The Great Teacher Exodus From Wisconsin Has Begun

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Chad - they've shown (as I posted above) that pay does not equate to children's performance.

All those teachers who are quitting - I guess it isn't about the kids for them, is it?

It's all about where you are coming from, isn't it? If you are a teacher, it sucks, and if you are a taxpayer, it is a good thing.

This is a priceless comment from someone who is truly only concerned with certain things like taxation, supporting businesses that can support your personal endeavor, and a truly conservative ideology.

Pay does not equate to children's performance. Granted. In most cases in our country, pay does not equal performance. Seniority is usually a big part of most companies - whether they are union or not. You know that - I assume. But you would never admit that at this point.

Those teachers that are quitting - I don't know what each one of them are quitting for. I'm sure they all have their reasons. Some on your side, some on mine. But what I do know is that there are a lot of teachers that are now quitting BECAUSE of this, and the students of your state who were the beneficiaries of one of the very finest education performances in the country will no longer have access to many of the teachers that put your state on top. NOW measured by the same measuring stick that most other lesser performing states were measured by. But I am quite sure you could not care less about that reality.

Care to wager how your state will perform moving forward? I will definitely wager you - if you care. I'll bet your state won't stay where it is - starting next year in the same measurements. Care to wager? I already know how little you think of new teacher education produced teachers. Low achievers, I believe you believe - or at least you felt worthy of making that a point, compared to others who wanted to go HIGHER in life and of course make more money (which you WON'T admit).

Two more things. First of all - teachers ARE taxpayers. Funny how you try to gloss past that. Guessing those taxpayers think education is a pretty important thing - personally, professionally, and as a participant of a progressive, sensible world. Second, I'm sure that most of the teachers who are "quitting" are suffering because of that decision, because they love what they do BECAUSE of what they do. Because of the personal interaction and how they have made lives so much better for so many people in their career. MUCH unlike MOST professions, such as, say, Consultants, or agents, or people who work in places where they ONLY have to consider their own lot in life every day. And not how they affect the lives of thousands of people every day, DIRECTLY.

That's enough for now. Yes... you are right about one thing. This discussion is definitely now about me in many respects. AND about the thousands of children in the future that I hope to help in a positive way along their path to being positive influences on the world long after I'm gone. I've worked in multiple jobs in my life that have paid me a helluva lot more money than I'll EVER make in teaching. And I could probably find another job if I tried hard enough now that would produce the same for me. So, I think I know what this conversation is really about.

I wonder how many people who rip teachers here and elsewhere can claim that ideology in their employment and daily lives. To those who can - I salute you. To the others... I don't think trying to convince you of anything will really matter all that much.

Cheers.

Duff Miver

Forum Member
Jul 29, 2009
Right behind you
Nice post, Chad, however there are none so blind as those who will not see, none so deaf as those who will not hear.

Ideology based intentional ignorance is difficult to overcome. Just witness those who claim that evolution is an unproven theory, or that prayer will bring rain.

Skulnik

Truth Teller
Forum Member
Mar 30, 2007
Jefferson City, Missouri
I sure hope Chadman is working in a GHETTO school, he will surely make a difference with his LIBERAL thinking, I see a made for TV movie in his future.

I'm sure that Liberal Chadman didn't take a TEACHING JOB at a LILLY WHITE school.

:shrug:

jmo

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Mags

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2000
This is a priceless comment from someone who is truly only concerned with certain things like taxation, supporting businesses that can support your personal endeavor, and a truly conservative ideology.

Pay does not equate to children's performance. Granted. In most cases in our country, pay does not equal performance. Seniority is usually a big part of most companies - whether they are union or not. You know that - I assume. But you would never admit that at this point.

Those teachers that are quitting - I don't know what each one of them are quitting for. I'm sure they all have their reasons. Some on your side, some on mine. But what I do know is that there are a lot of teachers that are now quitting BECAUSE of this, and the students of your state who were the beneficiaries of one of the very finest education performances in the country will no longer have access to many of the teachers that put your state on top. NOW measured by the same measuring stick that most other lesser performing states were measured by. But I am quite sure you could not care less about that reality.

Care to wager how your state will perform moving forward? I will definitely wager you - if you care. I'll bet your state won't stay where it is - starting next year in the same measurements. Care to wager? I already know how little you think of new teacher education produced teachers. Low achievers, I believe you believe - or at least you felt worthy of making that a point, compared to others who wanted to go HIGHER in life and of course make more money (which you WON'T admit).

Two more things. First of all - teachers ARE taxpayers. Funny how you try to gloss past that. Guessing those taxpayers think education is a pretty important thing - personally, professionally, and as a participant of a progressive, sensible world. Second, I'm sure that most of the teachers who are "quitting" are suffering because of that decision, because they love what they do BECAUSE of what they do. Because of the personal interaction and how they have made lives so much better for so many people in their career. MUCH unlike MOST professions, such as, say, Consultants, or agents, or people who work in places where they ONLY have to consider their own lot in life every day. And not how they affect the lives of thousands of people every day, DIRECTLY.

That's enough for now. Yes... you are right about one thing. This discussion is definitely now about me in many respects. AND about the thousands of children in the future that I hope to help in a positive way along their path to being positive influences on the world long after I'm gone. I've worked in multiple jobs in my life that have paid me a helluva lot more money than I'll EVER make in teaching. And I could probably find another job if I tried hard enough now that would produce the same for me. So, I think I know what this conversation is really about.

I wonder how many people who rip teachers here and elsewhere can claim that ideology in their employment and daily lives. To those who can - I salute you. To the others... I don't think trying to convince you of anything will really matter all that much.

Cheers.

Chad - honestly, I have nothing against teachers. I am totally against, however, unionized teachers.

I do believe the best teachers should make whatever the market values them at. However, the current system does not allow for that. Until we make drastic changes in our education system, we will not see improvement from the dire performances of our children overall, especially when compared to other countries. It is appalling how dumb our kids are today in the math and sciences fields. Truly dumb. Most kids couldn't even make change from a $20 bill without a cash register telling them how much to give back (and Duff also falls into this category, unfortunately).

So, here's my idea to fix the system (and I actually think you may like this):

1. Give every schooll age child in the state a voucher equalling the average amount it costs currently to educate a child in the state.

2. Let every student choose whichever school they want to attend - within some reasonable geographic boundaries to ensure travel to school is possible.

3. Completely eliminate the unions and the union pay scale. Allow schools to set their own prices for tuition (which the voucher would apply to).

4. Every teacher is a "free agent" - not unlike any other worker in the private work force. They are free to work wherever they want, and the highest salary that they can attain. They can choose to take less to work in the suburbs if they want. Full choice for the teachers too. And the best teachers (and it is EASY to tell a good teacher from a bad one) will command the highest salaries and competition will be fierce for them, as individual schools jockey for the best teaching staff it can assemble.

5. Schools can then adjust their tuition prices based on the costs that these salaries add to their tuition. We'd probably need a salary cap overall, to ensure that not all the best teachers went to the same school, thereby pricing it out of many potential students budgets.

6. Parents would then have a choice of where to send their children, and could decide if they want to pay a bit extra for the very best, stay at an average school, or actually get some cash back to send their children to a below average school. Again, free market, their choice.

The other advantage, and this is a huge one, we would upgrade the talent pool of teachers significantly.

High achieving college students, which the teaching profession rarely gets now, may be drawn to teaching if they know that their hard work would be attributed directly to them, and that they can grow in both their career and salary. Since they can make as much as the market would pay (and I'm convinced that the best teachers would be in high demand), this could become a competitive, enriching career for folks - which it is now, but it certaintly is not on the compensation side, as bad teachers make the same as good ones (with the same education and years of service).

It is clear that unions have held back our education system way too long and has hurt our childrens development.

It's not the teachers fault - and I'm not anti-teacher as I said earlier - I have a number of them in my family. And they agree that the union does hold back education, and would love to go to a free market system (we discuss often). In fact, all 3 of them did not choose to continue with the current teachers union. At least in our area, the union will be going away - which is a great thing.

What I am against, wholeheartedly, is UNION teachers. The key word is union. Their antiquated ways of evaluating and paying teachers has diminished the talent level overall in the teacher pool and it shows in our kids - they just aren't as smart as kids from other countries.

Mags

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2000
I sure hope Chadman is working in a GHETTO school, he will surely make a difference with his LIBERAL thinking, I see a made for TV movie in his future.

I'm sure that Liberal Chadman didn't take a TEACHING JOB at a LILLY WHITE school.

jmo

Skul - I can't agree with you here. Many of the liberal posters here I pretty much ignore, but Chad's posts I read every time.

While I realize he is liberal, he does present his points in a logical, non offensive, manner - and I'll admit I do learn things from his posts or see things in a bit different manner after reading them.

Which, of course, helps lead me to believe that Chad will be one of the good teachers.

A

azbob

For an unbiased view of the current state of education watch "Waiting for Superman." (a documentary)

The title of this thread should be "The Mediocre Teacher Exodus From Wisconsin" as it is about time some of the dead weight left since you can't fire a bad teacher. You probably will lose a few good ones too but, it's time for teachers to stop whining about the job they chose.

Isn't it great that this debate is happening in Wisconsin which USED TO BE one of the most liberal states in the nation. Wisky was the first state to pass collective bargining for teachers and now they are a battle ground. The future is bright.

Mag's ideas above would go a long way toward reversing the bad teacher trend. Vouchers and charter schools work. Unfortunately the lack of grammar, cohesive thought and inability to express one's self without profanity, as displayed in most of these threads, is probably the result of our public school system althought, to be fair, many of these posters probably didn't make it for the full twelve years.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Skulnik

Truth Teller
Forum Member
Mar 30, 2007
Jefferson City, Missouri
Skul - I can't agree with you here. Many of the liberal posters here I pretty much ignore, but Chad's posts I read every time.

While I realize he is liberal, he does present his points in a logical, non offensive, manner - and I'll admit I do learn things from his posts or see things in a bit different manner after reading them.

Which, of course, helps lead me to believe that Chad will be one of the good teachers.

Mags, I agree that Chad is probably a good man, I just think Talk is cheap from the Liberal point of view. I hope he doesn't try to push his LIBERAL VIEWS in class.

JMHO

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
Bob, you sound like you must be the product of an all boys private boarding school....maybe from switzerland?

bleedingpurple

Forum Member
Mar 23, 2008
Where it is real F ing COLD
I really can't blame teachers for kids being terrible at math. I will blame most of that on technology and parents. Unfortunately many kids don't get math. Tried to teach a 19 year old Going to a votech basic math like fractions, decimals and really easy stuff, no amount of teaching could help her. I had to give up, cant imagine what a teacher goes through. The reason why these kids are dumber comes from the home IMO. You have a kid that doesn't know what three fourths is then you better do something about it.
Kids do no have to use the math skills like before with computers doing the work for you. Parenting has changed over the years and I think a lot of problem arise from that.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Sadly, I had to endure another one of Skulnik's offensive, bullshit posts due to it being quoted - this time directed at me and some kind of convoluted race/liberal ASSessment based on zero intelligence on the subject.

Skulnik, what level of education did you achieve? Do you have children? What is your job? I don't believe I've ever seen anything from you about this - I would be curious to know since you are so free with your ANALogies about others. Maybe you'll share, maybe you won't. Guessing these questions might not be things you'd want to explain, but maybe they would be. If you do, maybe someone will quote you and I'll see, otherwise I won't. Trust me - I have better things to do with my time than "peek" at your inane posts, as you seem to dream about repeatedly here.

To your comment here, this is my response: What I do know is that you could give a lesser shit about any ghetto schools - that is obvious. There is a big part of me that would relish the opportunity to tackle an inner city school that does suffer from many of societies ills, a lack of quality teachers, a lack of equipment and financial support from state, federal, community and especially parents. Not from a liberal perspective, but from the perspective that it would be a challenge and I'd hope that my efforts could result in helping some kids that might not ever get real help. There aren't any schools like that within an hour of where I live, and I don't really want to drive 2/3 hours a day in addition to teaching and coaching for another 10 or so each day which is what the usual teaching day will be for me (I hope). Especially with gas prices what they are and probably will be. There are some more rural schools that suffer from many of those same problems that might be an option for me. Hopefully I will have some options - both teaching and coaching.

I would take a job at most any school that I thought would be rewarding for me from many different reasons. I would teach at a "lilly (I think you mean lily with one l, but that would be a school thing...) white school, or a school with students of color, whatever is the best opportunity for me to blend teaching and coaching. Why YOU are so focused on my career and racial scenarios is strange to me, but I know race is a big issue for you. Most likely I will teach in a school that has a vast majority of white students - that is the case with most schools around my location. So, I guess you're racial bullshit comment is wrong (again).

Again - if you care to answer my questions, I would be curious to know - and maybe someone will quote you, despite most not giving a shit about what you have to "say."

Have a great day on YouTube, Skul. :0008

And thanks for the comments by others about my teaching and posting. Kind words, I appreciate them.

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Mags, thanks for the post on your teaching solutions. When I get some time this weekend, I will address the thoughts you laid out. I appreciate someone taking so much time to post and give their thoughts. It is how we learn... not that some give a rip about that around here... cheers!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Lumi

LOKI
Forum Member
Aug 30, 2002
In the shadows
This state is trying to rise up out of the shit hole we found ourselves in because of scumbags like you.

This state is trying to rise up out of the shit hole we found ourselves in because of shit heads, scum bags and thieves who couldn't give 2 shits and or a fuck about the peasants !

We are the peasants !

Pay your taxes to your LORD !

It really doesn't matter anymore, Pro Union, Anti Union, anti-pasta salad ! The system has failed !

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1dy2_XJsv4U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It is a microcosm of the Kingdom of the Divided States of Amerika, not ....

THESE UNITED STATES

I use PURPLE to combine the colors of red and blue, because us grunts at the bottom of the shit pile need to be UNITED ! NOT DIVIDED !

Something that I will use another Military Analogy to describe, oh shit, not again... :facepalm: :142smilie

Anyways...

It doesn't matter what color you are,

YOU ARE ALL GREEN ! ! !

YOU ALL BLEED RED

We really need to come together,

go ahead and fire off the Rodney King jokes,
I was there too ! I HAD TO TAKE UP ARMS AGAINST AMERICAN CITIZENS ! IN AMERICA !

Do you think that gave me wood ?

Whatever FECAL FLURRY is on the horizon,
we are going to have to drop our differences and become a UNITED FRONT !

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1dy2_XJsv4U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c0wmSjB9lQo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hurricanes, Prepare !

Earthquakes, Prepare !

Economic Collapse, Prepare !

any natural disaster can lead to civil unrest !

do you want to stand in a bread line after the next hurricane rocks your world?

Be Prepared ! Not Scared !

Funny how be prepared has become mainstream now :mj07:

Do you have ?

1) The skill to survive and get your family through an "Oh Shit scenario"?

2) the gear ?

3) the guts to do it?

Skulnik

Truth Teller
Forum Member
Mar 30, 2007
Jefferson City, Missouri
Sadly, I had to endure another one of Skulnik's offensive, bullshit posts due to it being quoted - this time directed at me and some kind of convoluted race/liberal ASSessment based on zero intelligence on the subject.

Skulnik, what level of education did you achieve? Do you have children? What is your job? I don't believe I've ever seen anything from you about this - I would be curious to know since you are so free with your ANALogies about others. Maybe you'll share, maybe you won't. Guessing these questions might not be things you'd want to explain, but maybe they would be. If you do, maybe someone will quote you and I'll see, otherwise I won't. Trust me - I have better things to do with my time than "peek" at your inane posts, as you seem to dream about repeatedly here.

To your comment here, this is my response: What I do know is that you could give a lesser shit about any ghetto schools - that is obvious. There is a big part of me that would relish the opportunity to tackle an inner city school that does suffer from many of societies ills, a lack of quality teachers, a lack of equipment and financial support from state, federal, community and especially parents. Not from a liberal perspective, but from the perspective that it would be a challenge and I'd hope that my efforts could result in helping some kids that might not ever get real help. There aren't any schools like that within an hour of where I live, and I don't really want to drive 2/3 hours a day in addition to teaching and coaching for another 10 or so each day which is what the usual teaching day will be for me (I hope). Especially with gas prices what they are and probably will be. There are some more rural schools that suffer from many of those same problems that might be an option for me. Hopefully I will have some options - both teaching and coaching.

I would take a job at most any school that I thought would be rewarding for me from many different reasons. I would teach at a "lilly (I think you mean lily with one l, but that would be a school thing...) white school, or a school with students of color, whatever is the best opportunity for me to blend teaching and coaching. Why YOU are so focused on my career and racial scenarios is strange to me, but I know race is a big issue for you. Most likely I will teach in a school that has a vast majority of white students - that is the case with most schools around my location. So, I guess you're racial bullshit comment is wrong (again).

Again - if you care to answer my questions, I would be curious to know - and maybe someone will quote you, despite most not giving a shit about what you have to "say."

Have a great day on YouTube, Skul. :0008

And thanks for the comments by others about my teaching and posting. Kind words, I appreciate them.

Have a great day on YouTube, Skul.

Thanks, I will. Don't be mad because I show Youtube videos that prove people wrong, some people don't believe until you EXPOSE people in their own words, it TRUELY is a PITY that you can't handle the TRUTH.

:0074

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home

jmo

WHY DON'T YOU JUST FUCK OFF

Lumi

LOKI
Forum Member
Aug 30, 2002
In the shadows
Lumi, that last post put me in a "Oh Shit scenario"...

:D :0074

Sorry Chad !

Reading the crawls on all 3 of the cable news nteworks are showing that there is minor civil disobedience. How long can the people who got whacked by Irene deal with out power, water, and the basic creature comforts of the 21st century?

I don't know if you are goofing? :shrug:

It's OK if you are, I know that I am goofed on, it's something I deal with.

I leave again for another 10 days away from my gear. Starting monday the 5th.

I fly from Ontario, Ca, to Atl, to Ashville, NC

Then from NC to Albany NY.

Then I fly out on the 11th ! :scared :facepalm: Yes, I do have a little of a butt pucker !

I lied ! My ass is so tight flying that day that you couldn't pound a greased BB up my butt with a Ball Peen Hammer !

From Albany I go to Chicago then finally get home ! FUCK ! what a trip !

Tell me this, are you not the least bit concerned about a spiralling population on the East Coast?

NorthCom is and has trained for bad JUJU !

<CENTER>Garden Plot & Rex 84

Back in late 2010, the Army Corps of Engineers inadvertently posted information about Northcom?s CONPLAN 3502, included within information about a FEMA-simulated earthquake drill called National Level Exercise 2011.
The documents reveal how a secret Pentagon Civil Disturbance Operations plan calls for military-operated detention and search operations within the United States. It is mentioned in a Defense Support of Civil Authorities (DSCA) Handbook that was prepared by the Army?s Joint Test and Evaluation Command. It was also mentioned by General Victor E. Renuart, Northcom commander, in testimony before the House Armed Services Committee?s subcommittee on Terrorism and Unconventional Threats and Capabilities on March 5, 2008.
More information can be found here. IndyMedia provided extrensive coverage, not that the New York Times or the Washington Post noticed. The establishment press was uniformly silent.
CONPLAN 3502 surfaced again this week as the Brits scrambled to confront riots sweeping their country.
?With British Prime Minister David Cameron authorizing the use of rubber bullets and water canons in wake of the turbulent London riots spreading through Britain, questions have been raised about how authorities in the U.S. would respond to a similar domestic disturbance threatening the nation?s stability,? writes John Hudson for the Atlantic Wire.
?According to National Journal?s White House correspondent Marc Ambinder the U.S. already has a game plan in place. ?If what happened in London ever happened in the US, the military has plans ? CONPLAN 3501 and 3502 ? to suppress the ?insurrection,? he tweeted. The mysterious reference to a numbered military plan generated a flurry of interest on Twitter as NPR hostMichele Norris shot back: ?I want to know more about the military?s plan to suppress any potential ?insurrection.?? CONPLAN 3501 and 3502?????
Hudson continues:
Interestingly, the CONPLAN (which stands for an ?operation plan in concept format? at the Pentagon) Ambinder referenced is a popular subject among conspiracy theorists and critics of martial law. According to the public policy organization GlobalSecurity.org, CONPLAN 3502 is the U.S. military?s plan for assisting state and local authorities in the event of a riot or major civil disturbance: ?Tasks performed by military forces may include joint patrolling with law enforcement officers; securing key buildings, memorials, intersections and bridges; and acting as a quick reaction force.?
The Brits may be scratching their heads, but the feds over here in the states have had plans in place for decades to deal with civil unrest. Following the riots of the 1960s, the U.S. Army and National Guard devised Operation Garden Plot. Infowars.com reported the posting of several declassified documents detailing on Operation Garden Plot back in 2009.
Garden Plot still exists and is now under the operational command of Northcom. It was last activated during the attacks of September 11, 2001, and also became operational during the 1992 Los Angeles riots.
Hayden?s Note:

It is my belief that Operation Garden Plot and Noble Eagle-like activation was witnessed in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina. I was a police officer there at the time and it fulfilled the plan to a T. Joint patrols with civil authorities, checkpoints for major arteries in and out of the city, soldiers and Humvees stationed at major intersections and bridges, assistance in imposing an unlawful curfew against all citizens, gun confiscation, and even business checks. These ?patrols? involved the use of thermal image cameras mounted on the Humvees, looking for warm bodies moving through the darkness and debris, riding with various SWAT teams and responding to gun fights, looting and even conducting traffic stops and simple drug enforcement.
I happened to get into a short argument with one soldier in early 2006 when they were still assigned to patrols of the streets. I asked him under what authority was he operating. I questioned him as to if he understood what the Posse Comitatus Act and Insurrection Act meant and stood for. I further stated that their continued presence was a slap in the face to the Constitution, the Rule of Law and the citizens of the city. Normal, everyday, law-abiding people were terrified of the military patrols and convoys, hiding due to the terror incited by the Amtrak train station prison, stories about prolonged detention incommunicado and abuse at the hands of varied pseudo-law enforcement agencies, such as the NYPD Corrections team, California Highway Patrol and private contractors. I witnessed all of these fears first-hand, so they were not wild conspiracies or irrational fears.
He simply handed me a piece of paper and said, ?This is my authority.?
It was a general directive from his commander as to his duties. I laughed and told him he was a silly little puppet with his head in the sand and that only civil authority, i.e. the Sheriff?s Office, State Police and the New Orleans Police Department, the uniform that I was wearing, had authority to be conducting any of these operations. He waddled back to his Humvee, which had a large anti-vehicle machine gun attached to the top and began chatting with his fellow soldiers who all simultaneously looked up in anger at me.
It should be noted that these soldiers, from out-of-state, were still patrolling and involved in drug and traffic enforcement well past the ?emergency.? The Hurricane struck the city at the end of August, 2005 and the military had a strong presence until well past Mardi Gras ? February/March/April of 2006. It was not until September of 2006 that the Insurrection Act was amended to allow the President to deploy troops for law enforcement duties during natural disasters but even that was repealed in the 2008 Defense Authorization Act.
Annex A, section B of Operation Garden Plot defines tax protesters, militia groups, religious cults, and anti-government activists as ?Disruptive Elements.?
Hayden?s Note II:

I suppose I fall into 3 out of those 4 categories: [Income] Tax protester, militia member (every able-bodied person of the Many States), not a member of a religious cult but I would surely be labeled an anti-government activist? Then again, so would most of the Founding Fathers, so I reside in good company. I?m also into emergency preparedness, and according to one of the latest FBI bulletins, that?s a sure-sign of a potential domestic terrorist.
Garden Plot is a sub program of Rex 84, short for Readiness Exercise 1984, that established an undisclosed number of concentration camps in America for the internment of dissidents and other elements considered enemies of the state. It was first revealed during the Iran-Contra Hearings in 1987, and subsequently reported upon by the Miami Herald on July 5, 1987, so it is not a conspiracy theory

</CENTER>

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fWaNFLEZODc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Army Times Details Army Invasion of U.S.

Army Combat Team to Train for ?Homeland Scenarios? Under NorthCom

Gina Cavallaro
Army Times
September 18, 2008

The 3rd Infantry Division?s 1st Brigade Combat Team has spent 35 of the last 60 months in Iraq patrolling in full battle rattle, helping restore essential services and escorting supply convoys.

Now they?re training for the same mission ? with a twist ? at home.

Beginning Oct. 1 for 12 months, the 1st BCT will be under the day-to-day control of U.S. Army North, the Army service component of Northern Command, as an on-call federal response force for natural or manmade emergencies and disasters, including terrorist attacks.

It is not the first time an active-duty unit has been tapped to help at home. In August 2005, for example, when Hurricane Katrina unleashed hell in Mississippi and Louisiana, several active-duty units were pulled from various posts and mobilized to those areas.

But this new mission marks the first time an active unit has been given a dedicated assignment to NorthCom, a joint command established in 2002 to provide command and control for federal homeland defense efforts and coordinate defense support of civil authorities.

After 1st BCT finishes its dwell-time mission, expectations are that another, as yet unnamed, active-duty brigade will take over and that the mission will be a permanent one.

?Right now, the response force requirement will be an enduring mission. How the [Defense Department] chooses to source that and whether or not they continue to assign them to NorthCom, that could change in the future,? said Army Col. Louis Vogler, chief of NorthCom future operations. ?Now, the plan is to assign a force every year.?

The command is at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs, Colo., but the soldiers with 1st BCT, who returned in April after 15 months in Iraq, will operate out of their home post at Fort Stewart, Ga., where they?ll be able to go to school, spend time with their families and train for their new homeland mission as well as the counterinsurgency mission in the war zones.

Stop-loss will not be in effect, so soldiers will be able to leave the Army or move to new assignments during the mission, and the operational tempo will be variable.

Don?t look for any extra time off, though. The at-home mission does not take the place of scheduled combat-zone deployments and will take place during the so-called dwell time a unit gets to reset and regenerate after a deployment.

The 1st of the 3rd is still scheduled to deploy to either Iraq or Afghanistan in early 2010, which means the soldiers will have been home a minimum of 20 months by the time they ship out.

In the meantime, they?ll learn new skills, use some of the ones they acquired in the war zone and more than likely will not be shot at while doing any of it.

They may be called upon to help with civil unrest and crowd control or to deal with potentially horrific scenarios such as massive poisoning and chaos in response to a chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear or high-yield explosive, or CBRNE, attack.

Training for homeland scenarios has already begun at Fort Stewart and includes specialty tasks such as knowing how to use the ?jaws of life? to extract a person from a mangled vehicle; extra medical training for a CBRNE incident; and working with U.S. Forestry Service experts on how to go in with chainsaws and cut and clear trees to clear a road or area.

The 1st BCT?s soldiers also will learn how to use ?the first ever nonlethal package that the Army has fielded,? 1st BCT commander Col. Roger Cloutier said, referring to crowd and traffic control equipment and nonlethal weapons designed to subdue unruly or dangerous individuals without killing them.

?It?s a new modular package of nonlethal capabilities that they?re fielding. They?ve been using pieces of it in Iraq, but this is the first time that these modules were consolidated and this package fielded, and because of this mission we?re undertaking we were the first to get it.?

The package includes equipment to stand up a hasty road block; spike strips for slowing, stopping or controlling traffic; shields and batons; and, beanbag bullets.

?I was the first guy in the brigade to get Tasered,? said Cloutier, describing the experience as ?your worst muscle cramp ever ? times 10 throughout your whole body.

?I?m not a small guy, I weigh 230 pounds ? it put me on my knees in seconds.?

The brigade will not change its name, but the force will be known for the next year as a CBRNE Consequence Management Response Force, or CCMRF (pronounced ?sea-smurf?).

?I can?t think of a more noble mission than this,? said Cloutier, who took command in July. ?We?ve been all over the world during this time of conflict, but now our mission is to take care of citizens at home ? and depending on where an event occurred, you?re going home to take care of your home town, your loved ones.?

While soldiers? combat training is applicable, he said, some nuances don?t apply.

?If we go in, we?re going in to help American citizens on American soil, to save lives, provide critical life support, help clear debris, restore normalcy and support whatever local agencies need us to do, so it?s kind of a different role,? said Cloutier, who, as the division operations officer on the last rotation, learned of the homeland mission a few months ago while they were still in Iraq.

Some brigade elements will be on call around the clock, during which time they?ll do their regular marksmanship, gunnery and other deployment training. That?s because the unit will continue to train and reset for the next deployment, even as it serves in its CCMRF mission.

Should personnel be needed at an earthquake in California, for example, all or part of the brigade could be scrambled there, depending on the extent of the need and the specialties involved.
Other branches included

The active Army?s new dwell-time mission is part of a NorthCom and DOD response package.

Active-duty soldiers will be part of a force that includes elements from other military branches and dedicated National Guard Weapons of Mass Destruction-Civil Support Teams.

A final mission rehearsal exercise is scheduled for mid-September at Fort Stewart and will be run by Joint Task Force Civil Support, a unit based out of Fort Monroe, Va., that will coordinate and evaluate the interservice event.

In addition to 1st BCT, other Army units will take part in the two-week training exercise, including elements of the 1st Medical Brigade out of Fort Hood, Texas, and the 82nd Combat Aviation Brigade from Fort Bragg, N.C.

There also will be Air Force engineer and medical units, the Marine Corps Chemical, Biological Initial Reaction Force, a Navy weather team and members of the Defense Logistics Agency and the Defense Threat Reduction Agency.

One of the things Vogler said they?ll be looking at is communications capabilities between the services.

?It is a concern, and we?re trying to check that and one of the ways we do that is by having these sorts of exercises. Leading up to this, we are going to rehearse and set up some of the communications systems to make sure we have interoperability,? he said.

?I don?t know what America?s overall plan is ? I just know that 24 hours a day, seven days a week, there are soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines that are standing by to come and help if they?re called,? Cloutier said. ?It makes me feel good as an American to know that my country has dedicated a force to come in and help the people at home.?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg