World Matchplay

Stanley

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 26, 1999
Manchester, England
www.tour-tips.com
DTB, yes, the site will be back up next week. Have negotiated a better backup computer while my laptop is being repaired :p

Sad state of affairs when any player gets that abuse on a golf course. Personally, I think we may see Monty move into semi-retirement after this season. I doesn't have the drive of a Nick Faldo to continue past his peak and I'm pretty sure he could live without the harrassment on American courses, especially in the Ryder Cup in 2004.

crookycymru

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2002
Wales (United Kingdom)
HELLO EVERYONE!!

HELLO EVERYONE!!

Hello all. I am anew member having joined yesterday. I work for William Hill in the UK. Betting mad mgith know me as I posted a few picks on your site during the last few months.

Anyway, I plan to start posting some picks each week and interacting with you all.

I was on Ollie as well Mettingmad, and was devestated to see him go out especially as I convinced my self he would win it. However I got on Zinger at 7/1 this morning, and he is my pick now. I see he is all square on the back nine.

What do you all think?

crookycymru

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2002
Wales (United Kingdom)
Just a quickie about Monty!!

Just a quickie about Monty!!

And I promise I will learn to type as well! :)

Just a quick word about Monty. It was a shame to read so many insults about him in one of the other message boards. One described him as overweight, sulky, and crap.

I personally think he is a credit to the game. He is an excellent golfer, and definitely the best not to win a Major. Heckling is acceptable in most sports, but not in a game as intense as golf, so he has every right to feel aggreived by you Yanks teasing every time he vists your shores. I hope he swallows his pride and goes back to the USA where he is still undoubtedly capable of winning many tournaments.

All Toast to Monty!! :toast:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Cartman88

Forum Member
Feb 3, 2001
Gold Coast Australia
crookycymru,

I agree with your views on Monty. Whilst he has certainly under achieved on US soil people seem to have forgotten that the guy won 7 consecutive Order of Merits on the Euro tour.

Monty seems to have an attitude that if people treat him with respect then he returns the favour. The US crowds have certainly given him plenty of flack and whilst it generally has been uncalled for I think he would be the first to admit he could have handled these situations better.

It is a real shame that one of the best players of the past 10 years will more than likely not win a major.

bettingmad

Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
Yorkshire, UK
www.bettingmad.com
Welcome on board crookycymru!

Re: Monty
He is undoubtably an excellent player and a credit to the game.
But you do not win as many consecutive order of merit titles without being ultra-competitive. Personally I believe this competitiveness is what loses him fans... he is all smiles when everything is going OK... but cannot take it well when something goes wrong.. the bottom lip starts to curl.... as he expects so much of himself. If a player wears his heart on his sleeve like that then it's too tempting for some yobbos to goad him even more. He needs to learn how to sing "smile though your heart is aching".... for something to concentrate on during the bad times... after all we all have them.

(I'll be singing it myself tonight if Magee wins Tucson)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
Saw the discussion on the wheel and thought I'd add they were the 1st I ever wagered and don't forsee them as a viable option unless you really like or in this case oppose someone. I simply had set my limit at $150 for this matchplay event because of what I deemed an event too hard to cap for myself and it gave me a shot at good return with minimal risk.

Ice Picks

Forum Member
Dec 26, 2000
Richmond, VA
Saturday PM re-cap & Sunday's Picks

Saturday PM re-cap & Sunday's Picks

1. McCarron [W] holed a 40 footer on 18 against Zinger
2. Sutherland [W] on Faxon's 3 putt from 12 feet at 18 -
unbelievable !!!:)

For the day: 5-1

Finals:

This is hard to judge - McCarron seems the obvious choce as he finished 2nd last week. But Sutherland has beaten 2 of the lower seeds, and McCarron only 1.

McCarron has beaten:

Monty [20] 2-1 - with an ace which Monty almost duplicated
Weir [13] 1-up
Garcia [4] 1-up
Lehman [28] 4-3 - Lehman falls apart on back 9
Azinger [25] 1-up - Zinger makes a crucial error on 18

Sutherland has beaten:

Duval [3] 1 up in 20 holes - Duval loses 17 and 18 and a 2 up lead
and don't forget Duval is reigning British Open champ...
McGinley [30] 2-1
Furyk [14] - who was one of my favorites to win outright
Toms [6] 3-2 - reigning PGA champ goes down
Faxon [47] - hands the match to Sutherland on 18 with crucial 3 putt after Sutherland had handed him the match by missing left where Aziniger had missed...unbelievable.

McCarron has beaten an average of the 18th seed
Sutherland has beaten an average of the 20th seed, despite ousting 2 top tens...

These guys know each other and played against each other in high school. ABC execs are pulling out their hair...

1. McCarron over Sutherland - simply because he has seemed to putt better and better with the long wand as the week has progressed...he convinced me he still has ammo in the tank after he came back against Lehman to win after a grueling match with Garcia...

2. Zinger over Faxon - better attitude prevails, I think, and Faxon has displayed some weakness in his putting...

Good luck...IP:cool:

Clive

Forum Member
Apr 18, 2001
Oxford, England
www.take624.com
Welcome on board crookycymru, too, I think.....interesting that you tell us who you work for. You realise now that we will be monitoring to ensure that your company does not shorten selections given here!!

It will, of course give us the opportunity to ask you to feed back to your company on a variety of issues. I'm sure, others will add to this!

Some ?s;

Why do you not offer the option of enhanced places in Senior betting, as do Stan James, and Surrey, who go 1/4 1-5?

Will you be offering LPGA prices this year? We now have regular prices from Ladbrokes, Surrey, Stan James, as well as a number od indies and an increasing number of offshore books.

all the best

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

lostinamerica

Forum Member
Oct 10, 2001
Between Green Bay and Iowa City
World Match Play Championship

Like a fool on cue, I can't close out the week without taking a side in the championship match. Plenty of reasons to support No. 62 seed Sutherland in this spot. I thought there might be slightly shorter odds on McCarron, which adds to my suspicions that I am being suckered into a lovely trap. Does McCarron watch an old chum pour salt in his wounds from last week?

McCarron(-145) over Sutherland

GL

bettingmad

Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
Yorkshire, UK
www.bettingmad.com
For anyone having a bet on the final and fancying a better price... Stan James have odds for 18 and 36 hole results..
McCarron 11/8 to lead at both, Sutherland 2/1.

Clive,
You don't have to worry about what Hills or other bookies offer.. with the winners you have tipped in the last 3 weeks..... Olazabal 50/1, Tewell 50/1, Atwal 50/1 (Dougherty 40/1 on the brink).... they will all be barring you anyway :D

Last edited:

crookycymru

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2002
Wales (United Kingdom)
Nice to hear from you Clive.....my opinion over the prices is that companies like Stan James etc need to offer concessions like that since all their business is generated from online and telephone betting, thus attracting more sports punters betting on sports like golf etc. William Hill will always make big profits from what comes through their shops e.g race to race horseracing, greyhounds etc, and this is something other companies cannot rely on. However should it develop into a situation where all bookmakers offer those odds, and William Hill would be liable to suffer from loss of custom, then I am sure the odds will be reviewed.

With regards to your LPGA prices, I can have a look into that for you tommorrow. Was there any paticular player you was interested in??

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

hoss

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
England
Evening to all, was just browsing the forum + thought I should stop by + register to assist with the UK perspective! A quick couple of questions for crookycymru - what do you do for WH given as they are Leeds-based + you live in the land of the Dragon? + secondly (+ I know it's from a different thread) who did the NASCAR match-ups you mentioned.

Best of luck to all + hope to contribute positively in near-future!

bettingmad

Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
Yorkshire, UK
www.bettingmad.com
Re Stan James
They do not offer online betting.. the prices are for guidance only (and have quite often changed when you phone for a bet). They also have a chain of about 14 shops round Oxford.
I would say that the way they have pushed sports betting over the last 5+ years has created a lot of extra interest and forced other bookmakers to lay odds as well or face losing custom.

William Hill do not offer 1/4 1-2-3-4-5 on any events because they probably look at golf betting as a low interest sport compared to horse-racing & football - so why offer improved odds to a limited clientele (e.g. sharks like Clive) - and if their profit margins on it are not high they are unlikely to want to give more money away.
The only way to ensure they (and other tight bookmakers) offer 1/4 1-2-3-4-5 is for everybody to stop having bets on golf with them until they change. If turnover is reduced to zero - so is profit - and that's when positive action would have to be taken to gain more market share. ... i.e. offer better place proportions, etc.

crookycymru

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2002
Wales (United Kingdom)
Who said I live in Wales?? I am from Wales and extremely proud of my nation. In interests of everyone my position in William Hill shall remain anonymous :)

With regards to what you said Bettingmad, I think what you are saying is very similar to the reasons I gave. It is more important for firms like Stan James to promote their golf betting paticularly as they do live in running betting on most tournaments on Sky etc

hoss

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
England
Crookycymru, Your profile says you are a 22yr old shop manager! You obviously don't know who some of the people on here are!!
:brows:
Ps you never answered my second question!

PPS While I'm here thanks to Stanley for his excellent website v.useful for all!

crookycymru

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2002
Wales (United Kingdom)
Hoss you are beginning to become a pain in my ass!! My position with William Hill is none of your business, and neither does it say anywhere in my profile that I am a shop manager. It doesnt even mention where I live or what I actually do, and please dont bring the fact that I am only 22 years of age into the equation.

I joined this site to hopefully pick up some good tipsters to follow, and for me to post my own picks as I make a large profit through gambling....not to be heckled by the likes of you asking me what I do!

With regards to your 2nd question the firm who set those match ups was bet365.com. I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for a wide range of betting opportunities.

Now I`d like to hope that all questions in future are sporting issues or gambling issues that I would gladly be able to help with.

hoss

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
England
Crooky, Allright I'll leave you alone now! Just wanted to make sure you not telling tall tales - we are a close knit bunch up here in the Yorkshire punting community! a
Bet365 are a decent firm when it comes to pricing things up (ex-Hills staff you know!), but their liability settings on the net are awful!! I'll have a look at their motor racing stuff now.
All the best, look forward to seeing your posts.
Hoss

PS Did anyone out there manage to back Sutherland - I can't comprehend it !

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bettingmad

Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
Yorkshire, UK
www.bettingmad.com
DTB managed to secure some 25/1 on Sutherland to be placed.

The results lately have been bookies benefits....too many lst time winners...

Sergio Garcia Mercedes
Craig Parry NZ Open
Tim Clark SA Open
Jerry Kelly Sony Hawaii
Justin Rose Dunhill
Phil Mickelson Bob Hope
Retief Goosen J Walker
Chris Williams SA PGA
Chris DiMarco Phoenix
Ernie Els Heineken
Retief Goosen Dimension Data
Matt Gogel AT & T
Richard S Johnson ANZ
Justin Rose Nashua Masters
Jose Maria Olazabal Buick Inv
Len Mattiace Nissan
Nicholas Lawrence SA Tour
Arjun Atwal Singapore Masters
Andrew McLardy Royal Swazi
Ian Leggatt Tucson
Kevin Sutherland World Matchplay

If Olazabal had not won the Buick would have been a poor year.

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
1st Post

Hello fellow golf cappers. Pleased to finally find a place where we can share our views and insights into upcoming tournaments. Hope I can add something to the forum and learn a little at the same time. I have been betting on golf as means of beer money throughout Uni, and now in graduation while attempting to find a career for myself.

I hate to start with a vent but I've taken McCarron the last 2 weeks and feel like killing the choker. Plus I had Slocum at 150/1 for the Tucson along with Magee and Chamblee. Will strive for better fortune next week.