What do you do when a company (or individual) fails it's agreement

lostinamerica

Forum Member
Oct 10, 2001
Between Green Bay and Iowa City
Contractually you don't have to pay a cent unless the contract is fulfilled

Unless you have an express provision of your contract on that precise point, that is not even close to accurate in any of the 50 states for a contractor who cuts down 10 of 11 trees, nor would it be close to accurate for a contractor who builds 10/11ths of a house.

GL

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
For 2200, I would have bought a 1500 chainsaw and do it myself.

Right, you would. There were about 18 of them when I moved in. I cut all of them down with a chainsaw that were short (20 feet or less), that I knew wouldn't land on the house. These were 40-50 ft high with the tallest one being 80 feet high that is still there. One of the guys was like a monkey (lanky and flexible) in that he could climb them to the top and cut down to the bottom. I'm in good shape but would never attempt that.

kneifl

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
Right, you would. There were about 18 of them when I moved in. I cut all of them down with a chainsaw that were short (20 feet or less), that I knew wouldn't land on the house. These were 40-50 ft high with the tallest one being 80 feet high that is still there. One of the guys was like a monkey (lanky and flexible) in that he could climb them to the top and cut down to the bottom. I'm in good shape but would never attempt that.

kneifl

if they cleaned up and hauled away all debri after taking out 10 trees that were 40 foot or more you got the deal of a lifetime..

now ya can give someone $1,000.00 to take out that 80 footer..

no one got hurt...count your blessings..those boys were hungry..

Handi Capper

'That Said'
Forum Member
Apr 8, 2004
northern Ky
Yeah, that's the thing. They don't want to complete the work. I guess I have no choice but to dock them. I'm very unhappy about this though. Very slimy/dishonest way to do business on their part.

I could be a total dick about it and not pay them at all until they finish the work, but frankly I'm sick of the foreman (owner) being a whiny little bitch. I yelled at him a few times just now so I'm sure he "gets" it. At this point, I just want them to get the fuck out of my backyard and clean up their mess. Really angry about this - people are just not right. He did cut down 10 trees though, largest one I'm stuck with I guess.

kneifl

OUTSIDE NOW

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
if they cleaned up and hauled away all debri after taking out 10 trees that were 40 foot or more you got the deal of a lifetime..

now ya can give someone $1,000.00 to take out that 80 footer..

no one got hurt...count your blessings..those boys were hungry..

Some were bigger than 40 feet, maybe closer to 50-55 ft while others were 35-45 feet.

As for your input, I agree. I knew I had them on the initial visit being so close to the holidays, negotiating came easy for me. You comments echo the same thing my father said. I am still pissed they didn't fulfill the contract though. Off to get the stump grinder for a second time I guess, now I bet Joker could even do that.

kneifl

McKenzie

Commo Commander
Forum Member
Any contract for less than 10 grand isn't worth the paper it is printed on. It isn't worth it to sue anyone for less than 10 grand so such a contract is really meaningless. Most all business owners know this and have no problem signing such a contract, knowing that they can undercut the customer and there is nothing the customer can do about it besides complain.

UGA12

Forum Member
Jul 7, 2003
Between The Hedges
Any contract for less than 10 grand isn't worth the paper it is printed on. It isn't worth it to sue anyone for less than 10 grand so such a contract is really meaningless. Most all business owners know this and have no problem signing such a contract, knowing that they can undercut the customer and there is nothing the customer can do about it besides complain.

Could the same not be said if the customer just refused to pay:shrug:

greggraffin

Progressing
Forum Member
Feb 23, 2005
Long story short, I paid a tree removal company to cut down 11 trees. They told me now they are only cutting down 10. They were looking for work and came knocking on my door. Signed a contract and everything for the job both sides agreed on. I told them to cut down the eleventh tree (also the biggest, and the tree I wanted cut down the most) or I will dock them $500 (off the total) and I'm very pissed right now. What would you do?

kneifl

Red card them

BobbyBlueChip

Trustee
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
Belly of the Beast
I'm in good shape.

kneifl

f67334bc58f2468bad15312669d5edaa0afe4c44de4eb56039994a47f00d296b.jpg

HankWilliamsJr

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 10, 2014
hank once paid for a service that said 75% years ago when i was a dummy....i should have sooed him when he couldn't pick his ass.

:mj07::mj07::mj07::mj07:

UGA12

Forum Member
Jul 7, 2003
Between The Hedges
Yes, pretty much. Though they can hurt your credit. They can also file a lien against your house. There isn't much you can do, though.

How difficult is filing a lien on someone? What is the threshold of proof/information? How does it play out when one sells their home? There has to be some mediator/judge that comes into play rather than just some contractors word. no? And would someone going door to door soliciting work in broken English really go this route:shrug:

Last edited:
Bet on MyBookie