NASCAR - The Brickyard 400 @ INDIANAPOLIS

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

sandwedge

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
the early returns don't look encouraging for hornaday. only 26th fastest in practice (wimmer 27th)

Myron

Forum Member
Oct 14, 2001
Hamilton, Ontario
Huck you got screwed with your Busch over Johnson bet. Busch would have easily won had he not spun. As it is you lost a matchup where Johnson had no business even being a part of.

Oh well, it's happened to me many times - that a driver tries too hard on his qualifying lap and spins, hits the wall or blows an engine. And the rules of the books clearly state that if the driver starts the qualifying lap then the bet is action. :mad:

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Myron, I was as shocked as anyone when I saw that wager graded as a PUSH. It clearly states in their rules (although they have not distinguished between qualifying and race matchups) that the driver "must complete a lap for action."

So while I totally disagree with it, (once you take the green in qualifying or race you should have action), I'll take it.

It was a nice start to the weekend though. But, no more odds to win the pole for me though.

Recap:
Matchups went 8-2-1 for +23.43 unit profit
Odds to Win went ohfer for -8 units.

I'm sticking by my original feeling and going w/ the 40 this week stronger than I usually play any driver. Let's see how HH looks for other possible contenders.

GLTA

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Doom....sorry, I missed your post.

I believe Q order is different at every track. Checking the weekly racing events will tell you when they are scheduled.

In addition, more tracks are more temperature sensitive than others.......this doesn't matter as much on shorter tracks. Also, the weather is the most important aspect to qualifying order.

If it cools down, then going out late is better than early. These were totally different circumstances this week with qualifying being on a different day and earlier than normal.

Dr. Doom

Forum Member
Jul 11, 2000
Huck,

Thanks for the explantion, and good work on the Q matchups.

Do you still like Busch now that he has to start from the back?

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Thanks Doom........answering your question on Busch is a tough one. He was headed for a top 10 qualifying spot before he spun out, and I'm sure he will be fast in both practices today.

However, Gordon came from 27th last year, and that was the furthest anyone has come from to win at Indy. With that, I think Busch can easily get himself up there, but it will be very difficult for him to pull off the win.

I'm looking for 30-1 or better, or I will leave him out tomorrow. I will definatley be looking to play him in matchups however.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Time for a little short track racin' at Indianapolis Raceway Park. The Busch Series drops the green flag in a little over a ? hour, and I made a few plays.

BUSCH MATCHUPS
92 T. Bodine ov 25 B. Hamilton, Jr. -105 3 units
26 R. Hornaday ov 23 S. Wimmer -130 3 units

Not much, but I hope to got 2-0 to make up for those win wagers that will be very tough to win from where they are starting.....maybe they can pull a Kurt Busch or Elliott Sadler and stay out on tires for 100 laps or so......

GLTA

sandwedge

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
ah the risk of betting before qualifying. hornaday is now 20-1, should have waited. of course if i had waited i would not bet on him given his showing so far.

if i could find kasey kahne as an individual wager at the 50-1 he would surely be(whick i can't) i would take a stab at it. he's looked decent and has alot of experience on this track in other series. as part of the field at 15 to 18-1 though he is a no go as no else in the field has any chance of winning imo.

l like kenny wallace at -130 over todd bodine for the kroger 200.

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Well guys, having watched HH didn't help all that much. With it being so late in the day, I really don't think the times mean anything. I still really believe that this is the 40 car's race to win, and all my eggs (at least all the profitable ones) will be with him tomorrow. I'm looking for more than I already have, and will end up with more units this week than normal.

However, there is still some value out there, and here is what I have played today.

99 J. Burton 30-1 1.5 units
18 B. Labonte 45-1 1 unit
8 D. Earnhardt, Jr. 15-1 2 units

Played earlier this week:
9 B. Elliott 30-1 1.5 units
12 R. Newman 20-1 1.5 units
40 S. Marlin 15-1 3 units

I doubt that I will have the pole sitter (Stewart), and am considering one or two more drivers at the right price, including Martin and Jarrett.

GLTA

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Myron

Forum Member
Oct 14, 2001
Hamilton, Ontario
Had Wimmer taken tires I think I would have won with my 25-1 bet on him :(.

BTW, Huck where did you bet that matchup that they graded it a push? The place I bet it graded it as a loss.

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Mryron, I placed that wager at Pinnacle. Now that I know (I should have checked in the past) that a driver must complete one lap for action, I have to think about playing there as much.

That is an idiotic rule as far as I'm concerned. If you start the race, (take the green flag) the you should have action no matter what happens.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Played another matchup.

MATCHUPS
32 Craven ov 22 W. Burton -115 5 units - Solid runs in the past here w/ the 32 (Even Scott Pruett managed a top 10), and Craven really liked his car yesterday.

Earlier:
29 Harvick ov 12 Newman +133 3 units

Busch race recap:
Quite uneventful, although Wimmer gave us a shot there finishing 3rd. That would have been nice that's for sure. Got real lucky in matchups to scrape out 1-1 when Hamilton, Jr. hit the wall late in the race.
-3.15 units on the race.

Ticker

Forum Member
Nov 28, 1999
Archdale, N.C. USA
Huck, It's a pretty standard rule for F-1 and a lot of books(mainly British origin) have not adapted to NASCAR. This 1 lap rule was changed a season or two ago at books offering NASCAR at the time, but, some jumping on the band wagon may miss it. Most have not written ANY rules on Qual. as they only react when a situation comes up. (Believe JR. crashed on 1st lap and it was graded a push at many.) Another F-1 rule that has not been changed at some books is grading as push if both in a match-up crash on the same lap. They didn't use official Nascar results.:confused: GLTA, Ticker

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Win set is wrapped up:

ODDS TO WIN
9 B. Elliott 30-1 1.5 units
12 R. Newman 20-1 1.5 units
40 S. Marlin 13-1 5 units - added 2 units at 10-1
99 J. Burton 30-1 1.5 units
18 B. Labonte 45-1 1 unit
8 D. Earnhardt, Jr. 15-1 2 units
88 D. Jarrett +1000 2 units
14.5 units in. It's all about the 40 car for me today.

GLTA

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Yeah Ticker.....I could undertand the Euro books not changing it, but Pinnacle? I was very surprised.

Matchup time: I'm having a tough time finding what I want in matchups this weekend, that's why I'm not posting all at once.

MATCHUPS
24 Gordon ov 88 Jarrett +135 3 units - On principle alone. 24 should never be +135 at any time at any track against anyone.

Earlier:
32 Craven ov 22 W. Burton -115 5 units

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
One more:

MATCHUPS
24 Gordon ov 17 Kenseth +105 3 units

Earlier:
24 Gordon ov 88 Jarrett +135 3 units

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
And one more:

MATCHUPS
8 Earnhardt, Jr. ov 20 Stewart +141 3 units

Earlier:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
GL Chucky and everyone! Let's have a great and safe race!

I'm so tempted to play more matchups as there are some crazy prices out there on good solid drivers, but I've only added only a couple more and I'm sticking with that.

MATCHUPS
88 Jarrett ov 20 Stewart +115 3 units
26 T. Bodine ov 36 Schrader -115 4 units

Earlier:
8 Earnhardt, Jr. ov 20 Stewart +141 3 units

This race is basically going to come down to a late pit stop and whether or not someone takes tires or two tires or no tires. When there are so many good cars out there, it makes it tough to play a lot of matchups that involve the top guys unless it's at a decent price.

Let's hope it all works out.