Should Hillary concede now?

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
? The California Supreme Court, which is required by law to review every death penalty case, spends $11.8 million annually for court-appointed defense counsel.

? The Office of the State Public Defender, which represents some death row inmates, has an annual budget of $11.3 million. The San Francisco-based Habeas Corpus Resource Center, another state-funded office, represents inmates and trains death penalty attorneys on a budget of $11 million.

? Finally, federal public defenders offices in Los Angeles and Sacramento, and private attorneys appointed by the federal court system for California cases, receive about $12 million annually.

The resulting $114-million annual cost does not include the substantial extra funds needed to try the complicated capital cases in county courts.

I got a idea.

No more private attorneys. Let the goverment hire their own in house attorneys that will get a salary to work on this crap.

Lawyers shit the bed too often with charges you cant even figure out. Think Hospitals.

Cut all this lawyer fat and we got a good start on making America better.

Eddie

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
And he takes the under 30 group 61/39. Maybe they don't know how to think yet??:mj07:
Wouldn't call that earth shattering DJV
Youngsters easily swayed by teachers and words--haven't experienced life of work-taxes and consequences yet--however after the Tony robbins rah rah speeches of primary--their interest in election will abate as always.

IMO As I said from beginning--his nomination is best chance of GOP to pull another out in 08--you can thank Soros-kos-move on and others once again :)

bjfinste

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
AZ
I got a idea.

No more private attorneys. Let the goverment hire their own in house attorneys that will get a salary to work on this crap.

Lawyers shit the bed too often with charges you cant even figure out. Think Hospitals.

Cut all this lawyer fat and we got a good start on making America better.

Scotty,

They have no choice but to contract private attorneys. There aren't enough public lawyers that are capable of trying a death penalty case (at least in some of the larger jurisdictions, such as Maricopa County here, where I work as a law clerk). The number of defendants greatly outnumbers the number of adequate attorneys. Defendants have a constitutional right to effective assistance of counsel, so you can't just throw in some guy three months out of law school who has been working drug possession cases. On top of that, the preparation time for a capital case is much greater than that of a random felony trial because capital trials are essentially two trials: the guilt/innocence phase and then the aggravation/mitigation/sentencing phase. So you can't just pile 5-6 cases on a qualified capital public defense lawyers desk unless you don't want some of those cases to see the inside of a courthouse for 8-10 years.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will say that I have spent the last year clerking for death penalty defense lawyers, and next spring will be working with the federal office on capital habeas appeals. And I hope to eventually go into public defense doing death penalty defense work once I graduate next year. From my experiences, it is difficult for a capital lawyer to have even three cases at once, let alone several.

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
Wonder if this would help or hurt Obama?

20 Million Reasons

What will it take for either of the Democratic presidential candidates to win the support of California superdelegate Steven Ybarra? How about $20 million?

Ybarra says that is the amount of money he needs to register 1.3 million Mexican-American voters and get them to the polls in November. In an interview with the Associated Press, Ybarra says he has not decided whether to support Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton because, "nobody showed me any money yet."

But is $20 million to much to ask for? Ybarra says absolutely not, adding that in 2004, Democrats

bryanz

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Syracuse ny, usa

20 Million Reasons

What will it take for either of the Democratic presidential candidates to win the support of California superdelegate Steven Ybarra? How about $20 million?

Ybarra says that is the amount of money he needs to register 1.3 million Mexican-American voters and get them to the polls in November. In an interview with the Associated Press, Ybarra says he has not decided whether to support Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton because, "nobody showed me any money yet."

But is $20 million to much to ask for? Ybarra says absolutely not, adding that in 2004, Democrats

20 million is chump change to sit behind that desk in the oval office. Look how much SLICK WILLY has made. How much did Bush 41 make? How much has 43 and friends made and will make ?

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
20 million

Hillary will take that out of her pesonal allowance, loan it to herself, send it to switzerland, and get back 40 million.

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane

20 Million Reasons

I still think if Hillary had the money she would be funneling it to superdelagates.

too bad she is almost broke.

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
blackhawk_landing1.jpg

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
Death row inmate: 'I'm ready and I'm sorry'
Kentucky man waives appeals, wants execution after killing two children

Marco Allen Chapman, interviewed Monday at Kentucky State Penitentiary in Eddyville, Ky., has tried to block an appeal to delay his execution.
View related photos
Daniel R. Patmore / AP

EDDYVILLE, Ky. - Marco Allen Chapman is ready to die.

After more than three years of waiting for courts to consider an appeal he never wanted, the death row inmate may soon get his wish and become the first person executed in Kentucky since 1999.

"I'm willing to accept the consequences for the crime I committed," Chapman told The Associated Press in a recent interview, his first since pleading guilty to the 2002 stabbing deaths of two children after a two-day crack binge.

Several states are moving swiftly forward on death penalty cases after the U.S. Supreme Court, in a landmark ruling on a different Kentucky case, upheld the widely used three-drug method of lethal injection. This week, Georgia became the first to execute an inmate after the seven-month hiatus. Condemned inmates in Alabama, Mississippi and Texas also had dates set for their lethal injections.

Chapman's execution hasn't been scheduled, but prosecutors will be aided by the fact that he waived his right to a jury trial, asked the judge for a death sentence and waived his appeals.

If the Kentucky Supreme Court rejects his latest appeal, Chapman could be dead as soon as June, 3 1/2 years after his conviction.:SIB

That would be extraordinarily fast ? death penalty cases take an average of 12 years to play out.:scared

Too slow ...
To Chapman, it feels like an eternity.

"It's long and drawn out," Chapman said. "I don't see why it should take so long. If a man is sane and competent, he ought to be able to get his wishes ... especially when you plea-bargain for it."

He lives with the memories of the children he killed in Warsaw, a small town an hour northeast of Louisville. In the middle of the night, Chapman went to the home of Carolyn Marksberry, a friend of his family. He knocked on the door, then put a knife to her throat. He tied her up, raped and stabbed her, then attacked her children. The oldest, Courtney Sharon, played dead. Chelbi Sharon, 7, and Cody, 6, were killed.

"To this day, I still don't know why. I don't know exactly what happened that night," Chapman said. "I did something that was immoral and wrong. I want to pay the price for it."

Chapman certainly isn't the first condemned inmate to ask for his sentence to be carried out. Robert Charles Comer was finally executed by Arizona last year after fighting for seven years to be executed. Much of that time was spent trying to prove his competency.:SIB :SIB :shrug:

But legal experts say Chapman's case is unique because his court-appointed attorneys are fighting for his life against his wishes, arguing he suffers from depression and is unable to decide his own fate. Yet Chapman has been found to be mentally competent multiple times, according to prosecutors' filings.

... or too fast?
Richard Jaffe, a Birmingham, Ala., attorney who has handled more than 50 death penalty cases, said the speed of Chapman's case is "disturbing."

"This is extraordinarily short," said Jaffe, who is on the board of directors of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.

Chapman's attorneys, Donna Boyce and Randall Wheeler, have declined to comment while the case is pending. Calls to Boone Commonwealth Attorney Linda Talley-Smith, the local prosecutor on Chapman's case, were not returned.

Kentucky has executed just two inmates since 1976: Harold McQueen, who was electrocuted in 1997 for the 1981 robbery and murder of a convenience store clerk; and Eddie Lee Harper, who died by lethal injection in 1999. Harper spent 16 years on death row for killing his adoptive parents before he dropped his appeals and asked for his sentence to be carried out.

The Rev. Pat Delahanty, who heads the Kentucky Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, said cases of inmates volunteering for execution generally move quickly through the courts because there is no one to stop the proceedings.

"That's about the only time anyone pays any attention to the inmate," Delahanty said. "It's tragic. It's a form of state-assisted suicide, really."

Chapman awaits his fate at the Kentucky State Penitentiary, spending 22 hours a day in his cell on death row, where most of the 34 other inmates continually put off their sentences with court motions, appeals and pleas for clemency.

Suicide ? in the traditional sense ? is not an option.

"I guess it's kind of my Christian upbringing," Chapman said. "Suicide is unforgivable. I figure if I'm not doing it to myself

These fawking killers of children cant even die when they want to . Its absolutely crazy not to execute them much quicker. Instead we pay
90 grand a year to watch them on death row.

If you are convicted of killing innocent children you should roast like a christamas turkey. No appeals , no delays, no remorse. Pull the switch.

Give the 300 K you save on taking care of them to the family who will be affected by this for the rest of their lives.

Last edited:

The Sponge

Forum Member
Aug 24, 2006
Scotty your hatred of Hilary rivals Weasels hatred of Spyweb and lets be honest here. Your reasons are crap and petty. Just my humble opinion.

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
Scotty your hatred of Hilary rivals Weasels hatred of Spyweb and lets be honest here. Your reasons are crap and petty. Just my humble opinion.

Its not that I hate Hillary. I hate what she stands for.

And if Billy wasnt going to be first lady that would make it easier for me.

while he was tasting interns, bin laden was available to be had.

Comes down what was really important to slick.

DoMyDermBest

Forum Member
Oct 7, 2003
Deep in the heart of Texas
No Hilary should not pull out yet. Bill likes that 12 inch dildo she has strapped on up his a$$. Besides, there is still plenty of time for Bill to Fosterize Obama. His opportunity is better if she can extort the second spot on the ticket. If Bill has to pull the trigger before then, Scott gets my vote to be VP.

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
No Hilary should not pull out yet. Bill likes that 12 inch dildo she has strapped on up his a$$. Besides, there is still plenty of time for Bill to Fosterize Obama. His opportunity is better if she can extort the second spot on the ticket. If Bill has to pull the trigger before then, Scott gets my vote to be VP.

DoMyDermBest

Geezz Louise :142smilie :142smilie

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
Scotty,

They have no choice but to contract private attorneys. There aren't enough public lawyers that are capable of trying a death penalty case (at least in some of the larger jurisdictions, such as Maricopa County here, where I work as a law clerk). The number of defendants greatly outnumbers the number of adequate attorneys. .

In the interest of full disclosure, I will say that I have spent the last year clerking for death penalty defense lawyers, and next spring will be working with the federal office on capital habeas appeals. And I hope to eventually go into public defense doing death penalty defense work once I graduate next year. From my experiences, it is difficult for a capital lawyer to have even three cases at once, let alone several.

bjfinste

I respect the legal system and congrats on working hard to be a part of it and being successful.

I dont mind the best lawyers assigned for the initial trial . But the appeal crap stinks.

This is what I would do. Any law firm that has a business license in the jurisdiction would have to be available to take a appeals case and work it for free. Get a pool of law offices that could do the death appeals and draw their names.

Its not right that taxpayers have to pay for this. If the law offices were paying this themselves, I think the cases would move rapidly to a completion.

Somehow I think Eddie would not agree with me.
But I think I just heard a ambulance going by.

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
With states like Texas haveing so many cases over turned. This after guys have been in prison for years. You need a process to keep system on level. It's on real how D N A testing has changed things.

Bet on MyBookie