Rugby World Cup (Continued)

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

crookycymru

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2002
Wales (United Kingdom)
Pawa,

I think Hoss will agree with me on this one.....we both have slightly different staking systems for our posts. You will find that the large majority of my bets are one point plays, the stronger bets are two points, and the maximum bet would be a three pointer. Hoss has slightly increased units, where a one point bet posted by Hoss would be a minimum bet, and his two point bets are probably the equivalent of my one point bets.

Confusing but I am sure he will not mind me saying that. The reason I brought this up is I am telling you to get off your Aussie ass, pick up some of that coin you are sitting on, and lay it down on Romania. I am in a bit of a rush to get out, so will post a full write up later. I will post it as a standard one point bet, but I am sure Hoss has his reasons for going to the max with this one.

Good Luck :)

hoss

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
England
That's a pretty accurate summary :D

I post on a scale from 1 to 5 pts - 1pt bets are generally leans where I can't resist it, or think there's a bit of value - 5pts are absolute pile-on jobs :cool: - and very few + far between.

The comparison with Crookys stakes are about right - I have more bets than he does + probably am happy with a slightly lower percentage win, as the extra turnover does the rest.

Needless to say - I fancy Romania strongly!!;)

hoss

ps How would you guys price the NZ v SA quarter final? I've seen the odd line + I think it's a bit out!

Mr.

Director
Forum Member
Nov 22, 1999
Toronto, ON
GL tonight Hoss! Will be on it with ya! (of course :p ) Grabbed it at -17.5

my book has NZ / SA at -16

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

crookycymru

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2002
Wales (United Kingdom)
Thursday 30th October

Namibia vs Romania

Not a game to set the pulse rating, but I have already pointed out that these games between rugbys minnows are often the best betting heats.
Namibia have already been exposed as the worst team in this tournament, and will struggle to compete against even Romania, who are far from world beaters themselves. However, the Romanians have a very strong and robust pack, that should destroy the Namibian forwards. Neither of these sides have any class behind the scrum, apart from maybe Romanian winger Gabriel Brezoianu who has the potential to be dangerous against weak opposition. However, up front, Romania have a number of forwards playing first class rugby in France, and have a gem in prop, Petru Balan who returns from injury. He is vital to this Romanian side, and they really ought to outpower Namibia in the forwards.
The teams will have targeted this one as a must win game, as soon as the draw was made, many months ago, and anything less than a hefty Romanian victory, will be a disappointment for outgoing Romania coach, Bernard Charryere, who has been told that he is to leave his position after this game. A strange decision, as he has restored a little pride back into Romanian rugby after their three figure drubbing by England a few years ago, but they ought to give him a good send off here, at least.

1 Point Romania (-18) at 5/6 with PaddyPower

Pumpkin

Forum Member
May 9, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Namibia have nothing :thefinger

I had this game at 25 and that was with an early report of poor weather conditions. But with the weather not developing i can't see how where Namibia (or Nambia as one TV report called them)can score points.

Romania are too big too strong and basically too good.

This is the world cup final for both teams and Romania are too well drilled to let this one go

UT-Longhorn

U.T. Texas Ex
Forum Member
Jul 13, 2002
Texas
Guys, would yall think the Romania ML is a safe bet tonite? Im thinking of laying a dime on Romania ML to pick up one unit tonite, anyone else think thats a pretty safe play?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Mr.

Director
Forum Member
Nov 22, 1999
Toronto, ON
Thanks Hoss!! Love waking up to some extra money!!! Gonna have to send you guys some maple syrup or something! :D

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

crookycymru

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2002
Wales (United Kingdom)
OK another great winner this morning. Full credit to Hoss for hitting it big. Good to see a large American following involved. Spread the word around the site guys.....some of you Yankees never come into Off The Wall!!
:mad:

Friday October 31st :scared

France vs U.S.A

It is going to take more than Halloween night to enable the Eagles to beat the French. The witch will have to cast her greatest spell on Les Bleus for them to trip up tomorrow, and even if she did, France would be still guaranteed to top their group.
The Eagles have played well in this tournament. The score did not do themselves justice against Scotland, while they should have beaten Fiji. After easily dispatching of Japan, they will want to bow out of the tournament with their heads held high after tomorrow. It might be worth noting that they have been big money makers so far, covering the spread in all their three matches. They retain the majority of their team, so yet again this means a strong pack, let down by some inept backs, who struggle at this level.
Somewhat strange was the fact that French coach Bernard Laportes told the press that the team that faced Scotland, bar injury, will be the team that will play in the quarter finals. This is strange timing on his part, as it leaves his men who play tomorrow, with little to play for but pride. They can hardly claim to be pushing for a test selection. Dont get me wrong...you still see a formidable test team on show tomorrow, but there are also players who are relatively new to the test arena.
It is worth risking the fact that this may well turn out to be a lacklustre affair tomorrow, and it may well be the case that some of the French will be disinterested. The Eagles certainly have the forwards to win quality posession, and if Mike Hercus has his kicking boots on, he might be able to take advantage of French ill disicpline. With a spread of nearly forty on offer, take up the opportunity, and back the USA to cover the spread for the fourth successive match.

1 Point U.S.A (+36) at 10/11 with SportingOdds

hoss

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
England
Record now 16/9 +18.5pts :cool: :D

Comfortable enough cover today, although they did take their foot off the gas a bit too much in the second half. Thanks for the kind words - well done to Crooky + Pumpkin too - you too should post your records too - we must be making stacks between us!!

Decided to leave tomorrows game alone - would probably have backed France off the existing handicaps, but they're playing their second string + the USA defence has looked reasonably solid. It takes a well drilled back line to break down a decent defence this often + I'm not sure France will manage it. USA will be playing for pride, but again playing 4 days after such a draining match, against fresh opponents will be tough.

I'll have a day off - good luck to Crooky :)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Pumpkin

Forum Member
May 9, 2002
Canberra, Australia
No play for me as the French have been one side I can't get a feel for - I'm with them when they don't cover and against when they do

With reports of high winds and the stadium they are playing at being right on the coastline I cant see a high scoring game. May look to find a totals play

Pumpkin

Forum Member
May 9, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Finally came up with a play for tonight's game

Going to take total score under 58.5 at sportsacumen.

Is at $1.85 but still think the wind will make it difficult for both teams

1pt under 58.5 total game score

Mr.

Director
Forum Member
Nov 22, 1999
Toronto, ON
hey Pumpkin or anyone else.....any consesus on this match? Can't seem to find one with how many people are betting each side. Thanks

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

crookycymru

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2002
Wales (United Kingdom)
France 41-14 U.S.A

Quite an amazing cover of the spread, with France leading 26-0 at the break. However, the Amercians came out second half with a few bullets up their asses.

I am not just talking out of my pocket here, as the Americans have been money makers all tournament, but I have been really impressed with them. To take into consideration they have only a few full time rugby players, what they have achieved is quite amazing. I gave fly half Mike Hercus a bit of a ribbing after his game against Fiji, but he has bounced back and impressed me. Stalwarts Dan Lyle, and Dave Hodges have been superb, along with many others in the forwards. However, the one player that stood out for me is inside centre, Phillip Eloff, who has been ultra impressive. He plays his rugby for the Chicago Lions, but not for much longer after this I suspect. If I was a coach of a northern hemisphere team, I would have no hesitation in signing up a few of these Americans.

Hoss I intended to update my record after the group phase. I am thinking about backing a few of those quarter final spreads I see at Bet365 early, as I suspect those lines wont be around come gametime. :rolleyes:

Back later with tomorrows picks, and will be updating the Celtic League thread. :)