College Football buys for 2020

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Recap: Hit with G Southern in the first half of a TV teaser. Now, the next time I'm going to watch a game I have no system on I can adjust the side/total 6 pts in my favor.

Newbie Note - If you're betting a game just because it's on TV and you want a rooting interest - not because you have a system, trend, or numbers that you like - bet a smaller amount than your standard size wager. Unless you have a high W % on TV plays, then bet your normal unit amount.

(And how would you know what your record is on TV plays? KEEP A LOGBOOK OF YOUR PLAYS! You track a team's play before you make a bet, you track trends, you track posters you fade or follow - how does it NOT make sense to know your own play also? End of sermon.)

The "Jinx Factor" saved me a unit last night. After missing out on a winner in the second half play on La Tech Under, my gut feel told me to not jump on FAU Under 7', and it was the right move as they scored 10.

Play #1 took an L last night on FAU Over. The game qualified as an Under in the New Play, then dropped below the # needed and was taken off the list. A half hour before game time it went back to 53, making it qualify, but it went to 52' at most houses by game time, so it missed by a hook. Game went Under.
We have four possible plays in the scenario where Play #1 says take the Over, New Play says take the Un (2-0 for the New Play on these this season, 3-0 if you bought FAU at 53): La Laf/Tex SA, Ok St/Miami, Ark/TCU, Tex A&M/N Car.

I already bought La Laf at -14 as it fits one of my best Bowl systems.
AND . . . it's another Sun Belt vs Conf USA (How'd that work out for N Tex & La Tech?)
Buying the La Laf Un early, at 58, was a good move because it's down to 56 at some houses today.
Betting a double digit Fav and the Under in the same game is not a position I like to put myself in, but these are both strong plays, so I bought both.

Mia/Ok is dropping, 59 mostly gone, 58' is the common number found at most places.
I'm adding it today in case it continues to drop.

This next part gets a little deep, but if you like numbers and handicapping read on.
I gave you "ideal situation" numbers on the Nev game Over (32% Under vs 65% Over.)
To clarify, one set of numbers (Data Source A) said take the Under (and it has a W% of 32%)
while another system (Data Source B) said take the Over (and it's W % is 65%.)
So, which would you wager on, the 32% or 65%? Easy choice, right?

When you flip the losing stat of 32% on Unders you get a 68% play on Overs.
Like I said, an easy choice on which way to play.

Here are the same two set of numbers when Source A says take Over while Source B says Under:
40% vs 72%.
To clarify, Source A has a record of 27-39 when recommending the Over,
Source B is 32-12 when recommending the Under.

So, when Source A (40%) says take the Over in a game, and Source B (72%) says take the Under, it adds what I call an "ideal situation" to the other systems/plays I use to make decisions on what to buy.

To bring relevance to all that jazz - Source A says take La Laf Over, while Source B says take it Under.
The same with the Miami game.
Both those spots fit the New Play Under parameters.
They fit, "When Play #1 says take the Over but the New Play says take the Under, take the Under (2-0.)"
And they also fit what I call an ideal situation.

If anyone needs an aspirin after digesting all that, you'll find them in the medicine cabinet. Better take two.

I have nothing on today's game, or tomorrow's.

Merry Christmas to you and yours,
hope you spend the day surrounded by family and friends . . .

Buys:
Tulane/Nev Ov 57 W
LA Laf/Tex SA Un 58
La Laf -14
Ok St/Mia Un 58'

TV Buys:
Geo South -1 (w), 2 team tease, 11/10; 2nd game open

Last edited:

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Play #5: Second half adjustment on team total, 31-15, 67%, 12 years.

This spot is 0-1 this year (FAU last night.)

Hou Un 16 is a play.
Correction: Record keeping/info only.
I would buy this but can't get a play, none of my outs has it. I can't recommend a buy on something I don't buy myself, so I changed from a buy to info only.
I see 14' and 16 out there, but I lost my backup outlet, can't get either.

F'ing pussy books that are afraid to offer basic lines.
I miss 5dimes.
Anyone got a good out that offers 2nd half team totals?
Let me know, thanks.

Buys:
Tulane/Nev Ov 57 W
LA Laf/Tex SA Un 58
La Laf -14
Ok St/Mia Un 58'

TV Buys:

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Tkj - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too.

Recap: No plays on the last 2 games, had the correct handicap on Houston team total Under second half but missed out on a winning TV buy because I lost my backup out (a friend who had an account where I could do team totals second half, but he got wiped out on NBA.)

Does anybody have a good book that offers second-half totals?
I need one for the rest of the bowls and for the final week of the NFL where I have a strong system.

No additional buys yet for today.

Buys:
Tulane/Nev Ov 57 W
LA Laf/Tex SA Un 58
La Laf -14
Ok St/Mia Un 58'

TV Buys:

Last edited:

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Recap: Got a split on Saturday to close out a 3-1 week.
2-1 in regular buys, 1/2 W in TV buys (half a teaser, other half open.)

I was disappointed to lose with La Laf -14 as it got very high grades in my bowl systems, but the day was saved by the Under in the New Play. The early buy notice I sent out on Un 58 was a really good move as we got 3' pts better than the closing 54', a number that gave Under bettors a loss by a hook.

After W's with the Under in the BYU & La Laf Bowl games, the record on these is 25-4 on posted plays, 86%, with almost 30 spots shared here, 30-4 including the five spots charted before I saw it was worth sharing/playing. And already my mind is wondering, "I wonder if this play will work next season, too. Not at 86%, I have no illusion about that percentage duplicating, but what if it wins again at a solid clip of 60-65%? Or the Grail of 67%?"

I can't wait to find out. And I plan on posting them here again, so anyone interested will find out too.

I found this, I think, back in late November? It was 4-0 in my chart the week Geo South played Geo St, which made it 5-0, and that's when I decided to use it here. I wonder what the record would be if I'd had it for the full season? I can't find out, because I can't duplicate the data from the opening weeks. Too bad, it would be valuable info to have for the opening weeks next season.

We have 17 Bowl games left.
Some plays may be dropped or added based on line changes, but right now I have six Unders and one Over in the New System (Overs were 32-29 reg season, 1-0 in Bowls with the Nevada W.)

Here's how tomorrow looks:
The Ok St/Miami line will not change enough to make the play fall off the board, the differential is too great.
If Tex/Col drops from the current 64/63' to 62' or lower it will qualify as an Over.
My early buy on Mia Un 58' was not a good move, 59' is the common # now.

Of the six Unders, three are Overs in Play #1.
What do we do when Play #1 says Over but the New Play says Under? (1-0 this Bowl season, 2-0 if you bought the FAU game Un at 53.)

Bowl record:
2-1 Regular Buys

Buys:
Tulane/Nev Ov 57 (W)
LA Laf/Tex SA Un 58 (W)
La Laf -14 (L)
Ok St/Mia Un 58'

TV Buys:
Geo South -1 (w), 2 team tease, 11/10; San Jose St -3

Last edited:

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Update, 12/28: Moving late on this, should have had -1 to -2', but while there are still 9's all across the board I'm buying San Jose St for the second half of my open tease before it goes higher.

Update, 12/29:

From 12/24 - "When Source A (40%) says take the Over in a game, and Source B (72%) says take the Under, it adds what I call an "ideal situation" to the other systems/plays I use to make decisions on what to buy.
This fits the La Laf game and Miami game
."

La Laf won in this spot, which means the %'s are even more in my favor now, but with the common # now at 62 in the Miami game it no longer fits this ideal situational play.

Just an FYI to factor into your handicapping today: a quick glance at my logbook shows that when Favs go up 2 or > this Bowl season (App St, Buf, G. South, BYU) the Fav is 4-0 ATS, but when the Fav drops 2 or > (Hou, Tulane) they are 0-2. Both Ok & Tex have moved 3 pts lower than their opening #.

Buys:
Tulane/Nev Ov 57 (W)
LA Laf/Tex SA Un 58 (W)
La Laf -14 (L)
Ok St/Mia Un 58'

TV Buys:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Major error, and huge apology to anyone who wagered on La Laf with me.

In the post where I explain the bowl systems I use, and what makes a team qualify as a play, you'll see the category RO, meaning Rushing Offense (YPG.)

La Laf was posted as a fit for Play #2: Has a better # in all six categories, 15-10, 60%, (La Laff)
and
Play #6: Has a better # on all six categories AND also the better T/O #, 8-4, 67%, (La Laff)

I was updating my Bowl Log book this morning, adding red (for a loss) and green (for a win) check marks next to the categories. As La Laf lost ATS, I was putting in the red check marks when I saw this:
Category RO:
La Laf 208
Tex SA 214

La Laf did NOT have the better number in this category.
It did not fit Play #2 or #6.

I thought it was my highest graded play so I used it SU, in a rare-for-me 2 unit bet, and lost, and as the second game of a couple two team teasers I had open, which pushed but cost me because I wasn't able to capitalize on the first game winner I already had in my pocket.

An amateur mistake, and I paid for it because I didn't double check the numbers before placing any bets.
Again, sorry if anyone lost on it because of me.

Last edited:

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Recap: Lost with Under 58 on the OK St game. Looked bad after a 21 pt first quarter, looked okay at the half. Looked good at the end of the third quarter - had a 15 pt cushion, could give up 2 TD's and not get hurt, had a backup QB with Miami, and an Ok St team that was using the entire play clock before snapping. But . . .

Bowl Record:
2-2 Regular Buys

With the line drop in Fla due to disappearing wide receivers for the Gators, the game now qualifies as an Over in the New Play (32-29 reg season, 1-0 in Bowls.)

I want action on this one. I think Trask can hit anyone on the field, open or not, and the line drop is just icing on the cake (or gravy on the mashed, choose the metaphor of your choice.)
No sense buying now as the line is still dropping due to the reaction to the Gators who opted out.
Likely a TV action only buy, depending on the # I get.
I'll post it when I get it.

Update: 64' across the board now.
This is a full TD < the opener many could get at 71', which means there's a chance of a late buy back from middle players. Keeping an eye on this 64', if I see 65 start to show up, I'm grabbing a 64' before they're all gone. As of right now, waiting just a little longer to see if I can shake that hook off.

Update #2: 65 popping up, grabbed 64' for a TV/action rooting interest play

Buys:
Tulane/Nev Ov 57 (W)
LA Laf/Tex SA Un 58 (W)
La Laf -14 (L)
Ok St/Mia Un 58' (L)

TV Buys:
Fla/Ok Ov 64'

Last edited:

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Recap: Got a W with Fla/Ok Over.
I've seen players quit in Bowl games but yesterday was the first time I saw a coach quit.

Record: 2-2 reg buys
TV Buys: 1-0 with the second half of an open two team teaser going today, using San Jose St.

The New Play had a winner with the Over in Fla/Ok yesterday, Over 2-0 now, Unders 2-1.
Still open are Ov in Ohio St/Clemson, Un in Ball St/San Jose St, Cin/Georgia, N Dame/'Bama, NC/Tex A&M

Play #1 is 1-2, all Overs, only play left is Ov in NC/Tex A&M/NC.

The cancelled Ark game was going to be my buy today, using the New Play Under, still searching for a replacement. Ball St/ San Jose St fits New Play Under but who likes using a MAC team in an Under, and my tally has Overs in Bowls with an 8-6 edge, 5 in a row now.

Buys:
Tulane/Nev Ov 57 (W)
LA Laf/Tex SA Un 58 (W)
La Laf -14 (L)
Ok St/Mia Un 58' (L)

TV Buys:
Fla/Ok Ov 64' W

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Recap: Every year there's that one bowl that you couldn't be more wrong on, and your bet is a loser in the first quarter as a team gets slaughtered. That was my TV buy on San Jose State yesterday, even having them in a teaser couldn't save me.

Record:
2-2 Regular buys
2-2 TV buys

The New Play had a winner on San Jose St Under.
None of the bowl systems have been useful, combined record of 1-3.

Today, as the season winds down, I hope to have a couple of buys, starting with the play that's been my best performer, using the Under in Cin/Georgia.

Buys:
Tulane/Nev Ov 57 (W)
LA Laf/Tex SA Un 58 (W)
La Laf -14 (L)
Ok St/Mia Un 58' (L)
Clem/Ohio Ov 68

TV Buys:
Geo South -1/San Jose St -3 L
Fla/Ok Ov 64' W
Cin/Georgia Un 53
Clemson -7

Last edited:

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Recap: Hit 2 of 3, split the TV plays, hit the bigger play on Clem Ov.

The question I had coming into the bowl season was, "Will the New Play work as well as it did in the regular season?"

As good as it was in the regular season it was even better in the bowls. After yesterday's three winners, Overs are 3-0, Unders are 5-1 with one spot left open.
That's a combined 8-1.
Anybody using them?

Back with buys after I do some research.

Update: Got home much later than I thought I would after running some errands, wasn't monitoring scores. I see NC State one minute into the third quarter, would have qualified for a full system team total under in the second half. Missed it damn it, noting it for record-keeping purposes only.

Buys:
Tulane/Nev Ov 57 (W)
LA Laf/Tex SA Un 58 (W)
La Laf -14 (L)
Ok St/Mia Un 58' (L)
Clem/Ohio Ov 68 W

TV Buys:
Fla/Ok Ov 64' W
Cin/Georgia Un 53 W
Clemson -7 L

Last edited:

jng

Packer Fan
Forum Member
Nov 15, 2000
Recap: Hit 2 of 3, split the TV plays, hit the bigger play on Clem Ov.

The question I had coming into the bowl season was, "Will the New Play work as well as it did in the regular season?"

As good as it was in the regular season it was even better in the bowls. After yesterday's three winners, Overs are 3-0, Unders are 5-1 with one spot left open.
That's a combined 8-1.
Anybody using them?

Back with buys after I do some research.

Buys:
Tulane/Nev Ov 57 (W)
LA Laf/Tex SA Un 58 (W)
La Laf -14 (L)
Ok St/Mia Un 58' (L)
Clem/Ohio Ov 68 W

TV Buys:
Fla/Ok Ov 64' W
Cin/Georgia Un 53 W
Clemson -7 L

Using every single one. And winning.

And you really need to get that book out there.
Thanks!!
(Really great to read RBD and not have to think about the receptor binding domain.)
J

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
Thanks jng and Jamul, just want to make sure I wasn't talkin to myself.

Update: Doing my usual Saturday morning re-running the numbers, bad news, due to the line drop on the Texas A&M game because of the missing players on NC, it no longer qualifies as a New Play Under as it's now below 66. Sorry.
I already have it in my pocket, but it's not a buy recommendation.
Also, no additions, I was hoping at least one other game would qualify.

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
You're welcome, Coach. Thanks for the visits this season.

Hated to remove Tex A&M from the New Play Under, but the charts have to be accurate or they are useless.
If you bought the opening # when I posted all the plays that fit the profile, 69, you got a W. It stayed at that # until 12/25 at most houses, then started dropping, and by game day was no longer a play.
And if you bought it at the game day # you got an L, so I'm happy I updated it here to warn late buyers off of it.
Still, that Under had a helluva run, eh?

I had no buys on Jan 2, so this is where my season ends.
The championship game fits Play #1, Under (record of - I don't know, don't have my logbook with me, I'll update this later this week.)
The championship game does not fit the New Play Un unless the total rises 1' to 77.5, which is unlikely.

Reg season:
38-29

Bowls:
Reg plays 3-2
TV plays 2-2

It was a good season, a lot of fun a lot of profit.
As Mr. Townsend once said, "I got a feeling '21 is going to be a good year."

Last edited:

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
I just re-ran the #'s for tonight's game and nothing fits.
So the season ends for me.

I pointed out in my college hoops thread that since joining here in July I've started seven threads for picks/analysis:

MLB, NBA Bubble, College football, NFL, NBA current season, Kids Ball current season, Boxing.

I have a profit in six of the seven, the only loss was in the NBA Bubble.
And the best of the lot was college football, which confirms my history- college is my strongest sport from a handicapping point of view.
Know your strengths, and exploit them.
Know your weaknesses, and avoid them.

Hope I was able to help some newbies with 'capping tips and money management advice along the way.
It was a fun season.
Thanks again to all who contributed to the thread.

NEXT!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
Bet on MyBookie