MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
That awesome, B and I are going to CR Sept 16th for 10 days. Not sure where we are staying yet, but we certainly want to meet up with you guys and Pug:0008

Meeting up is definitely going to happen. And you will have to check out this area, Atenas, too. Escazu is the same rat race as the states and I already know I don't want to live there. Escazu, San Jose, no thanks, I'll go there once a month to shop. This town has a population of about 25,000, lots of expats and nearly perfect weather. I think the beaches are too hot for me but I'll be checking them out too.

Betone

Forum Member
Aug 24, 2004
Monument, CO
Meeting up is definitely going to happen. And you will have to check out this area, Atenas, too. Escazu is the same rat race as the states and I already know I don't want to live there. Escazu, San Jose, no thanks, I'll go there once a month to shop. This town has a population of about 25,000, lots of expats and nearly perfect weather. I think the beaches are too hot for me but I'll be checking them out too.

We are not beach people either, the mountains and smaller towns are more to our liking. Shoot me a text in a few days and let me know the exact area your house is located and we may find a place close in proximity. Sounds awesome Jack, and I imagine if you want to go to the beach you can always go for a weekend or couple of days and then head back to the mountains:0008

pug

Forum Member
Jun 11, 2004
Jaco, Costa Rica
It is definitely not a place to go and live cheap. I imagine it can be done but it can be done in the states too. Some things are cheaper but I'm thinking most things are more expensive. Cars are like triple.

Overall I'd say it's a little cheaper here than in the US but not by a lot. Our expenses are minuscule as compared to what they were in the states. However, it all depends on lifestyle choices.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

pug

Forum Member
Jun 11, 2004
Jaco, Costa Rica

You guys that like the colder weather also need to check out Grecia. It's a bit cooler than Atenas and still close to San Jose and is another expat town.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Wineguy

Forum Member
Feb 7, 2000
Atlanta, GA
We are not beach people either, the mountains and smaller towns are more to our liking. Shoot me a text in a few days and let me know the exact area your house is located and we may find a place close in proximity. Sounds awesome Jack, and I imagine if you want to go to the beach you can always go for a weekend or couple of days and then head back to the mountains:0008

This. I want to get down with Angela also. Never been there.

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Overall I'd say it's a little cheaper here than in the US but not by a lot. Our expenses are minuscule as compared to what they were in the states. However, it all depends on lifestyle choices.
Exactly. I have to learn where to buy things too. I went to a market a couple days ago and paid 8000 colones for a 6 pack of Imperial. Is that about right or did I pay a gringo price? Budweiser was 8800 I believe.

In a bar I paid 1800 for Imperial but a whole pizza was 1500. A damn good pizza too.

The motel I was staying at was charging me 6000 colones for a double Stoli on the rocks. I had 4 of those not knowing the price. :lol:

pug

Forum Member
Jun 11, 2004
Jaco, Costa Rica
Exactly. I have to learn where to buy things too. I went to a market a couple days ago and paid 8000 colones for a 6 pack of Imperial. Is that about right or did I pay a gringo price? Budweiser was 8800 I believe.

In a bar I paid 1800 for Imperial but a whole pizza was 1500. A damn good pizza too.

The motel I was staying at was charging me 6000 colones for a double Stoli on the rocks. I had 4 of those not knowing the price. :lol:

That's a lot for Imperial. That's like $2.50 a beer when you should be paying 1/2 that. Alcohol prices vary wildly!
Once you are here awhile you will figure out where to get all the good deals.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Sportsaholic

Jack's Mentor
Forum Member
Jan 18, 2000
Crustacean Nation
198ca71e683022a550090632f364701a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found the cat.........:0074

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

homedog

I'm trite!
Forum Member
Jan 5, 2002

What about medical care quality and price?

pug

Forum Member
Jun 11, 2004
Jaco, Costa Rica
What about medical care quality and price?

Medical care here is ranked one spot higher than the US in last years rankings. It's also very cheap, maybe 20-30% of US costs. if you want to get private medical insurance it's approximately $100 or so per month. There is also the national run healthcare system that you must pay into if you are a resident (you don't have to be a resident to live here). The national health care system covers 100% of everything but if you need surgery, you may be waiting a long time to get it. It is very cheap though. we only pay $70 a month for the national health care for our entire household. Most of the good hospitals are located around San Jose. We have a small hospital here with a helicopter to take you to San Jose in an emergency. A lot of doctor visits here aren't needed because you can buy virtually any drug you want at the pharmacy without a prescription. Costa Rica has become a real hotbed for plastic surgery and dental care "vacations" due to the excellent care and cheap prices.

Here are the rankings: Costa Rica 36th, US 37th. http://thepatientfactor.com/canadia...zations-ranking-of-the-worlds-health-systems/

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Medical care here is ranked one spot higher than the US in last years rankings. It's also very cheap, maybe 20-30% of US costs. if you want to get private medical insurance it's approximately $100 or so per month. There is also the national run healthcare system that you must pay into if you are a resident (you don't have to be a resident to live here). The national health care system covers 100% of everything but if you need surgery, you may be waiting a long time to get it. It is very cheap though. we only pay $70 a month for the national health care for our entire household. Most of the good hospitals are located around San Jose. We have a small hospital here with a helicopter to take you to San Jose in an emergency. A lot of doctor visits here aren't needed because you can buy virtually any drug you want at the pharmacy without a prescription. Costa Rica has become a real hotbed for plastic surgery and dental care "vacations" due to the excellent care and cheap prices.

Here are the rankings: Costa Rica 36th, US 37th. http://thepatientfactor.com/canadia...zations-ranking-of-the-worlds-health-systems/

That alone is worth a lot to me. I'm going to be paying $1400 a month next year for just me and my wife.

yyz

Under .500
Forum Member
Mar 16, 2000
On the course!

A gal I used to work with flies down there every year for dental work. She's got fake cans, too.....so maybe she got those there? She plans on retiring in Panama.