Boxing 5/15 - 5/16

LordoftheLunch

Forum Member
Apr 12, 2009

Thanks Gost,

I was lucky again as I thought if the fight would be a dec. the Ital. should win due to better "support" of the judges, but as it could get very close I couldn?t resist the high quotes on a draw.

But after I read all the comments here maybe this fight shouldn?t have ended as a draw...

-> anyone the result of Ali? I really hope he could win the fight. :box2:

LordoftheLunch

Forum Member
Apr 12, 2009
RESULT:

SPLIT DECISION for VICTOR RAMIREZ

116-112
113-115
115-113

close sloppy fight....I scored it for Ramirez
Ismailov did a lot of holding
Ramirez is really slow and not very good
He will lose to anyone decent
but I thought he won 7 to 5 tonight

:scared

hmm I really hoped that ali could win but anyway this had been a very very nice weekend.

Congrats to all that got that fight right. :)

Last edited:

Zerwas

Forum Member
Jul 19, 2007
RESULT:

SPLIT DECISION for VICTOR RAMIREZ

116-112
113-115
115-113

close sloppy fight....I scored it for Ramirez
Ismailov did a lot of holding
Ramirez is really slow and not very good
He will lose to anyone decent
but I thought he won 7 to 5 tonight

hey ghost, did you watch the fight!?

Was he (Ramirez) out of shape?

Zerwas

Forum Member
Jul 19, 2007
@Lord, thats was a nice weekend!
:toast:

Apparently Ramirez isnt all that.
I was really impressed by his showing against Alexeev, but even though I dont know Ali, but such a close fight in his (Ramirez) backyard doesnt look like an impressive result.

Ghost Kid

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 23, 2008
hey ghost, did you watch the fight!?

Was he (Ramirez) out of shape?

More overconfident I think, Zerwas
he was dancing around a bit and letting the Russian score points
When Ramirez did throw seriously, he hurt the Russian a few times (badly once)
but Ismailov was tough and crafty....he did a lot of holding which frustrated the hometown boy Ramirez

No way the Russian was getting a decision over there
and truthfully, I thought Ramirez did enough to take it
He has a great chin and a big punch
but he is extremely slow and limited
He gets timed all the time and he misses with big off balance shots
I think Afolabi, Adamek, Huck, G Jones all beat this guy

Zerwas

Forum Member
Jul 19, 2007
thanks ghost kid:
Thats almost exactlay the same that some other posters said. He really looked like an animal against Alexeev!

Romi

Forum Member
Apr 6, 2007
Ramirez just won a split decision

congrats on the over Romi

Thx bro. I got in late from poker night and just watched the miranda/ward fight. I was actually somewhat impressed by Ward. I thought he took some chances. I would not have implored him to go for the ko (unless I had money on it :eek:) because pantera is always dangerous. Ward showed good movement, good hands, good D and very nice body work. I dont think his handlers could ask for any more. I don't disagree w/Kramden too often but I really like Ward over Froch. I think Froch will have a very difficult night on his hands.

Anywhos, I had a nice comeback after throwing my wad on the over on Johnson/vargas. I didnt get it all back (due to some fcking shenanigans in Italy) but I'm happy. It would have been a SWEET payout.The Ali play nearly payed off but as I said I would be happy with the over hitting and it did.

I have a BUNDLE on Floyd and still building it. Will probably be my biggest play on the yr by fight time.

Ghost Kid

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 23, 2008
Quick Weekend Review:

Friday was nuts - doggies hitting all around the world.
+700 Lisandro Diaz TKO Fabio Moli
+380 Franz Both SD Timo Hofffman
+500 Sam Sexton TKO Martin Rogan

even Ricardo Torres, who was -1500 in Colombia, was DESPERATELY close to losing. He needed a KO in the 10th after being down twice in the fight.

Miranda was pretty piss poor - he is becoming the Mayorga of the super-middles. Anyone who can box is gonna line up to fight him.
But Miranda only gave the second worst performance of the weekend in my mind. Devin Vargas made Kevin Johnson look like Joe Louis.

Vargas was pathetically out of shape, shot his wad in two rounds, and gotten beaten around the ring like a rag doll until the white towel came in.
KJ opened at -185(!) and was the straight bet of the weekend for smarts who grabbed him early. By fight time, he was -440. Correctly so. Also, KJ by KO was +330! In hindsight, that is amazing.

I'm gonna give fight of the weekend to Sexton and Rogan, although in all fairness I did not see all of Fragomeni and Wlodarcyzk. Those of us on the Pole were a bit unlucky. But luck goes two ways. Anyone who had Sexton, Botha, or Ramirez this weekend came VERY close to losing. I had Ramirez, and although I thought he won his fight in Argentina, I was sweating bullets until the cards were read.

I'm always bitching about the close losses, but I try to remind myself of the close wins, too. It goes both ways. The losses always sting more, of course. We all want to win every time. Naturally.

Regrets: I did pretty well this weekend, with my two large bets being Ward and Teron. But I have two small regrets. I regret playing Hoffman in parlays, because he had a history of gassing out and his chin was not reliable the last few years. I thought he had it in the bag after 10, but the old vet Botha pulled it out. Damn him.
But the number one regret I have is not playing Sexton. Evan and a few other solid players were all over this one, and I just didn't do my research here. No matter who won, Sexton at that price was the one and only play. Particularly with how limited Rogan is. Toughness only takes you so far.

Seems like everyone did pretty well this week. Good job fellas. It is pretty quiet next week, but still some fights Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

Cheers.

olddirtyfighter

Forum Member
Nov 14, 2008
Thanks Ghost. Good job as always.
I had Timo as well, bit no regrets. Graham did a great preview of the fight and I knew that there was a danger but ... we gad German fighter in the German ring who is much younger and much taller than his non German opponent. In 99% cases that is a winner but sadly not this time.

Ghost Kid

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 23, 2008
Here's another take on the Botha fight I didn't even consider at the time:
http://www.boxingnews24.com/2009/05/botha-defeats-hoffmann/

Witherspoon did get DQ'ed for this against Arreola -the cornermen are not allowed to enter the ring during the round. That's the rules.

That being said, the ref cheated like hell for Hoffman the last round.

But, since I was on Hoffman, and I thought he won the majority of the rounds AND Botha's people were in the ring - OUCH, that hurts. a STINGER.

:mad:

Bet on MyBookie