Tipping

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
How much do you guys usually tip? I just got back from a cruise where I tipped accordingly to their guidelines. However, I tipped my Stateroom attendant (who went above and beyond in getting me buckets of ice for the illegal alcohol I smuggled into my stateroom) an extra Benjamin and then some. I made sure everyone in our party of 8 gave him extra too, because the service was great. I can't say the same for the dining room staff who I tipped accordingly to the ships recommendation (rude to my wife several times when translating - had czech in laws with us and their friends, a waiter raised his voice at me when he was trying to take my order and I hadn't made up my mind, and several other episodes throughout the trip etc etc. etc.). I was really sort of pissed off about the imbalance of service - stateroom attendant excellent, dining staff terrible. Oh well gave the stateroom attendant 3x recommended and the dining staff 1x recommended. I feel if you do a great job you should be rewarded, especially since this was a special vacation for my family and I. Do a shitty job, and you'll get the recommended amount.

Maybe his will take some attention way from the insurance thread :142smilie :142smilie :142smilie

kneifl

Mr. Poon

Sugar?
Forum Member
Jan 14, 2006
Colorado
Sorry, didn't want you to have another crab dip thread with no replies.

At least we will both be cheering on the Huskers tomorrow. :shrug:

IX_Bender

Forum Member
crab%20dip.jpg

hedgehog

Registered
Forum Member
Oct 30, 2003
TX
How much do you guys usually tip? I just got back from a cruise where I tipped accordingly to their guidelines. However, I tipped my Stateroom attendant (who went above and beyond in getting me buckets of ice for the illegal alcohol I smuggled into my stateroom) an extra Benjamin and then some. I made sure everyone in our party of 8 gave him extra too, because the service was great. I can't say the same for the dining room staff who I tipped accordingly to the ships recommendation (rude to my wife several times when translating - had czech in laws with us and their friends, a waiter raised his voice at me when he was trying to take my order and I hadn't made up my mind, and several other episodes throughout the trip etc etc. etc.). I was really sort of pissed off about the imbalance of service - stateroom attendant excellent, dining staff terrible. Oh well gave the stateroom attendant 3x recommended and the dining staff 1x recommended. I feel if you do a great job you should be rewarded, especially since this was a special vacation for my family and I. Do a shitty job, and you'll get the recommended amount.

Maybe his will take some attention way from the insurance thread :142smilie :142smilie :142smilie

kneifl

I am a tight wad I only tip what is expected nothing more

BUCSnotYUCKS

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 6, 2007
Ohio but not a Buckeye
I wouldn't have tipped hardly shit to the servers. I worked in the restaurant industry for 5 years. You shouldn't tip someone for doing their job.

Hope you had a good trip.

theGibber1

Forum Member
Aug 27, 2001
Dallas TX
Im an over tipper.. not by much but i worked in the biz all through college..

All it takes is just a few extra bucks and you can make someones day.. feels good

WhatsHisNuts

Woke
Forum Member
Aug 29, 2006
Earth
www.ffrf.org
You tipped the Stateroom Attendant "an extra Benjamin and then some"..... If I'm following along correctly, you're saying that you tipped this guy between $200-$250. Is that right? Seems a bit high (by about $200).

Only time I have tipped $100 is when I tipped the guys from the Two Men and a Truck for doing such a good job, but I think that is somewhat standard.

For most things that are standard tipping situations (drinks and food service) I tip between 15-25%. The higher % is usually when I get something inexpensive but they had to fill my coffee and water more than once. When we go on vacation, we typically leave a $5 bill on the nightstand to tip the person cleaning the room and I will try to catch the guy filling my fridge (all inclusives) and slide him a $5 or so as well.

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
i tip too much. going broke. my advice would be to tip 20% less than whatever you are bout to tip.;)

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
You tipped the Stateroom Attendant "an extra Benjamin and then some"..... If I'm following along correctly, you're saying that you tipped this guy between $200-$250. Is that right? Seems a bit high (by about $200).

Maybe it was high :shrug: However, he did his job well. I had ice all of the time for my rum and cokes the beds were made 2x a day, he always made us towel animals, and he was very respectful and fun the whole trip:)

Now, the dining room attendants they were a fucking disaster. Our head waiter acted like a snobby homosexual, and others were just plain rude. The difference was night and day:scared :scared

Don't get me wrong, at the end of he trip (when I knew they couldn't spit in my food) I let guest services know just how I felt about the dining staff and then tiped the recommended amounts to them, no more. As for the stateroom attendant, I'm one that always does a bit extra for excellent service.

kneifl

Bet on MyBookie