YES YES YES, Machida is 1 - and - done!

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

RowdyRider

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Report: Mauricio "Shogun" Rua agrees to face Lyoto Machida in October

With current No. 1 contender Quinton "Rampage" Jackson electing to face Rashad Evans rather than take an immediate shot at regaining the UFC's light-heavyweight title, Brazilian slugger Mauricio "Shogun" Rua has reportedly agreed to be new champ Lyoto Machida's first title challenger.

While speculation of the potential bout has been widely circulating since the announcement of Jackson and Evans as coaches on "TUF 10," Portuguese-language website SuperLutas reports Rua has signed on for the bout.

Attempts by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) to confirm the reports with Machida's camp were unsuccessful.

UFC President Dana White himself began the speculation when he posted the message "Look who's in the office today!!!" on his Twitter account Tuesday afternoon. The message included a photo of White with Rua.

The SuperLutas report claims Rua signed a contract extension and agreed to the Machida fight at that time.

Rua last fought in April, earning a first-round TKO victory over Chuck Liddell. Following the bout, White made it clear he was impressed with the performance.

"I think 'Shogun' proved tonight that all the people that were talking about him ? I said this earlier ? this kid had ring rust," White said at the UFC 97 post-event press conference. "He had been off for a while. He had two knee surgeries. You just can't sit out that long, I don't care who you are. Muhammad Ali, whoever.

"Anybody who's taken too much time off in the ring, it hurts you. You've got to get back on your horse, get in there and start fighting again. 'Shogun' proved tonight that he's back. He got hit with some big shots from a guy who knocks people out. He took them. He was throwing hard leg kicks form the beginning of the fight."

Machida's official website still lists Jackson as his next opponent, the same claim White made following the Brazilian's title win over Evans at Saturday night's UFC 98.

However, Jackson has since made it known he volunteered for "TUF" coaching duties for a chance to meet Evans and address the rivalry that began with an in-cage showdown following "Rampage's" win at UFC 96 in March.

Should the report hold true, the Machida vs. Rua bout could serve as a potential headliner for the UFC's recently announced Oct. 24 event at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Coach_K

Forum Member
Oct 3, 2007
Please put me on the record...Machida will destroy Rua! Rua may last longer than Rashad but he will not win. Everyone keeps saying that Machida is just the bandwagon guy and everyone loves him, well the same is for Rua, everyone is living on his Pride performances and KO of Chuck. Machida uses the cage to his advantage and will cut off the octogon for Rua, forcing him to do something he doesn't want to. I am sure Machida will be 3 to 1 fav or better, so it wont be worth the bet, but Rua's conditioning is still a huge question and he will not be able to hang with the champ. I honestly don't see anyone beating Machida in his next three matches. Rua - NO, Rampage/Evens - NO, #3 late in 2010??? I just don't see this guy losing in the next 18 months.

RowdyRider

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Please put me on the record...Machida will destroy Rua! Rua may last longer than Rashad but he will not win. Everyone keeps saying that Machida is just the bandwagon guy and everyone loves him, well the same is for Rua, everyone is living on his Pride performances and KO of Chuck. Machida uses the cage to his advantage and will cut off the octogon for Rua, forcing him to do something he doesn't want to. I am sure Machida will be 3 to 1 fav or better, so it wont be worth the bet, but Rua's conditioning is still a huge question and he will not be able to hang with the champ. I honestly don't see anyone beating Machida in his next three matches. Rua - NO, Rampage/Evens - NO, #3 late in 2010??? I just don't see this guy losing in the next 18 months.

LOL, instead of just saying he will destroy Rua, please give a legitimate argument other than you just think s. He will cut off the cage? Who cage? Is that why he will win? LOL

Everyone said Chuck would KO Shogun because Shogun and his cardio, aggressiveness on top of his wild strikes.

The problem with questionig Shogun and his cardio is that his cardio isn't a problem. His injuries and time off were the problem. If you've EVER played any type of athletics, you would know that you can't be sidelined for 1 1/2 years and expect to come in and be a cardio freak right away. Yep, bring up the Griffin fight, and I'll bring up he fought with a torn ACL. The point is, Shogun's cardio isn't a problem, but just an illusion.

Shogun can take a punch, which has been proven over and over. Shogun has been in big mega fights with big time pressure. This isn't his first Rodeo.

Shogun took down Chuck, someone who hadn't been on his back in YEARS and is a much more feared striker than Machida, I'm sorry. Machida was taken down by Tito(couldn't take dwn Chuck, ever) and Sokoudjou(horrible ground game), I don't think Shogun will have any problem taking him down.

There is no way in hell that Machida is 3:1 or even more. If so, I'm loading up on Shogun and going on vacation.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
seems like an awfully long time to wait for the fight when it's going to be a huge ass-kicking.

I thought Rua would kill Chuck too (just like he did), but I know he doesn't have a chance in hell at beating Lyoto. Should be another nice knockout for boring old Machida. :)

RowdyRider

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2009
seems like an awfully long time to wait for the fight when it's going to be a huge ass-kicking.

I thought Rua would kill Chuck too (just like he did), but I know he doesn't have a chance in hell at beating Lyoto. Should be another nice knockout for boring old Machida. :)

Shogun has never been KO'd...so I wouldn't count on it.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Coach_K

Forum Member
Oct 3, 2007
RR - you seem like a knowledgable guy but saying that "If I have ever played an athletic sport" is a bit obscure. We all played sports or at least enjoy them otherwise we wouldnt be on this site. Some of us still competitively play sports. Not sure if your best days are behind you or what but you come off as a big pessimist. that being said can we get back to the MMA.

Machida said he still has room for improvement, which I agree, he keeps his hands down and chin up, but his striking style doesnt require his hands to be up all the time. He sort of leans back and picks his spots so he can wait until the time is right to attack.

Machida was -200 vs the undefeated, champion of maybe the best division in MMA. He will be at least -200 vs Rua, maybe even -400.

If you are so confident Rua will defeat Machida, please make me an offer...I will bet you personally if you would like. Evans right now probably has the best chance against Machida but after that destruction I think he is affraid. Rua will also be afraid. Just wait until Machida kicks his bandaged ACL, then TKO's him. Rua will probably tap in the late second early third due to strikes.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
i really think that the difference in the pride/ufc rules make a difference for some of the old pride guys....the thing that always stuck in my mind about rua was the soccer kicks and muay thai......

rua was a wildly aggressive fighter in pride and maybe that bodes well for him vs machida....i`m not sure anybody in the division can out-strategize him....

maybe an all-out offensive attack from the get-go...before machida has a chance to settle into that methodical rhythm....is the way to go?.....

i don`t think you can let the guy settle into that slow pace he loves....

but he`s such an amazing counter puncher....

what do you do?....try and put him on his back?.....

how do you beat the guy?.....i really don`t know...

muhr

Forum Member
Jul 28, 2007
LOL, instead of just saying he will destroy Rua, please give a legitimate argument other than you just think s. He will cut off the cage? Who cage? Is that why he will win? LOL

Everyone said Chuck would KO Shogun because Shogun and his cardio, aggressiveness on top of his wild strikes.

The problem with questionig Shogun and his cardio is that his cardio isn't a problem. His injuries and time off were the problem. If you've EVER played any type of athletics, you would know that you can't be sidelined for 1 1/2 years and expect to come in and be a cardio freak right away. Yep, bring up the Griffin fight, and I'll bring up he fought with a torn ACL. The point is, Shogun's cardio isn't a problem, but just an illusion.

Shogun can take a punch, which has been proven over and over. Shogun has been in big mega fights with big time pressure. This isn't his first Rodeo.

Shogun took down Chuck, someone who hadn't been on his back in YEARS and is a much more feared striker than Machida, I'm sorry. Machida was taken down by Tito(couldn't take dwn Chuck, ever) and Sokoudjou(horrible ground game), I don't think Shogun will have any problem taking him down.

There is no way in hell that Machida is 3:1 or even more. If so, I'm loading up on Shogun and going on vacation.

tito failed on every takedown attempt and soko was quickly reversed.

however, rua's takedowns are mainly from the clinch like soko's, so i expect he should have more success with his takedowns than someone shooting for doubles or singles.

talking about chuck at this point in his career as anything other than a shopworn fighter is a stretch though. i find it hard to believe that his takedown defense is still stellar while his punch softened brain is leaking out of his nose.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

RowdyRider

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2009
RR - you seem like a knowledgable guy but saying that "If I have ever played an athletic sport" is a bit obscure. We all played sports or at least enjoy them otherwise we wouldnt be on this site. Some of us still competitively play sports. Not sure if your best days are behind you or what but you come off as a big pessimist. that being said can we get back to the MMA.

Machida said he still has room for improvement, which I agree, he keeps his hands down and chin up, but his striking style doesnt require his hands to be up all the time. He sort of leans back and picks his spots so he can wait until the time is right to attack.

Machida was -200 vs the undefeated, champion of maybe the best division in MMA. He will be at least -200 vs Rua, maybe even -400.

If you are so confident Rua will defeat Machida, please make me an offer...I will bet you personally if you would like. Evans right now probably has the best chance against Machida but after that destruction I think he is affraid. Rua will also be afraid. Just wait until Machida kicks his bandaged ACL, then TKO's him. Rua will probably tap in the late second early third due to strikes.

I still like to think I'm in my prime, but I've also had to take time on the shelf because of a broken wrist as well as a torn tendon in my ankle. So yes, I kow what it's like with cardio when it comes to athletics. It takes "game experience" to get the rust and cardio back to normal. You can practice all you want, but you learn the most with the lights on...

You are right that Rashad had never been KO'd, but Rashad also had only been on the brightest stage one time, and that was against Chuck. Shogun is young but primed, and I'd like to think he's faced much more dangerous strikers...

What does betting you personally do for me? I'm supposed to expect someone over the internet to pay me? Yeah right, I've been stiffed in poker and bets on other sites before...

I do find it hilarious that one of the best fightes in the world is going to be "affraid" of Machida. Chute Boxe guys aren't afraid to fight anyone but themselves, you should know that.

tito failed on every takedown attempt and soko was quickly reversed.

however, rua's takedowns are mainly from the clinch like soko's, so i expect he should have more success with his takedowns than someone shooting for doubles or singles.

talking about chuck at this point in his career as anything other than a shopworn fighter is a stretch though. i find it hard to believe that his takedown defense is still stellar while his punch softened brain is leaking out of his nose.

It doesn't matter if Sokoudjou's was reversed in 5 minutes or 5 seconds, the fact is Sokoudjou, who sucks completely on the ground, took this "unbeatable" force to the ground. How do you think a guy with great takedowns is going to do?

layinwood

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2001
Dallas, TX
Most know my favorite fighter is Rua so I'm a little biased but I think Rua has the best shot of everyone in the division.

Rua has a chin that nobody can question, he's taken some bombs and just kept fighting. He uses kicks as much as anyone to set up his punches and moves into the clinch. His takedowns from the clinch are very good, assuming he can get into a clinch.

BJJ is a wash I believe.

The one thing I think could make a big difference is the strength of Shogun. I believe is was Page that said he was suprised at how strong Shogun was. I think of Shogun a lot like I think of Fedor, they don't have the strongest looking bodies but when it comes down to it you don't see fighters that look stronger in the ring. Whether that's technique or just plain strength he has it.

I think if Shogun and Evans fought right now, Shogun would be favored by just a little. I see Machida being around 175-190 over Shogun, maybe right at 200 after his ko of Evans but not more than that.

Coach K, Machida won't be using the cage to cut of Rua because he won't be the one moving ahead in this fight. Shogun will be hunting Machida the whole fight and that's my big worry. Machida may have the chance to pick him apart after sloppy wild punches by Shogun.

I'll be betting Shogun big if the price is right, not because Machida isn't great but because I do believe Shogun is the guy that has a chance and with Machida's be KO the price could be very good.

Last edited:

Ghost Kid

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 23, 2008
this thread is pretty funny
I would lean Machida (he really is incredible), but honestly I think Shogun does have the best shot out of the contenders in the UFC

He sure has a better chance than freakin Rampage does

What's funny about the thread is before the last fight, everyone on these boards was crapping all over Rua
:mj07:

What a difference a fight makes!
last time out, I think only me, weepaul, and layinwood were on Rua BIG. I could be wrong. Sorry if I left anyone out. But the Chuck support was pretty huge at madjack.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

RowdyRider

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2009
this thread is pretty funny
I would lean Machida (he really is incredible), but honestly I think Shogun does have the best shot out of the contenders in the UFC

He sure has a better chance than freakin Rampage does

What's funny about the thread is before the last fight, everyone on these boards was crapping all over Rua
:mj07:

What a difference a fight makes!
last time out, I think only me, weepaul, and layinwood were on Rua BIG. I could be wrong. Sorry if I left anyone out. But the Chuck support was pretty huge at madjack.

I would be one of those people.

I also made a big thread on sherdog about all the moronic pro's picking Chuck to beat Shogun.

Shogun is hands down my favorite fighter, but I also understand the sport.(not saying anyone here doesn't, just implying) Rua has what it takes to beat Machida. Like I said you can't be a pick and pop or duck and dive type of fighter to beat Machida. You have to push him, push him, push him. I don't care how good of a counter striker you are, it's alot more difficult to be on defense then on offense.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
I would be one of those people.

I also made a big thread on sherdog about all the moronic pro's picking Chuck to beat Shogun.

Shogun is hands down my favorite fighter, but I also understand the sport.(not saying anyone here doesn't, just implying) Rua has what it takes to beat Machida. Like I said you can't be a pick and pop or duck and dive type of fighter to beat Machida. You have to push him, push him, push him. I don't care how good of a counter striker you are, it's alot more difficult to be on defense then on offense.

rowdy...are you the old"bucsnotyuks"?...just trying to understand who i`m listening to...

if so,you were known in here...it was all good.....why`d you switch up?(if you don`t mind my asking...if so,no problem)...

thanks..

Coach_K

Forum Member
Oct 3, 2007
I guess we'll see. I understand your points about Shogun and think he is a good fighter but I am not doing backflips for a guy that hasnt won against a top level guy in the UFC. When the odds come out can one of you please post them?

If Machida is -200 or less I would play on him rather than rua at like +150 or +160. I wasn't one that talked crap about Rua and still am not, I am simply saying that Machida is still underrated. He will continue to get better and he will NOT lose the belt in 2009

To be honest I am almost more excited for the Rampage/Evans fight than I am for Rua/Machida. I was really hoping Rashad won for that fact alone. I thought if Machida won, then page would fight for title then some day down the road we would get to see the two shit talkers (page/evans) go at it. I wish they could skip the show and just fight in like July or August.

Ghost Kid

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 23, 2008
I guess we'll see. I understand your points about Shogun and think he is a good fighter but I am not doing backflips for a guy that hasnt won against a top level guy in the UFC. When the odds come out can one of you please post them?

If Machida is -200 or less I would play on him rather than rua at like +150 or +160. I wasn't one that talked crap about Rua and still am not, I am simply saying that Machida is still underrated. He will continue to get better and he will NOT lose the belt in 2009

To be honest I am almost more excited for the Rampage/Evans fight than I am for Rua/Machida. I was really hoping Rashad won for that fact alone. I thought if Machida won, then page would fight for title then some day down the road we would get to see the two shit talkers (page/evans) go at it. I wish they could skip the show and just fight in like July or August.

One thing I wll say about Rampage-Evans
is that was a BRUTAL KO he just absorbed
Not saying Rashad can't beat Rampage
but in boxing, when guys get lit like that, they often don't return the same
not sure if this is the case as much in MMA

Coach_K

Forum Member
Oct 3, 2007
One thing I wll say about Rampage-Evans
is that was a BRUTAL KO he just absorbed
Not saying Rashad can't beat Rampage
but in boxing, when guys get lit like that, they often don't return the same
not sure if this is the case as much in MMA

I completely agree and that is what I am affraid of. I wish Page would have fought for the title then Machida could've taken it from the Page/Evans winner. Makes all the sense in world for evans to do the show and take his time recooping.

layinwood

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2001
Dallas, TX
GW, I know what you're saying about Bucs and Rowdy. I thought the same thing a while back. I'll bet their age is close to the same.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

kegray1

Benneteau fan
Forum Member
Nov 4, 2004
Houston
rowdy...are you the old"bucsnotyuks"?...just trying to understand who i`m listening to...

I was wondering that myself.
Was going to wait until he talks about Wanderlei to know for sure if it is him.:mj07:
Just bash Silva and see if Rowdy gets sensitive about it. We all know Bucs would.

As for this thread. 17 posts already for a fight that isn't until October.:142smilie

muhr

Forum Member
Jul 28, 2007
I still like to think I'm in my prime, but I've also had to take time on the shelf because of a broken wrist as well as a torn tendon in my ankle. So yes, I kow what it's like with cardio when it comes to athletics. It takes "game experience" to get the rust and cardio back to normal. You can practice all you want, but you learn the most with the lights on...

You are right that Rashad had never been KO'd, but Rashad also had only been on the brightest stage one time, and that was against Chuck. Shogun is young but primed, and I'd like to think he's faced much more dangerous strikers...

What does betting you personally do for me? I'm supposed to expect someone over the internet to pay me? Yeah right, I've been stiffed in poker and bets on other sites before...

I do find it hilarious that one of the best fightes in the world is going to be "affraid" of Machida. Chute Boxe guys aren't afraid to fight anyone but themselves, you should know that.

It doesn't matter if Sokoudjou's was reversed in 5 minutes or 5 seconds, the fact is Sokoudjou, who sucks completely on the ground, took this "unbeatable" force to the ground. How do you think a guy with great takedowns is going to do?

i agree soko's groundgame is bad, but you seem to be of the misapprehension that the groundgame is a synonym for takedowns. as a judoka, soko was focused on throws, not the groundgame, so it's no surprise that he's brought that to mma. that said, i've already established that rua's takedowns are the type that could give machida problems.

Last edited: