• Against Gay Marraige

Votes: 53 72.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
The spirit in which benefits emerged was to ease the burden of raising a family. Of course there are exceptions to every rule and if some wackos want to take it to the limit we probably could spend millions of dollars investigating sterile couples and old folks but if we show some common sense, which I know some of you find hard to do, we should just take the easy road and allow gays to marry, if they want to fulfil their love for each other, but they should not recieve benefits.

ryson

Capitalist
Forum Member
Dec 22, 2001
IAH
sucks6.jpg

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
May 26, 2002
Canada
umm...Dr. Freeze........good to see ya buddy :D

you astound me monthly at how moronic your comments are!

and big Joe.....I never said "little johnson"

bear

Forum Member
Jan 17, 2000
Fairfield, CT., USA
Well said....Dr. freeze.........

Well said....Dr. freeze.........

Oh.......and that Marriage is a legal concept....a civil contract ??
Much more than that to most....I would guess. Especially to those who are successful in their long term marital relationships.

"a legal concept that has evolved over time"
I guess our ideas (legal that is) have evolved from English common law. Marriage as a sacrament (roots in the Old Testament) belongs to an entirely different order than the mere union if a man and a woman through a civil contract. It is NOT just a pious extra added to the marriage contract.....

Uh...there are volumes on the subject...outside the 'Legal" interpretations....

Now, Eddie Haskell..........

Are you really astounded by how "stupid" people are?
Did you really "address the idiots in order of stupidity?"
:thefinger

bear

ozball

Forum Member
Dec 6, 2000
Alberta, Canada
Anyone else see any irony in the strident Bible-thumping God-fearin' Baptist-like opinions that are regularly expounded here in a Gambling Forum?? :shrug:

ozball

dr. freeze

BIG12 KING
Forum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Mansion
ozball said:
Anyone else see any irony in the strident Bible-thumping God-fearin' Baptist-like opinions that are regularly expounded here in a Gambling Forum?? :shrug:

ozball

obviously it would only be ironic to those who are ignorant and think the Bible mentions gambling

ChrryBlstr

Forum Member
Feb 11, 2002
Hoosier country
dr. freeze says....

obviously it would only be ironic to those who are ignorant and think the Bible mentions gambling

actually....tonnes of gambling references in the Christian bible....hmmmmmmmmm....maybe not so ignorant!!!

once again....school pays off....humanities and world religion....wooohoooo....who woulda thunk it?!!!

Does the bible condemn gambling? Yes

Proverbs 28:22
He that hasteth to be rich hath an evil eye, and considereth not that poverty shall come upon him.

John 19:23-24
Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took his garments ... and also his coat: now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout. They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.
(Since the Roman soldiers were bad guys and they gambled for the robe of Jesus, gambling must be bad.)

Does the bible condemn gambling? No

Numbers 26:52-56
And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying ... the land shall be divided by lot.

Joshua 14:2
By lot was their inheritance, as the LORD commanded by the hand of Moses.

Joshua 18:6
Ye shall therefore describe the land into seven parts, and bring the description hither to me, that I may cast lots for you here before the LORD our God.

Joshua 19:51
These are the inheritances, which Eleazar the priest, and Joshua the son of Nun, and the heads of the fathers of the tribes of the children of Israel, divided for an inheritance by lot in Shiloh before the LORD.

Joshua 21:8
And the children of Israel gave by lot unto the Levites these cities with their suburbs, as the LORD commanded by the hand of Moses.

1 Chr.26:13-14
And they cast lots, as well the small as the great, according to the house of their fathers, for every gate. And the lot eastward fell to Shelemiah. Then for Zechariah his son, a wise counsellor, they cast lots; and his lot came out northward.

Nehemiah 10:34
And we cast the lots among the priests, the Levites, and the people, for the wood offering, to bring it into the house of our God.

Acts 1:23-26
And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen.... And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

:)

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
May 26, 2002
Canada
don't even bother trying to explain CherryB....the sky isn't even blue in Dr. Freeze's world :rolleyes:

although........good job with the explanation :)

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
I quess we can debate till doomsday. As I said many times its a shame we can't build a wall and put the liberals on one side and let them live with their convictions and the conservatives on the other to live by theirs. The undisputeble fact is one would thrive and the other would be chaos.
Lets see--we could cut aids spending 90%-wouldn't have but a few pedaphiles as the would go where ACLU would defend them,
welfare spending would be cut 75%,few illegal immigrants,we have most the farmers,the military,big business ect Sheez Utopia!

Now explain your merits if you find any.

--and Ed,your quote
"Like I said, marriage is a legal concept. Let the law define societys parameters and religion decide spirtual parameters"

You have given me 2 versions on legal concept ,would you mind giving me your legal reference so I can interpret on my own. You see I believe in law setting parameters but have problem letting lawyers set them.
I also find it quite amzing that you tout there is no correlation between law and religion as several high courts have prayer before every session and last time I saw they still put anyone that testifies under oath( granted there are some that will lie under oath just the same)--so save your spin for those as I've told you before,that look to a judgement or lottery ticket as the American Dream.

dr. freeze

BIG12 KING
Forum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Mansion
most people consider gambling as risking something to win something....

casting lots has nothign to do wtih that....

i guess by your definition every coin flip before a football game would be gambling :rolleyes:

greed IS mentioned yes, and does greed have some component in gambling? for some people most likely....but greed has its seed in all of us virtually every day...

ChrryBlstr

Forum Member
Feb 11, 2002
Hoosier country
freezie:

actually....casting lots....in this particular discourse alludes to a lottery!!!

here's a definition....

Gambling is defined by Webster's Collegiate Dictionary as "to play or game for money or other stake; to hazard; wager."

"but greed has its seed in all of us virtually every day..."

i would like to believe that i am an exception to this rule!!!

alright....off to do more volunteer work....*L*

:)

dr. freeze

BIG12 KING
Forum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Mansion
okay then my reference to gambling meant to risk something to win something...pretty much a modern day reference....most of our lottery's are not free

Biblically, then, this kind of wagering is not mentioned in the Bible.

this free lottery, which seems to be done for inheritance and whatever reasons, which emany families have done throughout time -- obviously is allowable in the Bible --

the reference to the soldiers casting lots for Jesus' clothes, makes no mention -- correct me if i am wrong -- if they are sinning in doing so....and if they were sinning, it would be done out of mockery of Jesus...which certainly could be the case....and not many Chrisitians would say mocking Jesus isn't wrong...

but most of us don't mock our Savior when we gamble...although i am guilty of doing so in other aspects of my life....as we all are

anyway, gambling is not prohibited by the Bible, and some Christians do get on their high horse as they do on other things...but hey none of them proclaim to be perfect as none of us proclaim to be....

seymour

Forum Member
Jul 12, 2002
Like I said previosly, if you sit around and are so worried what some fruits are doing with their lives - well then, your life must be pretty damn pathetic. I've always wondered if some day my life will become so lame that I worry frantically all day about what others are doing in their bedroom or with their lives.

KMA

Forum Member
May 25, 2003
dr. freeze says....

actually....tonnes of gambling references in the Christian bible....hmmmmmmmmm....maybe not so ignorant!!!

once again....school pays off....humanities and world religion....wooohoooo....who woulda thunk it?!!!

Does the bible condemn gambling? Yes

He that hasteth to be rich hath an evil eye, and considereth not that poverty shall come upon him.

John 19:23-24
Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took his garments ... and also his coat: now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout. They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.
(Since the Roman soldiers were bad guys and they gambled for the robe of Jesus, gambling must be bad.)

Does the bible condemn gambling? No

Numbers 26:52-56
And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying ... the land shall be divided by lot.

Joshua 14:2
By lot was their inheritance, as the LORD commanded by the hand of Moses.

Joshua 18:6
Ye shall therefore describe the land into seven parts, and bring the description hither to me, that I may cast lots for you here before the LORD our God.

Joshua 19:51
These are the inheritances, which Eleazar the priest, and Joshua the son of Nun, and the heads of the fathers of the tribes of the children of Israel, divided for an inheritance by lot in Shiloh before the LORD.

Joshua 21:8
And the children of Israel gave by lot unto the Levites these cities with their suburbs, as the LORD commanded by the hand of Moses.

1 Chr.26:13-14
And they cast lots, as well the small as the great, according to the house of their fathers, for every gate. And the lot eastward fell to Shelemiah. Then for Zechariah his son, a wise counsellor, they cast lots; and his lot came out northward.

Nehemiah 10:34
And we cast the lots among the priests, the Levites, and the people, for the wood offering, to bring it into the house of our God.

Acts 1:23-26
And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen.... And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

I believe you are looking for something that isn't there, and also what I read in these passages are not gambling references, but references to things being distributed. Lot meaning the portion this or that person recieved, whether by inheritance or by stealing that is how it reads to me. Not gambling
smile.

I don't believe this is referring to specifically gambling, do you?? *LOL*

Your first two examples DO NOT condemn gambling:

I suggest you look at the NIV translation of Proverbs 28:22:

A stingy man is eager to get rich
and is unaware that poverty awaits him.

The second one shows the fulfillment of prophecy:

Psalm 22
1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me,
so far from the words of my groaning?
2 O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
by night, and am not silent.

3 Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One;
you are the praise of Israel. [1]
4 In you our fathers put their trust;
they trusted and you delivered them.
5 They cried to you and were saved;
in you they trusted and were not disappointed.

6 But I am a worm and not a man,
scorned by men and despised by the people.
7 All who see me mock me;
they hurl insults, shaking their heads:
8 "He trusts in the LORD ;
let the LORD rescue him.
Let him deliver him,
since he delights in him."

9 Yet you brought me out of the womb;
you made me trust in you
even at my mother's breast.
10 From birth I was cast upon you;
from my mother's womb you have been my God.
11 Do not be far from me,
for trouble is near
and there is no one to help.

12 Many bulls surround me;
strong bulls of Bashan encircle me.
13 Roaring lions tearing their prey
open their mouths wide against me.
14 I am poured out like water,
and all my bones are out of joint.
My heart has turned to wax;
it has melted away within me.
15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd,
and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;
you lay me [2] in the dust of death.
16 Dogs have surrounded me;
a band of evil men has encircled me,
they have pierced [3] my hands and my feet.
17 I can count all my bones;
people stare and gloat over me.
18 They divide my garments among them
and cast lots for my clothing.

19 But you, O LORD , be not far off;
O my Strength, come quickly to help me.
20 Deliver my life from the sword,
my precious life from the power of the dogs.
21 Rescue me from the mouth of the lions;
save [4] me from the horns of the wild oxen.

22 I will declare your name to my brothers;
in the congregation I will praise you.
23 You who fear the LORD , praise him!
All you descendants of Jacob, honor him!
Revere him, all you descendants of Israel!
24 For he has not despised or disdained
the suffering of the afflicted one;
he has not hidden his face from him
but has listened to his cry for help.

25 From you comes the theme of my praise in the great assembly;
before those who fear you [5] will I fulfill my vows.
26 The poor will eat and be satisfied;
they who seek the LORD will praise him-
may your hearts live forever!
27 All the ends of the earth
will remember and turn to the LORD ,
and all the families of the nations
will bow down before him,
28 for dominion belongs to the LORD
and he rules over the nations.

29 All the rich of the earth will feast and worship;
all who go down to the dust will kneel before him-
those who cannot keep themselves alive.
30 Posterity will serve him;
future generations will be told about the Lord.
31 They will proclaim his righteousness
to a people yet unborn-
for he has done it.

In your cases for gambling you have focused on "casting lots" This is not gambling, but is a method of dividing work, goods, duties, or other things in a way that no one had an advantage. Only chance, or G-d, would determine the outcome.

Nice try though. Keep reading, you'll get there.
The only thing worse than a person who thinks they know the bible is the one who doesn't understand yet acts as if he does.

*LMAO*

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
Is betting a world class sprinter will beat a 400 lb entrant in a 100 yard dash gambling,or a surething?
Is catching middles on lines gambling or investing?
Is buying a stock gambling?

:shrug:

Bet on MyBookie