 724 NotreDame
Analysis: The Notre Dame Fighting Irish are a very confident and talented bunch, but I simply think they will be overconfident in this game going against a team that is used to being underestimated in George Mason. The Patriots advanced to the Final Four just two years ago and will hang tough with Notre Dame in this game until the very end. Fighting Irish head coach Mike Brey was not terribly disappointed that his team lost to Marquette in the quarterfinals of the Big East Tournament, which is a clear sign that he thinks they will have a cakeWalk in the first round. I like this Notre Dame team a lot, but they have a lot to prove to me when playing away from home. I also believe George Mason is a very dangerous foe here in this spot and should stay within the number, so bet the Patriots to cover as my Single DIme NCAA Tournament Underdog Play O' the Day for Thursday.

CBB Total Single-Dime Bet - (THURSDAY)

726 Washington St. / 725 Winthrop Under 112 BetUS
Analysis: This is the lowest total on the board, and with good reason. Both teams like to slow the pace of the game and ranked among the Top 10 defensive teams in the country during the regular season. Winthrop held its three opponents to an average of less than 49 points in winning the Big South Tournament while Washington State needs to play better defense in hopes of returning to early-seaSon form when the Cougars got off to a 14-0 start. The UNDER is 8-1 in Winthrop's last nine neutral site games, and I believe this could very well be the lowest-scoring game of the Big Dance, so stay with that trend and bet the UNDER as my Single Dime NCAA Tournament Total PlaY O' the Day for Thursday.

CBB Sides Single-Dime Bet - (THURSDAY)

717 Kent St. -2 (-110) BetUS vs 718 UNLV
Analysis: The Kent State Golden Flashes are the real deal, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them duplicate UNLV's run to the Sweet 16 a year ago. The Runnin' Rebels built off last year's success in the NCAA Tournament by having another solid season, due mostly to their outstanding play at home. They have the benefit of playing the Mountain West Tournament at home and capitalized on that by winning it the last two years. They are just an average road team though and will be tested by a Kent State team that was ranKed in the Top 25 for the first time ever after winning at St. Mary's. Even though the Golden Flashes followed that big victory up with a loss, they have rebounded nicely by winning five straight heading into the Big Dance, going 4-1 ATS. They are also an outstanding 16-2 ATS in their last 18 Thursday games, so look for their success to continue here and bet Kent as my Single Dime NCAA Tournament Side Play O' thE Day for Thursday

Destructor D

Destructor
Forum Member
Dec 6, 2005
Kansas City, MO
It's amazing that Dr. Bob can move lines by a half-point to a full point or more on every game he touches. Doesn't this allow for value going the other way?

devil dave

Forum Member
Feb 15, 2004
oaks,pa
LANG

USC 25 DIMES
TEMPLE 25 DIMES
PITT 25 DIMES
WVA 15 DIMES
TEX AM 15 DIMES
GEORGIA 10 DIMES
CONELL 10 DIMES
KENTUCKY 10 DIMES
:scared :scared :scared

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

eagles1

Forum Member
Feb 28, 2008
LANG

USC 25 DIMES
TEMPLE 25 DIMES
PITT 25 DIMES
WVA 15 DIMES
TEX AM 15 DIMES
GEORGIA 10 DIMES
CONELL 10 DIMES
KENTUCKY 10 DIMES
:scared :scared :scared

anybody been following this clown? Is the still a good fade or has he been hitting some games lately?

Tramaine King

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2008
MICHAEL CANNON

30 DIME TEMPLE
20 DIME WVA
10 DIME PURDUE

KARL GARRET

40 DIME USC
20 DIME STANFORD
10 DIME KANSA

DREW GORDON

200,000 WASHINGTON STATE
50,000 ARIZONA
50,000 GEORGE MASON

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

the duke

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 19, 2007
Robert Ferringo

5.5-Unit Play. Take #712 Xavier (-8.5) over Georgia (12:20 p.m., Thursday, March 20)
Clearly, I think Georgia?s amazing run is about to come to an end. I think that Xavier is an elite team, and I believe that Georgia will be snapped out of the bubble they were in last week in Atlanta. Georgia fits into one of our themes of today: fade conference tournament winners because they have covered less than 39 percent over the past 11 years in the NCAA Tournament. But there are some other seeding trends that support this play.

First, play against any underdog of 3.0 or more that is coming off a straight-up win as a dog of 6.0 or more. That system is a fantastic 42-22 ATS in the last decade. Also, top seeds that were upset in their conference tournament (as Xavier was) that have a winning percentage of .760 or above are 21-6 ATS in the first round of the tournament. If our top team is seeded No. 1-4 this trend becomes an incredible 11-0 ATS!

Xavier has depth and talent. They are healthy and focused. I think Stanley Burrell, a sensational one-on-one defender, will be able to handcuff Sundiata Gaines and slow an exhausted Georgia team. UGA may make a run at this one, but I think the stronger team prevails.

4.5-Unit Play. Take #726 Washington State (-9) over Winthrop (7:20 p.m., Thursday, March 20)
Note: I see this line is moving. I do recommend buying a half-point if needed because that would keep it in our range for our system. The play qualifies because of where it opened and where it was all week.

The thing that caught my eye about this game is that the total is incredibly low (112) yet the chalk is relatively high on the Cougars. I think that?s a red flag. Washington State spent the first half of the season as a fringe Final Four contender. They have that type of talent and an excellent system. They are flying a bit under the radar at the moment and I think we can cash in on a Pac-10 power against a team from a far inferior conference. In the nonconference schedule, Wazzou beat four other tournament teams ? at Boise State (by 12), Mississippi Valley State (by 45), at Baylor (by 3), at Gonzaga (by 4) and Portland State (12). They won three of those games on the road, and even if you throw out the MVS blowout their average in those four wins, against far better competition, was still a solid 7.8 points. That?s just one point off this line against a Winthrop team that had to make the trek to Denver.

There are also some great systems and trends that back this play. If a No. 4 seed is a favorite of 9.0 or less they have been a stellar 24-12 ATS in the first round, and if that seed has a season winning percentage of .733 or higher they are 25-15 ATS. Also, No. 4 seeds that enter the tournament off a loss are 30-10 ATS, while if they are favored by 9.0 or less off a loss they are an amazing 18-2 ATS!

This Winthrop team is not as good as the one that beat Notre Dame last year. Kyle Weaver should be able to harass Winthrop?s go-to guy, Mike Jenkins, and if Jenkins is off then I don?t see where the points are going to come from. I do think this game will be within three or four points of the number, but I think we?ll be on the right side of a score around 56-44.

2.5-Unit Play. TEASER: Take #712 Xavier (-3.5) AND Take #726 Washington State (-4)
Same reasons. Really like these games, and if we don't get one of them due to some BS, we could hit this teaser and the twosome will be a success.

3-Unit Play. Take #727 Temple (+7.5) over Michigan State (12:30 p.m., Thursday, March 20)
The Atlantic 10 has been tearing up the major conferences all season long, so we might as well jump on board. The Owls are on a seven-game winning streak, and for those people that are waiting for the Spartans to snap out of their two-month funk it could be an expensive day. I like Temple?s ability to score the basketball and I like that they have two go-to scorers. It seems as if Michigan State is desperate for Drew Neitzel to carry them, but we?ve found out this year that he?s just not that type of player. I think the Spartans have bad karma and I think this is a game that the Owls could win straight-up.

2-Unit Play. Take #719 Cal State-Fullerton (+11.5) over Wisconsin (9:40 p.m., Thursday, March 21)
Note: This was inadvertently posted as a 3-Unit play. It should be a 2-Unit selection so it was changed at 9:08 a.m. EST. Sorry for any inconvenience.

The Big 10 champions have been a perennial disappointment in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, posting just a 2-4 ATS mark over the last six years. However, those numbers are in keeping with the overall tournament norm. Round 1 favorites that won their conference tournaments are just 30-47 ATS (38.9 percent) over the past 11 years.

Also, No. 3 seeds that come into the dance off back-to-back straight-up wins are just 4-14 ATS in the opening round. Throw in the fact that favorites between -11.0 and -14.0 have produced well below average over the past 10 years (19-33, or 36.5 percent) and we could be in business here. There are three other factors at work here. First, this play is random. Not too many people have the CS-Fullerton upset on their bracket. And as you know, anything can happen this time of year. Next, doesn?t this line seem low? That could be a red flag. And finally, Fullerton is a guard-heavy team. That is the complete opposite of Wisconsin, and contrasting styles go to the team that can force the tempo. I think Fullerton can, so we?ll take the points and look for an upset!

3-Unit Play. Take #729 Oral Roberts (+9) over Pittsburgh (3 p.m., Thursday, March 20)
This play reminds me a bit of our Miami, OH win over Oregon in the first round of last year?s tournament. At first glance it seems suicidal. But there are a tremendous amount of statistical trends that support this play.

First, the Big East Tournament champion is a pathetic 2-12 ATS in its first round game in the NCAA Tournament. Pittsburgh just went through an outstanding four-game run in Madison Square Garden, winning as a dog in the final three days. Now they are in Denver playing a group of crazy Christians in the first round of the tournament. I smell a letdown. Next, favorites of 14.5 or less that are off a run of 3-0 (or better) SU and ATS are just 7-25 ATS in the first round of the Big Dance. Finally, this is another line that just seems conspicuously low.

3-Unit Play. Take #710 West Virginia (-2) over Arizona (9:40 p.m., Thursday, March 20)
Who else is ready for another vintage Arizona flameout? I know I am. The Wildcats are traveling west-to-east to take on a very game Mountaineers squad. Excluding two blowout wins over feeble Oregon State, the Wildcats are just 1-6 SU in their last seven games and 3-8 since Feb. 1. They are 2-4 ATS as an underdog and they are 2-5 ATS against a team with a winning record. West Virginia is 6-0 ATS in NCAA Tournament games and over the past few years has been the best nonconference bet in the country, posting a stellar 42-20-1 ATS mark. They are also 29-14-1 ATS as a favorite and I think they have even more offense than the Wildcats. Joe Alexander is the hottest player in the nation and I think a strong WVU following will give the Mountaineers the boost that they need in this one.

3-Unit Play. Take #717 Kent State (-2) over UNLV (3 p.m., Thursday, March 20)
Today?s plays have two underlying concepts at work: fade the conference tournament champions from the BCS leagues, and play on the small favorites to see if their recent success (L4 years) continues. I?m not flying blind here, I like the matchups. And this one is an example.

UNLV has overachieved this year and was one of my fade teams. In fact, I can nearly guarantee that they wouldn?t be playing right now if the Mountain West Tournament hadn?t been held on their home floor. The MAC has gone 5-2 ATS in the first round recently while the Mountain West is a paltry 2-6 ATS. I love this Golden Flashes team. They have great guards, a load of experience, and they have an impressive resume. They have mid-major wins over George Mason, St. Mary?s, and Illinois State. I think they rack up one more with a victory over the Rebels.

3-Unit Play. TEASER: Take #742 Arizona State (-1) over Southern Illinois (11:50 p.m., Thursday, March 20) AND Take #739 Maryland (+10) over Syracuse (7 p.m., Thursday, March 20)
Let's not forget about the NIT today!!! Southern Illinois has been a mess on the road for most of the year and ASU should win this one on talent alone. SIU had it's swan song for its seniors against Oklahoma State and now not having their starting point guard should catch up with them. With Syracuse, I just don't see them beating a decent team by double-digits. Gary Williams can obviously keep his team motivated, and their experience should carry them against a young, and relatively disinterested, Syracuse club. I think Maryland can win outright so we'll take the (extra) points.

2.5-Unit Play. Take USC (-3.5) over Kansas State (7 p.m., Thursday, March 20)
Small favorite. Also the better team, from the better conference. K-State is 0-7 ATS over the last month. They are overvalued, and their lack of guard play has caught up with them. USC has a far superior backcourt and has enough big men underneath to at least hang with Walker and Beasley. If USC can handle UCLA and Stanford on the interior I think they can beat K-State. The Trojans were the team that ended Kevin Durant's season last year so I think there's a symmetry to them beating Mike Beasley this year.

2-Unit Play. Take 'Under' 136 Cornell vs. Stanford (5 p.m., Thursday, March 20)
I like all of the 'unders' in this round, but here's one that sticks out. Cornell hasn't played in 12 days so you really can't expect them to come out and be sharp. Stanford doesn't run-and-gun and their guards don't shoot particularly well so I don't see them hitting the 80's in this one. I think this one is going to stay comfortably 'under', as Stanford struggles to hit 70 and Cornell will be lucky to muster 50. I like the Cardinal (#732) to cover as well and I'll, personally, have a Unit on them to dominate this one. The Ivy League is just 3-6 ATS in the last nine tournaments. Throw in the travel and the severe size disadvantage and this one will be all Cardinal.

2-Unit Play. Take 'Under' 137 Cal-State Fullerton vs. Wisconsin (9:40 p.m., Thursday, March 20)
One of these teams would have to hit 70 in order for this number to get cleared. I don't see it happening. Wisconsin is No. 1 in the country in scoring defense and I don't see them trying to force an uptempo game. I see this one played in the 60's and us staying under the number.

That's it for today. However, I do have some leans for you. I've noticed that my last plays off the board have been killing it for months - hence my nearly 70 percent run on free picks - so I'm going to list all the other games I'll be betting myself. First, bet 1 Unit on every single 'under' on the board. I know it seems crazy, but over the last decade the 'under' has hit around 60 percent for the first round. It makes a lot of sense when you think about it and I'm going to be blindly hammering this trend. Next, I like George Mason (+6.5), Stanford (-14.5), Kentucky (+6), and Texas A&M (-1.5).

the duke

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 19, 2007
BEN BURNS

BYU

Game: Texas A&M vs. BYU Game Time: 3/20/2008 7:25:00 PM Prediction: BYU Reason: I'm playing on BYU. I respect A&M but still feel that the wrong team is favored here. Hailing from the Mountain West, the Cougars don't get all that much attention from the media. Make no mistake though, this is an excellent team. Despite a loss at UNLV to close out the conference tournament, BYU is a highly impressive 15-2 its last 17 games. Looking back earlier in the season and we find that the Cougars beat Louisville in a tournament before playing North Carolina tough for 38 minutes the following day. The Aggies are also an excellent team. However, they struggled down the stretch, winning just four of their final 10 games. Both teams play very good defense. I like BYU's backcourt better though and believe that they'll be more capable of dictating and controlling the tempo. The Cougars lost by two points to Xavier in the first round last year. Look for them to take the next step by bouncing back from the loss to UNLV and scoring the minor upset.

ORAL ROBERTS

Game: Oral Roberts vs. Pittsburgh Game Time: 3/20/2008 3:00:00 PM Prediction: Oral Roberts Reason: I'm taking the points with ORAL ROBERTS. After playing four games in four days to win the Big East, I expect the Panthers to be somewhat drained here. Note that Pittsburgh is 0-3 ATS the last three times it was a neutral court favorite in the -6.5 to -9 range. Oral Roberts comes in with plenty of confidence, after winning its third straight conference tourney title. In addition to beating up on their conference rivals, the Golden Eagles played a trio of top tier teams fairly tough earlier in the year, giving them some experience to deal with the type of physical play that Pittsburgh brings to the table. Those teams were Texas, Arkansas and Texas A&M and the Golden Eagles played each one of them away from home. While they lost each game, they were relatively competitive in each and improved each time out. After losing by 14 at Texas A&M, they lost by 11 at Arkansas. Next, they lost by 10 at Texas. Having benefitted from playing those three elite opponents, they "stepped down in class" to fact Oklahoma State and promptly pounded the Cowboys by 15 points. Look for them to give the Panthers all they can handle here.

UNDER Marquette/Kentucky

Game: Kentucky vs. Marquette Game Time: 3/20/2008 2:30:00 PM Prediction: under Reason: I'm playing on Kentucky and Marquette to finish UNDER the number. Kentucky managed just 56 points (60-56 loss to Georgia) in its most recent game, with the final combined score staying below the total by nine points. A closer look at that game shows that only 100 points were scored in regulation as 16 of those points came in the overtime frame. That brought the UNDER to 9-3 the Wildcats' last dozen games. The Golden Eagles also saw their most recent game stay below the number as they managed only 61 in a loss vs. Pittsburgh in the Big East tournament. That brought the UNDER to 2-1 their last three and 4-2 in tournament games this season. Both teams saw their first round NCAA matchups fall significantly below the total last season and I expect a similar result this year.

KANSAS STATE

Game: Kansas State vs. USC Game Time: 3/20/2008 7:10:00 PM Prediction: Kansas State Reason: I'm taking the points with KANSAS STATE. Despite the fact that they have superstar Michael Beasley in the lineup, the betting public is really down on the Wildcats right now, as they failed to cover in seven straight games. That's given us terrific value, which has become even better with the line having been bet up from its opening number. Looking at those seven straight ATS losses and we find that the Wildcats really only lost badly in one game (at Kansas) and that they won two of the final three games SU while losing the other by only three points. They've had plenty of time to recover from their gruelling Big 12 schedule and I expect them to play with a chip on their shoulder here as they've got something to prove. Keep in mind that before the ATS losing streak, they'd been on a profitable 8-2 SU/ATS run, which included a 9-point win over Kansas and blowout wins over the likes of Missouri and Oklahoma State. Note that the Wildcats are 5-2 the last seven times that they played with five or six day's rest in between games and 21-10 their last 31 in that situation. The Wildcats, who were 15-2 at home this season, will be playing within roughly three hours of their campus. USC, on the other hand, is thousands of miles from home. Look for the Wildcats, 10-6 ATS the last 16 times they were underdogs of four points or less, to have the majority of the crowd behind them and for that to play a significant factor, as they bounce back from their poor start to the season and improve to 9-2 ATS the last 11 times they were coming off a game which saw them score 60 points or less. *Opening RD GOY

XAVIER

Game: Georgia vs. Xavier Game Time: 3/20/2008 12:20:00 PM Prediction: Xavier Reason: I'm laying the points with XAVIER. After their improbable run through the SEC Conference Tournament, the Bulldogs have been a great story. However, they haven't faced a team with the type of balance that they'll have to contend with this afternoon and I fully expect their "story" to come to an end here. Prior to their run through the tournament, the Bulldogs had previously lost 10 of their last 12 games and were 13-16 on the year. While the Bulldogs only outscored opponents by one point per game on the season, the Musketeers won their 27 games by an average of 13 points each. While Georgia hasn't been to the Big Dance in several years, Xavier has four players that have over 1,000 points in their collegiate careers in senior G Stanley Burrell, senior F Josh Duncan, senior G Drew Lavender and junior swingman C.J. Anderson. They're joined by Derrick Brown and B.J. Raymond to form a lineup that features a whopping six players who average in double-digits in scoring. The Musketeers are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 NCAA Tournament games and 9-5-1 ATS the last 15 times they were coming off a conference loss. After not having any players voted onto the All-Atlantic 10 first team and the not winning their conference tournament, they've got something to prove. The Musketeers have got the perimeter defense to contain Georgia's guard-oriented attack and I look for their balance, depth and experience to prove too much for the Bulldogs to handle. *Personal Favorite

the duke

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 19, 2007
Write ups

Michael Cannon

Early Plays

30 Dime

TEMPLE

Take the points with Temple this afternoon in the South Region over Michigan State.

This could very well be the first upset of the big dance.

Temple is playing with supreme confidence right now, having reeled off seven consecutive victories.

There?s no doubt they have a tough draw here, but Temple has the ability to create mismatches on the offensive end with its big backcourt combination of Dionte Christmas and Mark Tyndale.

Both players are 6-5 and can post up against smaller defenders when the opportunity arises.

Michigan State relies too much on guard Drew Neitzel for its offense and if he isn?t feeling it the Spartans could struggle to piece together consistent possessions.

The Spartans didn?t play particularly well away from home, losing six of their last eight games away from East Center. They also have a history of coming up short in the Big Dance, with three first round losses in their last six appearances.

Temple has been on a moneymaking spree, covering 16 of its last 21 games.

Those of you looking for a 12-seed upset in your brackets would be wise to consider this game right here.

For now, let?s settle for taking the points with Temple as they continue their torrid run.

10 Dime

PURDUE

Take Purdue this afternoon minus the points over Baylor in the West Region.

No doubt Baylor will be fired up for this game since this is their first appearance in the Big Dance in 11 years, but the euphoria will be short-lived.

The Bears don?t have the necessary ingredients to advance in this tournament. They are a perimeter-oriented team that allowed a Big 12-worst 74 ppg. They also lost eight of their last 13 games, including an upset versus Colorado in the conference opener. Colorado torched the Bears for 91 points in that loss, oh by the way.

Purdue is a stingy defensive-minded team that should match up well against Baylor. Offensively the Boilermakers can get scoring from the inside or outside with their trio of E?Twaun Moore, Keaton Grant and Chris Kramer.

Purdue has also been good to their backers; going 14-3-1 ATS in the last 18 games overall.

Matt Painter, the Big Ten Coach of the Year, was successful in last year?s tourney, upsetting Arizona and losing by just seven points to the two-time defending champion Gators in the second round.

Take Purdue minus the small number as they grab the win and cover.

Late Plays

20 Dime

WEST VIRGINIA

Take West Virginia as the small chalk over Arizona tonight in the West Region.

A lot of the talking heads out there were arguing whether or not Arizona deserved to be in the tournament, but I?m telling you after tonight it will be a moot point.

West Virginia is going to roll over this team.

The Mountaineers have the best player on the court in Joe Alexander. The junior forward was having a breakout performance down the stretch until the loss to Georgetown in the Big East semifinals.

Alexander is averaging 26.8 ppg over his last six games.

Arizona has a good backcourt combination of Jerryd Bayless and Nic Wise, but they can be neutralized by a Mountaineers defense that permitted just 62 ppg this year.

Bob Huggins has gotten much more out of this West Virginia team than anyone predicted. His influence has already surfaced in the Mountaineers ranking No. 2 in the nation in assist-to-turnover ratio and No. 6 in fewest turnovers overall.

West Virginia is simply a team that won?t beat itself.

Arizona is a young team that Huggins should be able to exploit both offensively and defensively, and when West Virginia needs a big shot they will have the best player on the floor.

Take West Virginia as the small chalk as they grab the easy win and cover.

5 Dime

WINTHROP

Take the points with Winthrop tonight over Washington State in the East Region.

Washington State had a great season, finishing with 24 wins but they drew a tough, first-round opponent.

Winthrop is a fundamentally sound team that plays tough defense. They knocked off Notre Dame in the first round of last year?s tournament and this marks the eighth trip to the NCAA?s in the last decade for the Eagles.

This game has all the makings of a full, 40-minute struggle, which makes the points the play here.

Winthrop is 13-6 ATS in its last 19 games overall.

Take the points as Winthrop keeps it within the number.

the duke

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 19, 2007
Karl Garrett

40 DIMER - USC TROJANS....20 DIMER - STANFORD CARDINAL....10 DIMERS - KANSAS JAYHAWKS, & KENT GOLDEN

40 DIMER - USC TROJANS

They are talking about the Beasley-Mayo fabulous-frosh matchup, and while it will be fun to watch, I am counting on SC to handle the Wildcats and move on!

These schools come in with near identical records, but K-State only went 2-5 their last 7 games, while failing ALL 7 against the spread. Southern Cal closed with wins in 6 of their final 8, while going 5-3 against the spread.

Kansas State figures to have a little more support with this one being played in nearby Omaha, but I like Mayo, Gibson, and Jefferson over Beasley and his mates in this spot.

The line is nice a low, and I see the Trojans taking it comfortably by 9 or more.

20 DIMER - STANFORD CARDINAL - 5 PM

Sticking with the PAC 10, as Stanford uses their superior size to their advantage in this game against Ivy rep Cornell.

The Big Red has won their last 16 games, but playing the Ivy League, and playing the PAC 10 is like night and day, and the fact the Lopez twins should control the glass at will in this one leads the G-Man to believe that the Cardinal will get on top of this big number before we are finished with the 40 full minutes.

Cornell is traveling 'cross country for this date, while Stanford has the luxury of playing in the same time zone, and just down the road a little from their campus.

Lay the chalk here.

10 DIMER - KANSAS JAYHAWKS - 12:25 PM

This is another blowout, as Portland State is not going to know what hit them in this game.

KU will push the pace, bang home a few 3-balls, and before you know it, it is going to be "Good Night Irene!" for the Vikings from Portland.

Omaha crowd figures to be pro-Jayhawks, and this has the makings of a 30-point rout.

Jayhawks live up to their #1 seeding.

10 DIMER - KENT GOLDEN FLASHES - 2:55 PM

UNLV had the luxury of hosting their end of the season conference tournament, and for the second time in a row, Lon Kruger's team punched their Big Dance ticket with that luxury. Today they face the lone MAC team in the field of 65, and Kent is a tough one!

The Golden Flashes not only won their conference tourney, they have lost just once in their last 13 games. Kent State is on an 8-2 spread run their last 10 games.

This game is pretty much a pick'em affair, and I see no reason why the Flashes won't advance to round two.

the duke

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 19, 2007
Drew Gordon

1. 200,000♦ Washington State

2. 50,000♦ Arizona

3. 50,000♦ George Mason

1. Washington State- Be honest: What's the first thing you thought when you looked at the line on this contest? I bet the majority of the public muttered to themselves: "There's no way this Cougars offense covers that number!" But I'm here to tell you they can and here's why:

First and foremost, this isn't some middle-of-the-road basketball team. This is a PAC-10 squad that has continued to blossom under second year head coach Tony Bennet, balancing outstanding defense, with careful methodical offense. This is especially dangerous for an Eagles team more than capable of long scoring droughts, facing a Cougars defense allowing just 57 ppg on 42% shooting this season (against much much better competition than Winthrop).

Second, speaking of competition... How can you possibly compare battling night in and night out in the PAC-10 to the Big South Conference? Sorry Winthrop-backers, but your team's stats look nice, but just how seriously can we take a team that beats up on the likes of Radford and High Point?! The fact the Eagles played only 5 lined games this season (3-2 ATS), should immediately tell you something about their level of competition.

Third, I hear many in the media saying these two teams are alike, but that's a stretch at best. Yes, they both rely on defense to win games. And yes, they both have methodical offenses, but that's where the comparisons end. Winthrop has a serious size disadvantage, with twin 6'10 bigmen Baynes and Cowgill patrolling the paint. Not only that, but the edge in the backcourt clearly goes to the Cougars smart defensive trio of Low, Weaver, and Rochestie - all three of which can shoot the rock and run back and play defense.

Finally, one of the factors that becomes even more critical come tourney time is free throw shooting. Winthrop isn't just bad from the charity stripe, they're terrible, averaging just 59%. Make no mistake, the Eagles piss-poor free throw percentage will come into play tonight.

Bottom line, lay the points with the superior Cougars in this one, as Winthrop gets to see what real basketball looks like tonight. Sorry but garbage competition prepares you for nothing, and tonight the Eagles pay the price against one of the best defensive teams from one of toughest conferences in the country. Cougars take a bite out of the Eagles in this one, grabbing the cash along the way!

Take Washington State BIG over Winthrop as your top-rated play of the day.

2. Arizona- A lot of controversy surrounding Arizona and whether or not they belong in the tourney over teams like Arizona State. Fact of the matter is they dealt with a lot of injuries, but when healthy (like they are now), this Wildcats team is definately deserving and they'll prove it tonight.

While its easy to concentrate on the games that either Bayless or Nic Wise were out, as the Wildcats when 3-8 over that span... What real sense does that make? Both Bayless and Wise will play tonight, giving the Wildcats their full array of weapons to attack a good, but not great Mountaineers squad.

If you saw West Virginia's last game, a 72-55 shellacking at the hands of Georgetown, you've seen the blueprint in how to beat this Mountaineers team. Namely, perimter defense and inside play. We know this Wildcats team can play defense, may be not as well as the Hoyas, but they're more than athletic enough to match up with a perimeter-oriented Moutaineers offense. And if Roy Hibbert can light up this WVU defense for 25 points and 13 boards, then you can expect the Wildcats to attack with 6'9 Jordan Hill, who averages 13 ppg on 62% from the field.

Finally, speaking of whether or not they belong, you best believe all the talk about the Wildcats "sneaking in" is perfect bulletin board material. Using an "us against the world" attitude can make a hell of difference when trying to motivate college kids.

Bottom line, you can't just blankly stare at Arizona's record and declare them un-worthy... Had Bayless and Wise played together all season, they'd be a lot better than a 10th seed, and I'm treating them as such. Problem for perimeter-oriented teams is when the jump shots stop falling, the party's over, much like it was against Georgetown last Friday.

Take Arizona plus the points over West Virginia in this NCAA Tournament First Round match up.

3. George Mason- For as good as good as Notre Dame is playing, they're about to run into a veteran-laden Patriots squad, that's playing their best defense of the season of late. Everyone loves talking about Harangody and the Irish offense, but George Mason is allowing a miniscule 55 ppg on 39% shooting over their last 5 games... Underesimate them at your risk in this spot.

First things first, don't think Harangody is going to run rampant over this Patriots team. We all know about F Will Thomas, who goes for 15 ppg and 10 boards per game this season. But its actually a lesser known player that has emerged to help George Mason - 6'7 240 lbs. junior Chris Fleming. His recent play has been a boon for the Patriots, and he'll get his chance to do it again against Harangody and company tonight.

Second, it should be noted that the Notre Dame's offense wasn't nearly as good on the highway this season, especially on neutral courts, scoring 73 ppg on 42% shooting in 3 nuetral court contests this season (1-2 SUATS). If they thought Marquette's defense was tough in their last one, just wait until they have to deal with this Patriots defense tonight.

Also consider the two backcourts, as Irish G MaAlarney is solid, but overall its hard not to like the Patriots trio of Campbell, Vaughan, and Smith. The three George Mason guards are all upperclassmen, and all capable of winning their match ups against the Notre Dame guards.

Bottom line, not only is it hard to ignore George Mason based on just an experience level, but if you watched them play defense throughout the CAA Tourney, you know this a team peaking at precisely the right time. They may not win SU, but they'll battle tooth and nail with this Irish squad tonight, grabbing the cash because of it!

Take George Mason plus the points over Notre Dame in this NCAA Tournament First Round match up.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

the duke

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 19, 2007
RAS

2008 NCAA Tournament - First Round

THURSDAY

Oral Roberts (+8.5) vs Pittsburgh - 12:00pm Pacific - Game #729-730
ORU is extremely well coached by Scott Sutton and is making their third consecutive trip to the big dance. The Eagles have multiple marquee wins over major conference teams over the past four seasons and this year they beat Oklahoma State by 15 in Oklahoma City. They also played at Texas A&M, at Texas, and at Arkansas, losing by an average of 11.6ppg which after taking points away for home court would be good enough to cover in this spot. The losses at Arkansas (led at half by 5) and at Texas (trailed by 2 at half) were particularly competitive. ORU is dominated by upperclassmen and ranks #2 in the country in experience by KenPom. They have held opponents to just .397 from the field this season which ranks 23rd nationally. ORU has ten players who average double digit minutes which is a big factor in the high altitude of Denver. Depth, particularly in the front court is not a strength for Pitt who primarily uses just an 8 man rotation. The Panthers are coming off an emotionally and physically challenging four game in four day Big East tournament championship. It was even more special for them with 5 New Yorker's on the roster and having lost in the final the previous two seasons. With Pitt's depth and fatigue issues and ORU's solid half court defense this figures to be a low scoring game. Pitt will have to play near perfect to cover this big number. Take the points.

Play: Oral Roberts +8.5 1 UNIT

Kansas State vs USC (-3.5) - 4:10pm Pacific - Game #721-722
USC is young but very talented with all five starters likely having high level professional careers in their future. The Trojans were raw in non-conference play but still beat four postseason participants by double digits in November alone. They have proven to be competitive with the best teams in the country as they own a win over #1 seed UCLA in Pauley, while losing to #1 seeds Memphis in OT and Kansas by just four. The Memphis loss was played in New York just two days after the Kansas loss and could have been won by the Trojans in regulation with one more made free throw. USC finished the regular season winning 11 of 15 games in arguably the best conference in the country. This was despite losing their most experienced guard Hacket for three full games and all but 2 minutes of another due to injury. They downed tough bubble team Arizona State and played UCLA down to the wire in Pac-10 tourney proving their sharp form. Freshman standout OJ Mayo really stepped up late in the season averaging 24.3ppg over his last eight and showed the ability to take over games. USC is very well coached and have continued to improve all season. Kansas State is also very young but has not shown nearly the same maturity or late season improvement. The Wildcats struggle to shoot outside, play very suspect defense, and often take questionable shots. It was a down year in the Big 12 with a big dropoff after Kansas and Texas. KSU still stumbled to a 2-5 finish in their last seven games and have not been solid away from home all season going just 5-9. USC in comparison went 11-6 away from the Galen Center. Trojans simply outclass the Wildcats here. Give the points.

Play: USC -3.5 1 UNIT

Texas A&M vs BYU (+1.5) - 4:25pm Pacific - Game #737-738
BYU won the regular season MWC title for the second straight year and likely would have been tournament champions if UNLV was not the host. Their 27-7 record is their best 34 game record in 100+ years of history. Their 4-4 record vs the Sagarin top 50 and 11 wins away from home give them a much better resume than last year when they played Xavier close to the wire in a 2 point first round loss. The Cougars beat Louisville and held multiple second half leads vs Michigan State and North Carolina in non-conference play. They have a top notch big man, shoot very well, rebound, play defense, and have one of the best assist rates in the nation. Texas A&M finished just 8-8 in a down Big 12 and played just one true non-conference road game all season. They have struggled with point guard play all year which is a huge negative in the pressure packed environment of the NCAA tournament. With a large Mormon population in Southern California, BYU figures to have an advantage in fan attendance. Take the points and expect a mild upset.

Play: BYU +1.5 1 UNIT

the duke

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 19, 2007
THE SPORTS REPORTER

Pepsi Center, Denver, CO
(5) NOTRE DAME vs. (12) GEORGE MASON -- George Mason won their
conference tournament with defense, allowing only 51 points per game. Mike Brey?s
Irish squad is offensively balanced and won?t be as easily subdued. Notre Dame will
look to push the pace of the game to get it in the 70?s. Look for Brey to focus on getting
the rock to his rock ? big man Luke Harangody. The Patriots rely heavily on center
Will Thomas for points, but if he?s battling the Big East player of the year on the defensive
end, he may not be as effective scoring the ball. Look for a close ball game through
the half, but with Notre Dame?s proficiency behind the arc and Harangody?s bulk in the
frontcourt, George Mason will be forced to play catch-up ? and that?s not their game.
NOTRE DAME, 73-64.

(4) WASHINGON ST. vs. (13) WINTHROP -- Both teams play floor-slapping
defense and want to limit their opponent?s possessions. Problem for Winthrop is
they aren?t as efficient offensively as Washington State and they shoot only 60% from
the foul line. The Cougars tend to take advantage of most scoring opportunities using
a balanced approach that spreads out the points. This Tony Bennett may not be able to
sing, but he can coach. Oh yeah ? he also has the better athletes here. If the Eagles are
not at the top of their offensive game, they will die a slow death at the hands of their
Pac-10 foe. WASHINGTON ST., 59-48.

(6) MARQUETTE vs. (11) KENTUCKY -- Two tradition-rich programs who
roll into California with as many questions as answers. After an 11-1 start (with a narrow
home loss to Duke the lone blemish), Marquette has endured sustained difficulties
against quality Big East foes on the road, though they handled Notre Dame well enough
in the tournament. Kentucky endured growing pains as Billy Gillispie fiddled with combinations
early ? then settled down to rack up a regular-season 12-4 SEC mark before
falling to Georgia. The loss of F Patrick Patterson makes eager embrace of the ?Cats difficult,
with Joe Crawford and turnover-prone Ramel Bradley left to pick up the scoring.
Dominic James has settled into his best shooting groove as Marquette?s most reliable
scorer? and his ball control is excellent. Tough call at the number, but suspect ?Cats
vulnerable to greater downside potential than are the favorites from Wisconsin. MARQUETTE,
68-62.

(3) STANFORD vs. (14) CORNELL -- This is where we came in! Cardinal
opened the season by drilling out-manned Harvard by 55 and proceed to prevail over
underachieving Yale by eleven, eleven days later. Big Red?s the cream of the Ivys, rolling
through the Ancient Eight undefeated, on merit, laying waste to two decades of domination
by Princeton and Penn. But the Ivy ATS record in the Dance has deteriorated
markedly in recent years, and even the casual viewer can discern the most-recent,
spreading talent gap vis a vis genuine national power teams ? of which the Cardinal?s
certainly one. Cornell is the best free-throw shooting team in the country, but that skill
provides scant comfort against tall Trees Brook and Robin Lopez, Lawrence Hill and
Fred Washington, who should lay waste to the likes of 6?6? Ryan Wittman on the boards.
Stan doesn?t have a history of sadistic beatings, but spread fails to reflect prevailing
matchup realities. STANFORD, 81, CORNELL 57.

1) KANSAS vs. (16) PORTLAND STATE -- Kansas is bigger, stronger
and faster ? and, oh yeah ? better. The Jayhawks will enjoy the pace, as Portland St.
likes to push the ball. They have only two guys who play decent minutes that are taller
than 6?8? and their best player is 5?6? point guard Dominguez. Not exactly Big 12 caliber.
Bill Self?s frontcourt of Jackson, Arthur, and Kahn will have a field day in the
paint as they move on to Saturday. KANSAS, 79-55.

(8) UNLV vs. (9) KENT STATE -- On paper ? these teams look very similar.
We?ll see how that translates to the court. Both teams max out height-wise at the 6?8
level and rely on athleticism to play hard-nosed defense. Kent St. guard Mincy may
be the best on-ball defender in the country and he?ll get a crack at the Rebel?s Wink
Adams, who lit up BYU in the Mountain West tournament final. He has the ability to
disrupt a team?s offensive flow. If UNLV can keep Kent St. off of the offensive glass
(no easy chore) ? they have a great shot. If Kent St. can keep the turnovers to a minimum
? the pendulum swings to the MAC champ. The Golden Flashes have been playing
really well of late, so we?ll give them the slight edge. KENT STATE, 64-62.

(6) USC vs. (11) KANSAS STATE -- Our hopes fulfilled, we get a legitimate
shot at the ego-swollen Wildcats, at a competitive price. Even the lesser lights of the
Big XII eventually figured out that to slow the almighty Michael Beasley and his frosh
running mate, Bill Walker, you overplayed ?em, and dared the other Little Manhattans
to shoot. Voila! Dominant core of Tim Floyd?s team are all frosh/sophs as well, but
O. J. Mayo has matured in a big hurry, and with a healthy Daniel Hackett, Trojans play
beyond their years. And defensively, Taj Gibson is instrumental in foes shooting below
39% from the field. This is a team game, and K-State?s infant backcourt is likely to
implode, under the pressure. Ballgame! USC, 74-63.

(3) WISCONSIN vs. (14) CAL-STATE FULLERTON -- Bo Ryan?s
Badgers have long been renowned for not beating themselves, and don?t anticipate
an implosion in the opener. Fullerton shot the lights out in winning the Big West tourney
in what devolved into an easy path to the crown. They lost to familiar conference
foes on the road by small margins (3, to UCSB; 6, to St. Mary?s) but got drilled by 26
by the ?Cats of Tucson. They?ll try to run, and ex-Washington Stater Josh Akognon is
a stone-cold shooter, but Badgers are solid, and Brian Butch has evolved into something
special. So long as Trevon Hughes stays healthy, this opponent?s controllable,
though wouldn?t risk my life on Wisky surviving the weekend. WISCONSIN, 75-65

(1) UCLA vs. (16) MISSISSIPPI VALLEY ST. -- Those Bruin injuries
should be concerning to the Westwood faithful, but it won?t matter here. The Delta
Devils shoot right around 40% from the field and give up closer to 50%. Not a good
ratio ? but hey ? they made the tournament so what do they care. Ben Howland will
rest Kevin Love, and his other starters for that matter, as much as possible. His team
is laying 30+, so if the southerners get to 40 they may cover. That said ? we won?t
touch it. UCLA, 70-39.

(8) BYU vs. (9) TEXAS A&M -- The Cougars are a strong club that nobody
is talking about. Perfect. The three-headed monster of Cummard/Plaisted/Tavernari
account for 45 points per contest and fuel the Cougars. The Aggies like to play tough
defense but it won?t be easy to defend BYU. The Cougars scorers have size and skill,
and can hit from inside and out. A&M must keep the game close due to their offensive
issues. They have only two kids averaging double digits and the leading scorer
is Carter at 12 per game. The Cougars are keeping opponents below the 40% shooting
mark on the season, so scoring could be as dry as the Sahara for A&M. Close
game early, with BYU pulling away in the final 10. BYU, 69-57.

(6) PURDUE vs. (11) BAYLOR -- A pair of feel-good stories out of power
conferences, leaning to the dog whose program has risen from the ultimate depths,
emerging from the deeper conference. This year?s Bears have responded gamely to
bad losses, and a one-and-done performance against Colorado in the Big XII tournament
qualifies as a bad loss. So we anticipate guards Curtis Jerrells and Lace Darius
Dunn will rebound with fire in their eyes. Boilers are a resourceful team which has
largely-camouflaged backcourt deficiencies all season, but that?s a challenging situation
for a Madness favorite. Bears should win turnover battle, and the game. BAYLOR,
71-70.

(3) XAVIER vs. (14) GEORGIA -- Bulldogs? miracle run through the SEC
tournament structure has salvaged Dennis Felton?s job. Rendered shorthanded with
injuries and personal considerations through much of the season, UGA surprised by
turning on their tourney jets, winding up with three wins in two days (including that
improbable, storm-induced Saturday doubleheader). It?s a tribute to Felton that Billy Humphrey, Terrance Woodbury and the rest of the Dawgs responded so strongly to the
pressure. But now, they?re facing a seasoned Dance regular who essentially dominated
the lion?s share of their A-10 schedule and was good enough to beat Kent State,
UMass, Charlotte and Rhode Island on the road. The health of G Drew Lavender is a
concern, which prevents a step-out, but fully expect X to advance behind Josh
Duncan and friends. XAVIER, 69-61.

7) WEST VIRGINIA vs. (10) ARIZONA -- Lame-duck Cats coach Kevin
O?Neil likes to just roll the ball out and let his kids play. They look great in pick-up
games, but rarely put together a solid 40 minutes straight. Point guard Nic Wise is
back to form after missing most of the season with an injury ? that helps. Question is
not whether Wise, Bayless, Budinger and crew can score ? but it?s whether they can
play defense and rebound for a full game. If they can?t, budding Mountaineer star Joe
Alexander (27 ppg in last 6) will eat their breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Alexander?s
team does not defend the 3 well, so if the B-Boys from ?Zona can get hot, they can
pull the mild upset. Talent is there. Execution is not. WEST VIRGINIA, 74-69.

(2) DUKE vs. (15) BELMONT -- Coach K would love to see a similar match
up for the next three weeks ? small team, weak on the boards, all offense, no
defense. Sorry coach ? you can play Belmont only once. Duke will get their fair share
of open 3?s in this one. They?ve hit 10-plus 3-pointers 15 times this season and they?ll
likely push the total to 16. Duke implemented a new substitution pattern in the ACC
tourney to rest players, so don?t look for the Dukie starters to log big minutes. This
will be a track meet without the photo finish. DUKE, 90-68.

NBA:

BEST BET
BOSTON over *DALLAS by 7
The Celtics play the fourth game of their five-game road trip against the Dallas Mavericks, a
team desperately trying to find their identity before the playoffs commence. The results since
their massive trade for Jason Kidd have been mixed, with doses of terrifying, as the Mavericks
have managed to beat every non-playoff team they?ve faced while succumbing to those
squads they may match up against during the more important second season. Boston has not
had such issues, but spent this week playing Texas? other two teams ? now they?ll try to knock
off the Mavericks in Dallas. Dirk Nowitzki and company have improved their play with Jason
Kidd, but have yet to prove they can hang with the real big boys ? indeed, they had failed to
do so before Kidd?s arrival. Look at this game as an opportunity to take the Celtics with a relatively small spread.
BOSTON 97-90

RECOMMENDED
*UTAH over L.A. LAKERS by 8
The Lakers received a scare when Pau Gasol injured his ankle last Friday ? luckily, Gasol is
only expected to miss a week to ten days, and should be ready for the playoffs. With the tenuous status of the injured Andrew Bynum, not having Gasol would torpedo the hopes of a team who has so dramatically improved their play. While the long term isn?t so bleak, Gasol is widely expected to miss this entire week at the least, and the Lakers will be facing a rested Utah squad that has the bulk and size to bully around the Lakers in the paint. With Ronny Turiaf andLamar Odom expected to receive the majority of the frontcourt minutes, the Lakers should
prove susceptible to the power basketball stylings that Jerry Sloan prefers. Being on national
television should elicit a strong effort from both squads, but this might be one of those games
where Kobe jacks up 30+ shots to poor results while superior team play takes down the purple
and gold. UTAH 115-107

Last edited: